“The largest Room I ever Stayed Inn....”

Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #62 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Dharmshala
“The largest Room I ever Stayed Inn....”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Best view of the city as it is in the city center......Best in class hotel...... Eight Floors of Shopping Complex is Amazing.....You will be tired of shopping but u cant finish going all around the mall in all the floors....

Room Tip: A good hotel to stay in the city center and best place for shopping.....
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GuptaVarun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights at the start of out holiday, and 2 nights at the end.

I will start with something that really annoyed me. We booked direct on the hotel website, and when we checked out the first time, I asked could we book in for our return to KL in two weeks time, at the same rate. The staff member just flat out refused to help, saying I need to log onto the website to book. I am standing at the hotel reception and he wouldn't take a booking??? I asked him to ask his manager, and he wouldn't. That experience should have turned me off booking again, but because of the location we did book again..... via the website, for about 30% more than our first stay.

Ok, to the hotel itself. The lobby is very impressive and looks great. Check in was fine, and the bags arrived to our room immediatley. The room was large, with a kitchen area, lounge area and seperate bedroom area. The bathroom was again large, and was quite well appointed, and clearly in its day would have cost alot of money to build. The bed was rock hard (typical in asia).

The cleanliness and general state of the room and furnishings was not great. The furniture was old and tired, with alot of stains. The cupboards were all chipped and the doors didn't all work properly.The carpet was not vaccuumed properly when we got there. There were some mouldy bits in and around the bathroom. There was a blood smear on the TV cabinet (this would have been easliy missed though). I am making it sound like it was filthy.... it wasn't horrible, if it was we would have walked out, there is just some work to be done.

The location is great, as it is above a large shopping centre, so there are places to eat close by as well. It is only a short taxi to KLCC (not more than RM10). A word of warning on the taxi rank outside the hotel... they charge a fixed rate, and this is quite simply a rort. It is price fixing to get more profit, when the actual rate is heaps cheaper. They refer to this as a convenience rate. All taxi's have a sign on their door that "this is a metered taxi, haggling is not permitted".... yet they do blatant price fixing. We would walk out to the street and down a bit to get a taxi that would use the meter. I would say you will pay up to 50% more by using the rank.

The pool is absolutely huge. It is on the 15th floor and has a nice view of the Petronas Towers and skyline.

Overall it was still a good place to stay, with large rooms and in a good location. It would be just nice to see them make more of an effort updating furniture and cleaning the room better.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TheClarkeClan
M0NDIMECJA, General Manager at Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.
Your comments are invaluable to us in helping us gauge where we stand with our service delivery and product.

Please accept my sincerest apology for the inconveniences experienced during your stay with us recently. I have since addressed the cleanliness concern with our Executive Housekeeper and she has personally assured me that it will not be repeated.

Rest assured, we will endeavour to provide the best service to all our esteemed guest and fully appreciate the opportunity to do so by esteemed guests such as yourself.

In the meantime, we do hope to be able to serve you again in future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We recently decided to stay 4 nights at the Berjaya Times Square when returning from a wonderful week in Penang.
We had been to KL previously when we stayed at the Renaissance but we decided to stay here on the recommendation of friends and also some good reviews on Trip Advisor. We weren't totally disappointed but some things can definitely do with improvement.
Check-in was really slow and so was our check-out. This was really annoying as we had a long wait to clear up a discrepancy in our late check-out charges. I think this bears explanation so that other travellers are forewarned.
We were traveling with my sister and brother-in-law who had made their booking through Expedia. We had booked directly with the hotel. At check-in we both requested a late check-out and were told the amount payable. Because we were checking in together we each knew what the other would be charged. Both of us were told the same amount. When we checked out, I was charged more than my sister and brother-in-law for the late check-out. I queried this and was told that the rate was more because I had booked directly and my brother-in-law had booked online! This just didn't seem right to me and I asked to speak to the duty manager who didn't show but instructed the booking clerk to refund my money. This delay stretched our check-out to 45 minutes in total. So, fellow travellers, please be warned to check and query these "extra" costs.
Other hotels we have stayed at, and paid for a Club upgrade, have all had express check-out and check-in facilities for clients paying for this upgrade. This is something the Berjaya Times Square Hotel needs to look into. Another thing they need to do is create a separate Club Lounge [as per other hotels] for Club clients. Our privileges only extended to drinks in the public Broadway restaurant/bar with a set menu of canapes each day. This was between 6pm and 8pm each day. This was nowhere near as good as the facilities offered at the Traders Hotel Penang, where we had just spent a week [this review is elsewhere in TA].

