“Beautifil masjid”

National Mosque (Masjid Negara)
Book In Advance
Ranked #16 of 311 things to do in Kuala Lumpur
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Non-Muslims are welcome to visit the striking National Mosque outside of prayer time. This modern mosque was completed in 1965 and can accommodate 15,000 people. Robes are kindly lent to visitors who are inappropriately dressed.
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Unique styled architecture masjid.
A beautiful place and a must to see prayer facility while you are on KL trip.

2  Thank Zubi29
Write a ReviewReviews (1,888)
All reviews
in 17 reviews
"beautiful building"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I was with my colleague in-between meetings and he said that it was approaching the afternoon prayer time so he needed to pray and he could either drop me off somewhere and pick me up later or if I was interested, I could come to the Mosque and have a look around as long as I didn't go into the hall where everyone was praying. He said that mosques are open to everyone so I tagged along and while he went to pray, I wandered around the outside of the prayer rooms when I was approached by two surly looking guys who asked me what I was doing there and I explained that I was waiting for my friend! They then told me that the mosque was only open to Muslims and said I have to leave as I obviously wasn't a Muslim and could be a terrorist! Well, that set me off and the discussion morphed into a discussion on who most of the terrorists in the world were! Needless to say, this didn't endear me to them and they started getting agitated. Luckily at that time, my friend finished his prayers and came over and had a discussion with them, of which I couldn't understand a word but there were obviously different points of view being expounded!

So after a short and sharp discussion, we left but this experience will certainly make me think long and hard about how welcome I'll be into another mosque again!

5  Thank RayC888
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Enjoyed seeing this mosque with a beautiful blue dome.
Inside it looks wonderful with arabic inscription all around. Very welcoming for non muslims and they even provide robes for women so they can be suitably dressed inside. Very peaceful and quiet. Definately worth a visit.

2  Thank JARH08
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I enjoyed visiting this mosque. Certain attire is required for women and they provide it for you to wear during your visit. Make sure to check into what time you can visit, as it is closed during certain times of day that vary. There are also English speaking "ambassadors" who will explain about the mosque and traditions if you are interested. I found the visit very pleasant and insightful.

1  Thank jenisej