“Nice gesture from Patricia”

Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #61 of 347 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My second stay at the hotel. For the first stay, a fruit basket was given, hence expecting one this round too. However, accordingly, my current superior room package is not entitled to a fruit basket. Even though this is the case, Miss Patricia from Concierge of the hotel has generously offered one. Her kind gesture is much appreciated, this is what good service is about.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Mondi M, General Manager at Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear Tinghca,

Thank you for taking the time to write a second review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your positive comments about our team members’ services. We believe in welcoming our guests as if we were at home, and I am happy to hear that your experience was of a positive one. This feedback will certainly inspire the team to be outstanding in their service delivery. We look forward to welcoming you back with us again in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I am not giving this hotel the best rating that I could because they did not deliver the promised service.

Prior to booking a room I contacted the hotel about the benefits of taking one of the Premier rooms. I was told that I would be able to use the facilities of the corporate lounge which included breakfast and a happy hour daily from 6pm to 8pm. On arrival at the hotel I was told that there was no such benefit to be had even though I had copies of my emails. I was a bit pissed off with this as I don't like to be mislead. On our last day at the hotel when we went to breakfast the staff asked us why we werent using the corporate lounge for breakfast as we were entitled to it. So, there were big communication issues with the hotel as their staff in the reception area had no idea of this facility. One staff member at reception told us the mini bar was all free apart from the alcohol (there was no alcohol in the minibar!) and 2 others told us it was not, so I just didnt know what to believe so naturally I didnt touch the minibar. The standard of English speaking of the reception staff was quite low also, several staff had no idea of what I was trying to ask of them.

The hotel itself was ok, it is situated right next to a huge shopping centre, across the road from another and around the corner from many other great shopping areas. Plus the monorail is right there if you need it. The room was big but whilst the bed was very wide it was not very long and too short for me and I am only 6 foot tall. The room was kept to a clean standard and the cleaning staff were very patient and accommodating.

The bathroom shows a fair bit of wear and tear but it is still good enough, the shower was quite powerful which I like.

Would I stay there again? No I would not as I don't like being deceived/misled, call it what you want.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Our third stay at Berjaya times square hotel. And as usual, we are happy with service. We have booked 2 rooms( 1 superior and studio) and I've requested for both to be on the same floor for convenience. Instead, we're upgraded to a 2 bedroom deluxe. Very happy abt this as its very convenient for the whole family, bringing us together but maintaining privacy. However, we hope that the hotel could change the sofa set as i believe these have been used for many years. Overall, happy with the experience again.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Masdiana

Dear Masdiana,

Thank you for taking the time to write a second review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your positive comments about our team members’ services, and the positive write up of your stay experience. We believe in welcoming our guests as if we were at home, and I am happy to hear that your experience was of a positive one. This feedback will certainly inspire the team to be outstanding in their service delivery. We look forward to welcoming you back with us again in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Our first impressions on arrival was a huge building (twin towers of 43 floors) and a very busy and noisy lobby. We were soon propelled up an elevator, across a long walkway to the East tower and another elevator trip.
The room was a big disappointment as it had a bad smell of stale smoke, and the TV didn't work. As we were going to be there for three nights, we asked for a change.
After 30 minutes of animated phone calls we were given a smoke free room with even better city views. (Including the Petronas twin towers and the TV tower.)
The apartments consist of lots of little rooms and furniture. A bit of a maze actually. This is not open planning.
Other comments: Older style decor in maim rooms, but the bathroom still has Italian elegance due to all that marble.
No information is provided at all. This almost meant us taking a cold shower before we discovered that we had to turn on the hot water system. (The switch is not in the bathroom.)
However the air conditioning was very effective and controllable.
No hair dryer, clock radio or night-light is included. Only one suitcase rack.
The bedroom is a little strange. The beds are too close to the wardrobe. There are no ceiling lights and no reading lights. One bed has a small side table and lamp. The other bed has nothing! No table, no light, no access to light switches. The beds themselves were reasonably comfortable.
The TV is intended for viewing mainly from the lounge room, but can be swivelled to be seen from the bedroom. But from only one of the beds.
It's almost as though the apartment was designed for a single occupant only, with a spare bed for an occasional "guest".

The lounge room also has no ceiling or reading lights. Just one floor lamp.
As already mentioned, the bathroom area is excellent, but for one safety problem: There is no grab-rail to help getting out of the bath and no step to the lower floor. Would have also liked another, longer towel rail and more clothes hooks. (But I say that about all hotel rooms.)

The TV has Only one English news channel (BBC), a few movie channels and some networks have programs in English. Not the sharpest images I've seen.

WiFi: A tortuous path to get connected. The password is on TV Ch 4, but is very blurry, so had trouble reading it. Need to start the browser to enter the user name and password. Once up and running, the data rate is variable but can be quite fast.