Our room was really large, very clean and looked like it had just been refurbished. However, there was a large wasted space which was just begging for a sofa or table and chairs for dining. This space just had a large lamp in the corner. My attached photos will give a better idea. The room actually looked like a suite without the bedroom partitioned off. The bed was really comfortable and the free wi-fi was excellent with no drop-outs. The bathroom was huge with a separate shower and bath and two separate wash basins [see pics]. The desk was more than adequate with plenty of room for a laptop and other work-related stuff. There was plenty of hanging space and drawers for our clothes. This is a definite plus for the hotel.
The service, apart from check-in and check-out, was above average. This extended to room service and also table service in the Restaurants. The buffet breakfast in the Big Apple is excellent with an amazing spread laid on each day. The service around the pool is also excellent: and the pool area itself is exceptional for a city hotel. It wouldn't be out of place in any resort.
The location of the hotel is perfect with easy access to the monorail and nearby shopping malls. Times Square itself offers a great choice of shops and eateries. So if you find yourself hotel bound because of a tropical rain storm you don't have to worry - you can spend many hours just exploring the centre and the attached, indoor amusement park without leaving the premises and risk getting soaked.
Petronas Towers and the KL Tower are a short cab ride away or a 20 to 30 minute walk if you are feeling up to it in the heat. Sungei Wang shopping centre is just across the road. Many bargains to be had there and the food is cheap and really good.
So, would I stay there again? Only if they make the changes I mentioned earlier.
In my opinion the Renaissance offers much better value for the Club Lounge client at present - even if they do charge for internet access.

Room Tip: Make sure you check your room carefully BEFORE unpacking. This can save you a lot of grief in the ev...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write to us. Your feedback and comments are valuable to us in our efforts to improve our standards of service to serve you better.

On behalf of the team, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your stay with us recently.
I have since addressed this with the Front Office Manager and he has assured me that he will ensure that this does not happen again.

We have also taken note of your comments about the refurbishments and the executive lounge and have hghlighted this to our owners as well.
Rest assured, we will endeavour to provide the best service and product to all our esteemed guests.

In the meantime, we do look forward to be able to serve you again in future.

Mandal, Norway
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Very nice hotell. The food where very good, the room where nice and big. A good fitness center with a pool.
The hotell have a central position in Kualu Lumpur and the service was excellent. The security where very good

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Room rate offer is deceiving. Benefits of guest is being robbed off for deceiving room rate. Unhelpful & unfriendly staff , non smoking room with thick smoke smell that keeps ,emerging after re-entry to room.

Furniture a bit worn out and bed is hard.

Food was no doubt remarkable

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Isadora R
M0NDIMECJA, General Manager at Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing to us.
It is with invaluable feedback from esteemed guests such as yourself that gives us the opportunity in gauging where we stand with our service delivery.

On behalf of the team, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your recent stay. We are very concerned to hear about your encounter while you were here and would like to ensure that we endeavaour to improve.

As we are unable to trace the room number and the actual booking name from this site, please contact the Hotel directly to enable us to investigate further and thereafter take comprehensive remedial action to ensure that a similar encounter is not repeated.

My team and I are always committed to our guest comfort and satisfaction and look forward to hearing from you.

Berjaya Times Sqaure Hotel Kuala Lumpur

Travellers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Reviewed 19 March 2013

great hotel location fantastic specially the location and the service..

the breakfast is great when it comes to variety there is alot of halal food of its not all..

the food had a buffet which is the best, too bad it ends in 1030 am.. very early.

through the whole stay, one thing that keep me in this hotel is the receptions ahmad who was can speak different language and can deal with different requirements that we needed, include check in, and alot of city tour explains, he offered us to call him anytime he wishes...

see you times square

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alotaibi1234
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The location was good. Great shopping mall downstairs, 5 mins walk from bukit bintang for more shopping! The lobby was really grand and nice, hotel room was rather nice as well, got a nice view of KL city from my room. Guess they were really busy, only managed to get to get my keys at around 3pm. Which was fine. However, when i went in, the dustbin was not cleared, it still had rubbish from the previous guest.... There was no toiletries as well ... which must have been forgotten by the staff... I am not really particular about it so it's fine. But i guess i should point out for those who are. Breakfast was included, variety was good. Had a really nice breakfast!
All in all, the only plus point of this hotel is the very nice city view and the posher feel to it.
I have been to couple other hotels in the vicinity with the same level of service, slightly cleaner and cheaper. Guess it depends what you are looking for in the hotel to decide if it's good for you or not.

Room Tip: request for higher floor for a nicer view of KL city !
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jo y
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing to us. We are glad to know that your stay with Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur was a pleasant one overall.

On behalf of my team, I must apologise for the oversight on the part of our staff for not clearing the bin in your room. This is definitely not acceptable and we certainly do not take something like this lightly. I have since addressed this with the Executive Houseekeper and she has personally assured me that this will not be repeated.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can assist with anything.
We do hope to be given the opportunity to serve you again.