“COCKROACH INFESTED & DISGUSTING!”
Review of Hotel Soleil

Hotel Soleil
Ranked #280 of 345 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Khao Lak, Thailand
“COCKROACH INFESTED & DISGUSTING!”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel 25-27March & it was, without a doubt, the most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed in!
I had booked a Superior room and my friends had booked a Premier room. Upon check in I was wrongly allocated a twin-bedded room, which was quickly changed to a kingsize bed room that not only smelled horribly of bleach & cleaning chemicals but also had a cockroach infestation in the bathroom. The hotel staff dealt with cockroach by scooping it up into the only drinking glass in the room & told me that if I found any more they would try to change my room! The bathroom was unclean (soap wrappers & hair from previous guests lined the bathtub & soapdish) and the towels were greying, fraying & smelt stale.
The room itself & communal areas faired no better. All the paintwork was badly chipped & dirty, the carpet was filthy & ridden with cigarette burns, the few pieces of furniture which weren't broken had a number of deep cigarette burns, as did the bathtub.
Mini bar in room was empty. TV had just 6 channels, only one of which was in English.
I had a look at my friends' Premier room, which had cost twice the price of my Superior room, and it was exactly the same size etc. except that the furniture and carpet were less disgusting and the TV was flat screen.
Next morning, after a very unremarkable breakfast, we left the hotel, returning at lunchtime to find my room had not been made up & I had to chase housekeeping to arrange this.
The following morning I was woken by housekeeping knocking on my door in error, despite a Do Not Distub sign on my door. Awoken again at 11.00am in mild panic thanks to hotel fire drill! No warning had been given about this & when I contacted the Duty Manager to find out what exactly was going on, the phone was cut off 3 times, Finally, at 11.45 a letter was dropped into my room to advise me that the fire drill was taking place. (Having been involved in a real hotel fire &evacuation a number of years ago, I know first hand how scary & disorientating it is to be woken by a fire alarm!)
Upon checkout I asked to speak to the Duty Manager, Mr. Tony Jafar, and I listed all of the complaints above, and also pointed out that there had been a young prostitute and her pimp using the lift on the night we arrived, only for him to laugh in my face, literally laugh.
I am an experienced traveler, living in Thailand and I’m well aware of what to expect in a 3* hotel, sadly Radius Infestational does not even meet the standard of a 1* backpacker hostel. In summary, this hotel is absolutely disgusting. It is in a great location for bars & nightlife, but there are so many other hotels nearby that couldn't be any worse, in fact, even a night spent in a gutter would be preferable to staying here. Beware!

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel would be preferable!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Shake2Wake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed here just 2 days back as it is centrally placed. The rooms are spacious. But the drain of the washbasin was not working.

When we wanted to complain about it, the phone also was not working.

It is a old, ill-maintained hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Khao Lak, Thailand
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed here from the 25-27 March and will never return. My wife and I went for Premium Executive room, when I saw my first thoughts were for my friend staying in a simple Superior room!
-The pictures are deceiving as they look nothing like the room offered
-After checking in we shared the lift up with a prostitute and her female pimp (I'm not a prude and live in Thailand but this was meant to be a decent hotel)
-Ordered room service and to my amazement I had to pay when it was delivered, good job I had already got some money.
-Room service food of burger and chips was cold, hot chocolate was tasteless
-Morning buffet breakfast was not very appetising and not what I'd expected
-No mini-bar
-In-room safe not working, told to use safety deposit book in reception
-Room spec promised fresh fruit in the room but there was none
If you choose to stay here, I would suggest you take a superior room as it's half the price of the Premier and basically the same set up but saying that my friend who stayed in one of these had a cockroach for a pet that was taken out by staff in the glass provided for to drink from, cigarette burns in furniture and sheets, cleaners knocking on her door at 8am despite 'do not disturb' sign.
Just to add to all this on the morning of the 27th March they were apparently testing the fire alarm system which our friend heard on the 11th floor and woke her to a panic. When she phoned down they explained it was just a test and at 11:45 she had a letter delivered to her to say a fire alarm rest would begin at 11am. Now us on the 17th floor heard no test which is worrying!!!
Taxi service was great value and good quality for airport transport. Water pressure was great! Staff were generally helpful except for the duty manager who was laughing as the complaints were listed out to him.
Sot to sum up DO NOT STAY HERE unless your only other option is to sleep on street, but that being said the street is a viable option!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank jamkat1
Tokyo
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We have had in the past stayed at Radius . 3 or 4 times for period of over a week each time but that was when the hotel was in much better condition ,
over the years it seriously deteriorated
and we finally decided to never go back after a serious bed bugs issue
that was a bit more then a year ago ...

we have tried since Pacific Regency which offers now apartments at a very decent rate through booking.com or Agoda

though now staying at Furama which fulfill ours needs ...
in term of quality, cleanness , price and services
such as breakfast , pool , gym and free cable internet

we decided to paid a visit today to Radius, checked if rooms had been renovated
visited couple of rooms at 17 floor;
Fact is : not much as been done to improve its standard the very same old smell, tired carpet, lousy wifi ... at slightly same rate than Regency or Furama ...

why bother ?

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Ok hotel in the heart of Kuala Lumpur where everything is around you shops, restaurants, etc., but still think it very pricey for this part of the world, but it served our needs for seeing & experiencing Kuala Lumpur. Nearly forgot to say, you get breakfast & has a lovely pool as who wants to spend the whole day out in that heat shopping or sight seeing, or sitting in a hotel room. So it was nice to do the sight seeing by morning & veg in the afternoon by the pool. Lastly too many hotels are charging far too much for having a pool & including breakfast.

Room Tip: Be fairly high up as this is a noisy city.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed with my family and my friends. I was hoping will get excellent greeting.
We reserved the rooms 3 weeks before we coming. When we arrived there, the lines its soo full! Many people who want check in and check out. Until my turn got served with them and they said "rooms are fulled"
This is ridicolous!! You cant say that if we have document if we reserved the place! Never happen in my time, if we already reserved they saying so easily the room is full!
Terrible room.. Stain everywhere in bed. Bathroom Oh My Wow soo old.. I just cant stay that anymore!

Not recomended!!

• Stayed December 2011
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This 3 star hotel is located just behind the famous Jalan Alor. The room is big, but it is quite old. This hotel provides free WiFi as well! On the left side of the hotel, you can find lots of bar, restaurant & cafe there. 7-11 is right opposite on this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple