“Always a favourite place to stay...”

Hotel Maya Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #68 of 348 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 11 March 2009

This was my second stay at the Maya, the first being in 2007. I chose it then because it allowed a 7am checkin (when you have an overnight flight, an early checkin or even just the chance to shower is luxury!! Checkout is 2pm). I also think that being right around the corner from the Petronas Towers (KLCC) means that this hotel is in the right place (easy to find, just follow the landmarks!!) as well as unique. Staff are friendly and helpful (a past complaint I've heard about this place, but I suspect they've been focusing on this, as staff were really helpful on this stay).

Last time my room overlooked the cemetary with a view of KL tower, this time I had a view of the twin towers (stunning at night!!). The bathrooms are an absolute treat - separate bath, great shower and they have an amenities box with toothbrush, razor, nail file, cotton bud as well as supplying shampoo/conditioner/bubble bath/bath salts and bathroom scales (great for checking my luggage weight, since I was flying Air Asia). The bed is comfy, room service reliable, choice of 3 restaurants, dvd and large television.....what more could you want??

Well, my absolute top favourite thing is the hydrotherapy pool. After a long flight, to jump in the heated water and jump under those jets that pummel the aching jetlagged body is just the best feeling. I also had booked a package with free reflexology at the spa which was done poolside and really enjoyable (the ginger tea that comes with the treatment is the best!!).

Breakfast is yummy (choice of western or asian) and the restaurant is really stylish. Minibar is expensive (seems to be a trend in Malaysia), but there's a supermarket at KLCC if you want to grab your own supplies. Internet is free in the business centre. Each room has robes, slippers (useful for the spa), safe, iron and a complimentary umbrella.

The only negative feedback I can offer is that because of the layout, sometimes it can be a bit noisy (especially if there's been a function in the business centre) - there's an open layout and noise rises from the driveway. Out of the total of 7 nights in 2 stays, I've only had problems at night on one occasion, and when I rang to complain (despite swearing I'm not one of *those* types of people!!), it was handled well by staff.

I love this hotel, will stay here again next time I'm in KL. Oh, and last time I did loads of walking, including to KL Tower and Bukit Bintang/ Sungei Wang....this time I took taxis. For less than 5 MYR (about $2 AUD) it was so much easier than dodging the traffic when the KL footpaths vanish suddenly!

This is a really stylish hotel, but really reasonably priced (I paid 400 MYR which is about $170 AUD or $120 USD for the package, which included breakfast, spa treatment and early checkin/late checkout)

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 February 2009

I booked Hotel Maya after reading extensive reviews on TripAdvisor of most hotels available in KL. I found that the hotel website was also quite useful in establishing the room layouts etc but of course nothing better than reviews of people who've visited the place already!

From outside the hotel is nothing spectacular, a rectangular block but easy to locate because of its height and as our coach stopped very near to the Petronas Towers, it was a mere 5 minute walk to get to Hotel Maya. The lobby of the hotel is situated on the 1st floor however this was not difficult to find as the Concierge was very helpful. The ground floor of the hotel has several restaurants. Great interior decor with a lot of water!

The staff was very courteous and helpful. Check in was seamless. We were upgraded to a deluxe suite after a few minutes in a standard room. The standard room was cozy and a good size. The bathroom was fantastic although it was glass walled and the curtain was on the bedroom side and not the bathroom side. So may not be ideal if you aren't travelling with a partner.

The deluxe suite was grand, very large and spacious. A good thing because it had plenty of space for the shopping bags we later accumulated! The bathroom area was lovely! Walk in closet, tv speakers in the bathroom so that one can hear whatever is going on tv! The rain shower was luxurious as was the bath. The decor was black laquered and thus had clean corners and gave a very sharp, modern edge to the room.

The tv was facing a couch which was comfortable enough however I'd have preferred the luxury of watching tv from the bed. Especially since the hotel provided a large selection of DVDs complimentary for us to watch. A good thing since the normal channels were nothing much. Although the hotel does not have double glazed windows, the noise from outside was barely audible and not a cause for concern. I would recommend requesting a room facing the Petronas Towers as we learnt that some rooms face a cemetary.