The only maintenance issues were a broken phone, three failed ceiling lights and a broken lamp switch. The only writing implement provided was a broken pencil.

Food: The only meals we had here were breakfasts. Very good range on offer except for the unreal orange juice. But rather a trek to get there from the East tower. About 10 minutes. Try to get a window table.

Overall the hotel was comfortable enough, and in a great location, particularly for that huge shopping mall in the middle. Nice patio/garden area and childrens' play area on the 15th floor. The size of the hotel means that there are many other communal facilities and services.

Room Tip: if a tourist, ask for highest floor with city towers views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jdandjm

Dear jdandjm,

We thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to review our hotel.
Your stay experience was of a great concern to us and we deeply regret for the inconveniences you had encountered, and certainly not indicative of the quality of service that we strive for.
Rest assured that your feedback will help with our coaching and training of our team members to ensure that such occurrences are minimised. Will it be possible for you to contact me personally via email and advise us your booking confirmation numbers to facilitate the investigations and respond appropriately to you, whilst addressing your concerns?
However I am happy to read that you have enjoyed the facilities and the location of the hotel and do hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to stay with us under better circumstances, in the near future!

mondi.mecja@berjayahotel.com

Reviewed 7 December 2013

This was the most welcoming hotel that I have stayed in. Bakir at the front desk is a most helpful and truly wonderful representative of this lovely hotel. Our room was large and very quiet. Everyday was made special by the staff. The guest relations person Syahid was their to greet us everyday and help us.Syahid my sister and I enjoyed your company and can't wait till we return to berjaya. We will miss you all.

Room Tip: No smoking
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Recent

Dear Recent,

We were extremely delighted to read your review of the hotel and pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay, in addition to the excellent location and surrounding areas. Your comments will certainly be beneficial to other readers around the world! We sincerely appreciate your positive comments about our team members’ services. We believe in welcoming our guests as if we were at home, and I am happy to hear that your experience was of a positive one. This feedback will certainly inspire the team to be outstanding in their service delivery.

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

The room was spacious and comfortable. Extra bed and toiletries arrived within minutes. The reception staff could be warmer as the first experience of the hotel is front desk.
Daily housekeeping was good even without tipping. We asked for an extra bathrobe as there were 3 of us. As we had gone down after 10min, and came back after 20min, housekeeping staff came knocking on my door within 5min of my return. A phone call to check if I had received my bathrobe was a good gesture.
The hotel location is central and near bukit bintang, which is a shopper's paradise. It is well connected with Imbi monorail station.
Concierge staff are very helpful but they do not speak English well. They are also not familiar with the location and how to get round to the various tourist destinations other than taxi. Once I asked for a hotel taxi to KLCC and I was told that the hotel taxi is not available: there is a kiosk just outside the lobby. He did however try to link us with another taxi operator outside who asked for RM20. The staff then advised is to catch a cab on the road, who asked for RM15 and settled for RM10. In most I established hotel, the location map showing the major points to get to the tourist spots are available - eg taking the Go-KL free shuttle to KL Towers, how to transfer from monorail to LRT using cards/how to buy tickets. It is rather disappointing as the staff seem to be mostly trained at the hotel school within the premises. I would have expected the staff to be more familiar with the area.
Breakfast was great - it came together with the room. Wide spread and staff offered service when asked. It would have made me happy to have a more cheery staff to start my morning.
Swimming pool did not have a life guard, only security guard who was policing people with inappropriate attire. But guests still disobeyed when he was out of sight. There were no towels given at the pool; must bring your own towel from the room.

Stayed: December 2013

Dear PMalar,

We thank for your feedback about our hotel and for taking the time to write your review.
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise on behalf, for the lack of information provided to you by the team as well as the less than friendly associates that you had encountered. I have shared your feedback with the team to ensure such recurrences are not repeated.
However I am happy to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and our rooms as well as the prompt follow up call by our team members to check on your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again if your travel plan brings you back to Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Have stayed at this hotel before but this time had two of our grandkids with us and had a two bedroom deluxe room which was ideal , food wise there was plenty of variety for the kids to chose from and the two bedroom set up was excellent as far as privacy was concerned, looking forward to staying again.

Room Tip: we like this hotel because each room is like a little flat with separate areas unlike normal hotels...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Stephen B,

We were extremely delighted to read your review of the hotel and pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay, in addition to the excellent location and surrounding areas. Your comments will certainly be beneficial to other readers around the world! We believe in welcoming our guests as if we were at home, and I am happy to hear that your experience was of a positive one, the second time around. This feedback will certainly inspire the team to be outstanding in their service delivery.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again if your travel plan brings you back to Kuala Lumpur in the not too distant future!