“Best service ever in a hotel”

The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #8 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom
“Best service ever in a hotel”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

While in KL we opted for a more characterful five star option and chose the Majestic's historic wing, which appeared to offer colonial grandeur. As LHW Leaders Club members we were given the customary welcome and upgraded to a lovely large suite facing the front, opposite the old Moorish railway station. The room was comfortable and benefitted from the revamp of two years ago, with new technology and possibly the most powerful and effective air con we've ever experienced (necessary given the sultry temperature outside). I'm sure the new tower wing offers similarly comfortable rooms but you had a sensation of stepping back in time in the colonial wing which was more to our taste. One perk of our room was butler service which I've never experienced before. So special mention to Linda who looked after our every need and arguably provided the best and most personalised service we've ever experienced in a hotel. Warm, friendly and very happy to go the extra mile, Linda was a total professional. In general, the service was warm and helpful in every part of the hotel.

Downsides? Although the hotel was beautifully restored I think they went too far with modern reproductions instead of antiques, which look, well... new. It could be that much better interspersed with heritage pieces. Also, although the gym is well kitted-out, there is no changing room nearby -- so to return to the colonial wing you need to parade through the hotel in your exercise or swim-wear, in full view of everyone enjoying their afternoon tea.

But all in all, niggles. The Majestic is an excellent and well located option in KL.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed in this Colonial hotel for 3 nights in the new Tower Wings. Overall it is an enjoyable and luxury experience.

Pros:
1. Hotel staff is friendly
2. Room is very spacious, with King bed, big sofa, spacious bathroom
3. The Director of Concierge Mr Sharezal is very helpful and knowledgeable, he gave us very sound advice of where is worth or not-worth going. Go look for Mr Sharezal if you want to plan your day

Fair enough:
1. Swimming Pool - is not big, you finish a lap in 8 strokes. But not a lot of people use the pool so we have it all to ourselves. Staffs are manning the pool with good supplies of towels and water.
2. Bathroom Privacy - some people commented on the privacy of the bathroom, now they add a glass door and a curtain, so it is no longer a problem
3. Location of the hotel - I would not say it is convenient, but the hotel makes it up by shuttle buses (to key shopping area once a hour, to train station every 1/2 hour).
From the hotel you can walk to Bird Park, Little India and China Town, takes about 15 minutes.
Travel in KL is bad, so if you want to go shopping Starhill area, take subway instead.

To be improved:
1. Bed sheets - have low thread count, so it is quite uncomfortable
2. Buffet breakfast - it is widely spread-out but options are not wide, fruits are limited
3. Wifi - it is complimentary but unstable. Using portable device you got disconnected every 10-15 minutes. Lucky they do not require you to login every single time, you just need to wait for it to reconnect

Room Tip: Ask for high floor as the view is less obstructed
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Minion326
wellington
Reviewed 16 July 2014

hi I mainly dont write reviews but felt that i had to offset a recent review by gogo242. Firstly I had a beautiful experience there. We were in KL for my birthday dinner and when they found out I got a complimentary upgrade and a cake as well. Service was impeccable and you were personally recognised and greeted. Couple of comments made by Gogo242 were puzzling. firstly the hotel is nowhere near the airport! and how can breakfast be correct but marked down because the juices came from bottles...I think most juices do that..I would doubt that any hotel squeeze all their fruit juice fresh every morning. finally the hotel is a renovated colonial hotel...not tasteful? there are other modern hotels around.. The charm of majestic is its colonial look.. And how can you presume that it was staff? All inall Majestic you dont deserve that review

Room Tip: higher floor views of KL city quite exceptional
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank chuntsuchen
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was my second YTL hotel (after Cameron Highland's Resort) and I am beginning to see a pattern here i.e. I really like their hotels. I've always been fascinated with the long gone era of Malaya and The Majestic really infused that part of the nation's history with the property. Allow me to list down the reasons why I left the hotel with a big smile on my face:

1) All the staff were courteous and warm.

2) Check-in and check-out were smooth and hassle free.

3) They upgraded our room from the deluxe to the junior suite. You should have seen me running around in the room. It was spacious and oh so pretty too.

4) The buffet breakfast was extensive and very satisfying. I plan to take my family to one of their buffet dinners in the future.

5) They really maintained the hotel and there were so many things to see for a first timer. Love the concept of the Cigar Room and the Screening Room, the latter screens black and white movies for anyone to watch. Clearly, I enjoyed their facilities.

6) As staying at the hotel was my belated birthday treat, we had a staff knocking our door with a birthday cake. It was delish. Thank you Majestic.

There are however, a few things that they can improve on:

1) The swimming pool and the area next to it is too bare. I was expecting some smart outdoor decor but didn't find any.

2) The indoor service menu shows exorbitant prices that do not feel right. However, we did order them because we didn't want to leave the room. The food came in huge portions that we could almost forgive them. Still, do consider revising the prices.

All in all, I look forward to staying at the next YTL hotel.

Room Tip: Go for the Junior Suites. Not too much, not too small. Just nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BeautifulFreak
canberra
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My family didn't stay at this hotel but stumbled across it on our walk. It was beginning to rain and my children were hungry so I inquired about a café style lunch but was led into the most amazing historic building that went down into a huge buffet dining area. The atmosphere was very special - from the service, the food and dining choices, the background music, it was just a really special hour plus we spent here having lunch. For a family of four (one child) it cost $300MR but money well spent for a treat. We really enjoyed ourselves and the best thing was it was all unplanned, so even more fun.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank melloCanberra
Paris, France
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The hotel is very closed to the highway, so it is a good option if you only spend 1 night in KL and want to be close to the airport ...

We spent 2 nights at the Majestic Hotel. It is very luxury and clean. Except the very modern rooms, the hotel looks quite old-fashioned and not really tasteful, but still very luxury.

The food is absolutely horrible, we even tried the pizzas (difficult to do a bad pizza ... but yes it was!) and very expensive... The breakfast is correct, however when you book a luxury hotel you expect more quality (the fruits juices were not fresh made but came from bottle, and so on...)

The room service is very slow (need to call theme 3 times to pick up our lunch / dinner, after 3 hours)...

When we checked out, we had a whole diner that we did not order on the bill !!! The guy at the check out showed the individual bill and somebody wrote our room number, name, and signed our name ... obviously somebody from the staff, no one else could have known such information.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gogo242
TMHKL, Manager at The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Greetings from all of us at The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur.

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your constructive comments to help us in our continuous efforts to improve our customer and their dining experiences.

Thank you once again for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

From the time you arrive, till the time you leave, in staying at The Majestic, you are made to feel special and welcome. People are quite correct when they say this is a mix of colonial and contemporary design - both in service and surrounds. It is most unusual for me to seek out a grand hotel such as this and I must admit that the choice of The Majestic was part of our booking in conjunction with Pangkor Laut Resort, however as soon as I'm back in KL, I'll be back at The Majestic. The location is brilliant for people who seek to explore this city on foot; dining options are varied and sumptuous; the price is incredible; the gym and spa brilliant; shared spaces generous and expansive; service and attention to detail - second to none - and the staff - trained to be elegantly restrained and yet focussed to achieve. Congratulations guys - The Majestic sets the standard - see you soon!

Room Tip: Go high - the views are spectacular!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family