The breakfast spread was not that wide ranging and certainly has room for improvement. The night cap at the Sky Lounge is a must do with the spectacular view of the Petronas Towers. I recommend checking the bill at check out thoroughly as a mini bar amount was charged to our room which was then later erased after I questioned the details of the charge.

Overall, the hotel was an absolute delight and I look forward to our next visit there!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2009

Ok, i began a 19 day tour of asia, the first night was at Hotel Maya.
I arrived and they couldnt get my credit card to work and then wanted me to pay up front and treated me like a crook. Then i booked a massage and book a table at the hotel restaurant.

So after a massage where i was nipped all the way through i went to the restaurant where i didnt have a booking apparently.

However they were empty and i got a table.

I had kobe beef and tuna sashimi

I was tired from my flight and went to bed.Then 6 hours later i woke with horrific pains and collapsed on the way to the bathroom i woke an hour later and was covered in everything my body had rejected, and continued violently. I tried calling reception and they couldnt understand that i needed help. I had to check out at 12 to get to singapore and whilst throwing up in the reception they couldnt care less about my condition and were more concerned with me paying for the meal dispite my explaining that i had been given food poisioning from their hotel restaurant, no one apologised. I finally managed to get to Singapore where they called me a doctor which then took me to hospital and had my stomach pumped. It took me a week to recover. So all in all i would give this place a miss.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
6  Thank monkeychops43
Reviewed 7 February 2009

I stayed at Maya on the way to Thailand and Traders on the way back. Traders was good and with excellent views of the towers, however the lounge bar really is a bar and although it was still enjoyable, we were squeezed in and ended up just like a night out rather than a night staying in the hotel. Still good hotel though and the breakfast was excellent, however more business hotel.

Maya though was absolutely fantastic. I am gob-smacked that some people did not like it, although with that said one of the great features is the heated pool and for some reason this was empty both times we used it.

The hotel is stylish and our room was fantastic (we upgraded to the suite and I had an interesting bath whilst being able to see the rest of the rooms as glass walls.

The staff were very helpful, although dont let them book you a hotel taxi to the airport, tell them you just want them to get you a normal taxi and it is 2/3 the price.

Food was lovely, and try and get at least a drink in the bar (a bit pricey but worth going to at least for the magnificent view of the towers.

For the room, excellent value for money and would definitely stop here again if in KL.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2009

We’ve got some mixed feelings about this hotel:

As we arrived we were given a room on the top floor with no view despite that made the bookings 6 month in advance and specifically asked for it. The room was horrible, looked old with poor with a very strong mill dewy smell coming from the aircon. The windows were old and left most of the noise in from the street. We went to complain and finally were offered another room which was ok but still far from luxury. I had a constant feeling that it was dated and in need of renovation.

On the other had, the bar was amazing and the swimming pool is also not bad. We tried spa – nothing special to be honest, expensive but definitely did not meet my expectations. Breakfast is good, fresh fruits, variety of yogurts and so on.

All in all, pity, cause location is really great and this hotel could have been much better!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2009

The hotel in general is ok, ok room. However the theft incident at the Hotel on my last day of stay has ruined my whole vacation. I do not recommend the hotel due to the following reasons:
1) It is very unpleasant that my newly purchased skin care products a worth of 300 RM was stolen/taken from my room without my permission.
2) Hotel Management neglected talking to me personally to check the exact details when handling the incident, but making false assumption on what has happened. The only thing I got from them was an email indicating that I have filed a false report and didn’t bother to explain why house keeping returned/took one of the products.
3) The hotel will not connect me further to the supervisor of the division room manager who handled this incident. They claim they don’t have a general manager and that they are all equal on the same management team. Does this mean that the division room manager does not have to report to any one or?

Up to now after contacting the hotel many times, I have no hope in getting my products back or any compensation in my losses and the unpleasantness it has caused me. By writing this review, I hope the future travelers will not have to go through something similar by staying away from this hotel. Believe me it really does ruin your entire vacation and your days back home.

• Stayed: January 2009
3  Thank ama55
Reviewed 26 January 2009

Stayed in Maya for 2 nights and loved it. Really modern feel and real attention to detail. Staff where super friendly and could not do enough for you. The room was comfortable as was the bed and I loved the glassed bathoom with monsoon shower. The Spa was nice as well and the bar had amazing views over the Petronas Towers (3 min walk across the road) If I ever go back would def stay again.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple