“Dissapointing”

Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We decided to have dinner here on the spur of the moment. You have to make an advanced booking 3 days earlier but when we got there tables available so we managed to get in.
The view - as expected - was spectacular and as the restaurant rotates therefore one could admire the view all around as one dined.
Dinner was a Malaysian and Mediterranean buffet. The food was average. Some of the buffet trays were empty and were left that way for a while. The service was slow, and some of the waiters were actually quite abrupt and rude.
After dinner we had to get a taxi from KL towers and the KL tower staff who got us the taxi charged us 35MR for a half a mile taxi ride( you do not pay the taxi driver). when we questioned this he lied about it being late at night and conveniently pretended he couldn't speak or understand English.
The dinner at this restaurant is quite expensive and we paid over 200MR per person including drinks.
It really depends what you like when traveling and dining. I would advice going to the observation deck at night for the view and then going to dinner elsewhere if you actually want to enjoy good food as the food here is really nothing special. On the other hand if you don't mind the quality of the food it can be an interesting experience. It would be a good idea to arrange for a taxi to pick you up after dinner or else could end up paying a lot for a taxi ride if you get the staff at the front to call one for you.

2  Thank Netf13

Reviewed 26 November 2013

What can I say that has not been said already? The tower offers a splendid view of KL, especially when night falls. It rotates. If the weather is good, you are rewarded appropriately, with the Petronas Towers dominating one particular available vista.
So, if this is the kind of thing you would like to enjoy, then go to the Observation Deck, and drink in the majesty of KL by night.
What you should probably avoid, however, is going there to eat. I'm not one to write bad reviews. Quite the contrary, I always try to look for the positives in any establishment. However, this time, I didn't quite manage to run out of fingers to count on. On one hand.
The first thing that hit our group when entering the restaurant was the caterwauling piano and songstress act. I understand that some people enjoy this kind of background music, but as a music lover, I did not find this an enjoyable experience. I was irritated and perplexed to discover that even when the restaurant rotated 180 degrees, to put us at the furthest point from the discordant duo, it did nothing to diminish their volume which we had to endure.
To add insult to injury, it seemed to be everybody's birthday on this particular occasion. This gave ample excuse for an "upbeat" version of "Happy Birthday To You". A ditty which interjected itself between every two other numbers. Imagine how much we warmed to this tune by the time we got to dessert.
Another high point, was the cold-blooded murder of "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele.
Which brings us to the food.
We had the good fortune to be attending the buffet, a veritable feast of tired-looking average dishes, which did not cover all bases, and were a little thin on the ground. An empty plate is a sure sign of a good meal well enjoyed. However, one does not expect to encounter the empty plates beforehand, when they should bear some kind of sumptuous sustenance.
By far, the selection of dishes, and quality thereof, was the poorest I had encountered in KL. To compound the issue, the entire population of the restaurant was made to squeeze and shuffle in between the serving counters in order to gain a glimpse of what was available. Serving utensils were scarce. I don't know where they had all gone. Maybe somebody made the wise choice and ate them.
If you were disappointed by the main courses, then your expectations would have been suitably modified to assault the desserts. Another disappointment. I'm not a big eater. I wouldn't consider myself a connoisseur, but it doesn't take an expert in the field to work out that this experience was not value for money.
Of course, it's not all about the food - the ambience, atmosphere, and service, play a big part in any dining experience.
The staff seemed to be up to the job, but don't expect the best service. it's entirely possible that working for protracted periods up where the atmosphere is much thinner than usual, may have had an effect.
The air-conditioning... didn't seem to be working properly. KL is a hot a humid place, and you become accustomed to a certain level of comfort indoors. However, the place felt stuffy, and we were perspiring even before we had made a start on the food. The lighting was mellow, but confused. At one point, the lights were reduced to the absolute minimum for 20 minutes or so, which made it difficult to see what we were eating, or where it was, which, thinking about it, may have been a blessing in disguise. Perhaps a fun game of Marco Polo was in the works, but never transpired.
The revolving mechanism of the restaurant juddered along for 10 minutes or so, before the whole thing stopped. That was a bit of a surprise.
Our evening ended with an exciting trip in the elevator down to the level where the security guards and fire equipment were situated, and we had to make our way out of the passageways which I don't think were designed for guests. How we got there, or how we were allowed to get there, I have no idea.
It did make for a memorable experience, however.
To surmise; Don't. If you're thinking; "Oh, it can't be all that bad!", don't say I didn't warn you. You know... that guy on TripAdvisor that you don't know. ;)

4  Thank Stormachtig
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Made reservation and got a taxi as it was uphill and we'd done a lot of walking lately. It is walkable though, we were just being lazy.
A quick stop at observation deck and then further up to the restaurant. WOW!! @ the views. Food was great, a very good selection. Staff were really friendly, despite being so busy. Music, piano and sax, two singers- both amazing.
Sat there eating, enjoying the views. It was just amazing. Mmm and the desserts yum.
We weren't told the price prior to the meal but were told drinks were extra.
The meal actually came to around 400MYR for both of us. I know it's expensive for KL but the views, the selection of food, the service...I would definitely say it's good value for money :)

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Unlike some travellers, we found the food and service to be excellent. The International Buffet is to standard and no obvious flaws were discovered. Seating is very comfortable and with the added revolving nature of the place a few laps with lunch was a memorable pastime and one we would wish to experience again. For any tourist visiting KL this is a must do. Entry to the buffet secures a pass to the formal Observation deck which is a bonus to have a closer overview of the city.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My partner really enjoyed the experience. Lovely location and views. Very friendly and helpful staff.

Perfect for couples and singles.

Food is average, but everyone can find something they like, as the buffet has a god selection. There is also the option of an a la carte menu.

We went twice - first and last day of our holidays to enjoy the view and music.

Would definitely recommend.