“Great hotel”

Ranked #53 of 340 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
miss303
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in Hotel Maya just before Christmas. I am quite surprised reading some of the previous reviews as we loved this hotel, granted we have a deluxe room as it was our honeymoon but from what we saw of the hotel it was in very good condition.

Our room was huge with an amazing view of the Petronas Towers. The breakfast was really good and all the staff we came into contact with were polite and helpful. The pool was great. We went one morning after breakfast and as we seemed to be the first people that day we had it all to ourselves. The person manning the pool and spa gave us of tour of the facilities and turned all the hydrotherapy jets and sauna on for us. It was really relaxing and the massive open window was really nice.

I guess some of the smaller rooms might not be as well maintained as ours and we may have been lucky but we really enjoyed our stay. This hotel is in a great location and for honeymooners, a romantic and relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank miss303

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The photos don't do justice. The hotel, while centrally located within walking distance to KLCC, is worn out. The walls, windows and everything in the room except for the sheets and pillows are old.

The remote controls don't even have covers (where the battery is).

Apparently, there's free coffee and tea in the 13th floor lounge from 9PM to 11 PM and the staff didn't tell us about it. We only found out because I read some tips on the web that the view from the lounge of the Petronas Towers is amazing. I would except that this is something they'd recommend to visitors.

When I asked for a room with a view of the Petronas Towers, I was told we'd have to wait so I settled for the room that the staff said had a view of the KL Tower. I was disappointed to see that the view of the KL Tower was about 80% blocked by a construction of a new hotel. I'd appreciate if they had been more honest about it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I'm simply going to title this review as 'missed opportunities'. Firstly the positive. The hotel is in a brilliant location, has large rooms and is excellent value, in other words sensible rooms rates. The hotel has many opportunities to go from simply an average hotel facing ever increasing competition, to a truly great hotel. I note the following from my stay in a junior suite (907) during December. I requested with my reservation a high floor with a decent view. Upon arriving at the hotel, the Front Office Clerk made no effort to stand and welcome me, she remained seated. As a first time guest, no acknowledgment of this was made. I was asked for my passport immediately. Following entering my passport details no 'welcome to Hotel Maya' was delivered. In fact no empathy or genuine hospitality was shown during check in. Room 907 is certainly not on a high floor, and no reference as to why my request could not be met was made. Upon arriving at the room, I noted my door, as most others was covered in scratches. If you paint hotel doors in high gloss black, this is what will happen. I note the following defects in room 907. The wooden floor is worn and requires re polishing, paint work around edges is sloppy, all towels are worn and threadbare, no face towels supplied, loose fittings in bathroom especially the sink tap and toilet roll holder, low floor junior suites are very near the main road and therefore very noisy as window glass is thin, the fabric on the sofa is worn and dirty especially on the edge, most surfaces are quite dusty, the hall floor is coming apart (I walked over it in bare feet and the wooden blocks stuck to my feet), air conditioning cold no matter what setting it is on and blows directly onto the bed, stationary creased and stained, the Internet modem's blue lights positioned above the bed give the room a neon affect when all the room lights are off, no fluffy mat in the bathroom and blinds jam when closing. The above may sound pedantic, but please note I am a hotelier and strongly prescribe to the notion of attention to detail. A lot of the above can easily be rectified and make a sizeable difference in quality to the property. I strongly recommend a few more thorough room inspections by management before rooms are released for occupancy.

Room Tip: Do not choose a low floor close to the front of the hotel - very noisy.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed 1 night in the junior suite with a bunch of friends. Everything was generally pleasant, from the checking in to the checking out. I enjoyed the free welcome drink at the lobby. The staff have been helpful and friendly. Hotel room is spacious and the toilet is clean. Only fault was the toilet door which did not close properly. Hotel breakfast was ok as the variety was limited, but I really liked the porridge!

However, the only grouse I have with regards to the hotel is the fact that my email after checking out was not replied. My friend had forgotten to bring her jacket back when we checked out and I had emailed the hotel to see if they have kept the jacket but there was no response at all. I am very disappointed as I have indicated in the email that the jacket holds a lot of sentimental value to my friend. And I have expected them to give me a prompt reply even if it is a negative one.

Despite that, I would still recommend this hotel as the location is perfect and the room is awesome.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Hotel Maya is located within walking distance from the Petronas Towers. I was slightly disappointed with the hotel especially since I had stayed at a high quality hotel for several days before moving to Hotel Maya for a seminar.

Service level in reception and in the breakfast room was very good. I had dinner in the restaurant one night. Few people and average food. Breakfast was better.

The hotel responded quickly when I had to change room due to the traffic noise outside at night. I got a new room less exposed to the main road.

The bathroom is quite special with wooden floors. I am only interested in the shower and it worked.

Television was a major disappointment. Very few channel of interests.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank retired43Oslo_Norway
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night in the junior suite for a quick getaway. Perfect stay! Beautiful room layout and perfect interior design. The rooms are a little aged but the cleanliness and hotel hospitality makes up for it. Had some problems connecting to their in-room wifi but the hotel staff quickly responded and fixed the issue.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SarahAbdRahim
Al Jubail, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We need a 1 night stay in KL City Centre for our shopping spree and some qualitiy time away from the kids. Hotel Maya found the be the most affordable hotel in KLCC area.

There are just 2 things that can set the hotel aside from other 5 star hotels in KLCC vicinity; the roof top terrace and the bathroom setup.

Other than that, the TV obviously needs upgrading, the car parking is a bit narrow, and the entrance is a bit tricky perhaps due to co-sharing building with another entity.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple