“Overall acceptable”

The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #7 of 348 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Only provide basic necessities - no toothbrush, toothpaste or shaver
(this is a 5 stars hotel and even 2 stars hotel provided all this!)

Their internet speed is quite slow even though it's free and you need to pay extra for a high speed connection!

And you need to pay for the car park even though you stay at their hotel and it cost RM10 per entry! Imagine if i need to drive out constantly
This is the first time i need to pay for a car park when i stay at the hotel
(which normally are free if you stay there)

The room also not sound proof, can't adjust the room air con and i think i got bitten by bed bugs

Other than that the room is nice and i really like their bathroom design.

Their customer service is excellent and they always make sure to greet us

Take a high tea at their famous Colonial Cafe and honestly it's quite expensive and not worth the price (a bit noisy).
The foods was so so only

Don't think will stay here again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andy K

Reviewed 2 May 2014

What a beautiful renovation this hotel has just gone through. We only had dinner on Sunday night at the magnificent buffet. There is something there for everyone- Indian, Chinese, vegetarian, seafood, roasts and lots more. The meal also includes free flow wines and other drinks and all for the cost of $44.00 Aust !!! Just go if you are in KL!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2014

To be absolutely honest, I cannot decide whether I like or dislike the Majestic Hotel. There are many great things about this hotel which truly makes it a grand entry in the hospitality history of Malaysia. The earlier reviews have spent so much time, bandwidth and effort to convince readers of this site that they should seriously consider staying here if nothing else, for perfect service and that old-world charm. Well, I must say I cannot deny all this, which is true out and out. I shan't waste more time detailing how great the Majestic is; suffice to say that I agree with all these praises and accolades and these are what really make me want to return to stay here soon.

Just what's wrong that I cannot decide if I truly like the Majestic, you may ask. Well, four minor stuff. One, I don't really like the location of this hotel, where hailing down a taxi can take as much as 15-20 minutes and it has no conveniences within walking distance. If you're hungry as early as 9.30 pm in the evening, the nearest eatery you can get is the small warung-style stall at the old railway station opposite where you might get some snacks or a soft drink. But ONLY provided it's not closed by then, and the food is not sold out. If not, room service is about your only choice.

Two, the air con in my room is very loud in the quiet of the night. Not truly a major issue, so I simply switched off the system when I sleep. Fortunately I am not one of those who must sleep with a blanket covering me, and the room temperature cannot be higher than 22 degrees Celsius. But if you're one of them and noise during your light sleep disturbs you, then this will bother you.

Three, the dependability of the shuttle bus service is at the mercy of the (very bad) traffic situation in KL, especially during the morning and evening peak hours. I can see that the management of this hotel is truly trying to mitigate the problem of it being in the middle of nowhere, by providing this frequent convenience to KL Sentral and the Starhill shopping centre. But twice out of the four days I stayed here and used this shuttle service, the bus arrived very late which I assume was due to the bad traffic. So if you're in a hurry and in KL for business where time is precious and efficiency important, then you will feel frustrated, like me even if you know this has little to do with the hotel admittedly.

Indeed, this hotel seems more like one geared towards holiday-makers rather than the business traveller, like me. This brings me to my fourth point: the complimentary internet was terribly slow. When I raised the issue with the staff, I realised that if you want fast internet speed, you will need to pay extra for it. Hmm, I am not too impressed with it as I was given the idea that this hotel, being a world-class, five-star outfit is providing complimentary internet, as stated on its website. So, there's a catch here, after all...

Despite all these, I know I did not need to pay through my nose to stay at this historic hotel, and the services and amenities provided were more than adequate. Thank you very much to the front desk and concierge staff, many of whom exude that professionalism typical of some of the best hotels I'd stayed in during my years of business travel. John was especially efficient in answering my questions through emails, and the willingness to serve and make guests happy and comfortable seems genuine enough to me.

The design of the new wing is modern but exuding that old-world charm, and the restoration of the old wing and the so-called Smoke House is very well-done indeed. The period feel is there and especially walking to the old wing through the orchid-filled tea room, you feel that you're going through a time machine. I really like the liberal use of orchids in my room and many parts of the public areas, and the choice of beige, deep mahogany brown and ebony as the colours of the building and the furniture gives a soothing feel. I suppose if the Majestic once again offers such a competitive rate in the future, I just might be enticed to return to stay.

But that still, does not mean I have decided that I love the Majestic... maybe a second try for a final verdict?

Room Tip: I was given a corner room with bright, natural light coming in on two walls of glass windows, ceilin...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Sal the Fat Fish
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

A great experience in Majestic KL. The only hotel so far make me feel like home.

The food is okay but a bit pricey based on the ingredients used. The hotel could consider to upgrade the ingredients in line with the pricing set.

The orchid garden is really an eye opening to me.

Will be back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Edward D
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped here for 3 nights before venturing on to Borneo & Bali for our 25th wedding Anniversary Celebrations. We loved its Colonial feel & atmosphere especially drinks in the Colonial Cafe. The staff were really friendly, helpful & very professional.On the night of our Anniversary we opened our room to a path of petals, the bed all decorated beautiful & the bath filled & laden with petals...how fantastic !!
We had booked our Anniversary meal at the Mandarin Oriental months ago but that didn't stop the concierge arranging our transport there free of charge. A slight negative is the breakfast area decor & ambience which doesn't fit in with rest of the hotel. However, we wouldn't hesitate in stopping there again !!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Newly refurbished hotel very close to Kl Sentral. Efficient staff, the rooms are great and very well appointed. Large b'fast spread, but nothing special. Right next to the National museum of singapore and the national mosque.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The service in the hotel was top notch and the room was comfortable and well appointed. Breakfast offers a great selection and we had some roti that was made to order and very good. The pool did not seem to be heated but was a welcome relief from the heat. If you need to stay in this area of KL, you absolutely cannot go wrong staying at the Majestic.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family