“Clean, comfortable stay”

PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #35 of 350 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Great location just across the road from Sungei Wang. We stayed on the 10th floor and unlike other reviewers, didn't hear a thing (though having said that,I've stayed at hotels in KL where I've heard street social noise eg bar sounds and karaoke from 7 floors up - so by comparison, road noise like cars honking etc was nothing to me - if the sounds were there, I don't recall hearing them). The room was very small but clean and check in and check out was very quick and painless for us (less than 10 mins each time). We couldn't get the wifi to work, so just plugged our laptop in and that was fine, a good enough connection to play Diablo 3 without lag! hahaha All in all, a comfortable stay and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,541)

Reviewed 2 July 2012

I usually stay elsewhere whenever I travel to KL. But because I got a good deal to stay at PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur for the weekend, I decided to give this hotel a try. We drove up in the night and unfortunately missed the turning because the sign was not lit. However, when we finally arrived at the Hotel Lobby, we were glad that we chose to stay here for my family trip. The lobby is spacious and the staff friendly. The passenger lift was a little tiny but my room was huge with two double beds, a sofa and a baby cot was all in place. Being a GHA Discovery member gave me free newspapers and bottled water which was fantastic since my hubby cannot get away from news no matter where he is. The main shopping area Bukit Bintang is right outside the door. Everything such as Lot 10, Paragon Shopping centre, BB Plaza and the Jalan Night Alor are all within a super short walking distance. I don't know why I never stayed here but this is definitely my choice from now onwards!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank HotMama_Dev
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We had arrived at the hotel at 12.15pm and the receptionist was servicing another guest ahead of us in the queue for an early check-in. Despite the number of guests arriving, the receptionist showed no urgency in processing the check-in.

After waiting for 15 minutes just to process the guest in front of us, the receptionist glanced at his computer screen and curtly informed us that "our room" was not ready and to return in an hour's time. While I understood that check-in was at 2pm, I couldn't understand why the guest in front of us could check-in early and found unacceptable that no effort was made to at least start the check-in process. We were merely told to return in an hour's time, with the probability of having to join a long-waiting queue all over again.

We returned at 2.30pm and another receptionist served us. Our suspicions were confirmed that we did not have a pre-assigned room which was not ready for early check-in when this receptionist asked as if we wanted a smoking or non-smoking room. Surely they had other similar rooms ready for early check-in then?

Anyway, the second receptionist was pleasant and even informed us that our rooms lacked towels and that housekeeping would be bringing them up shortly. The first thing guests usually do after checking-in is to shower, especially in a tropical and humid climate like KL's. We waited 10 minutes and called housekeeping to remind them that there were no towels in the room. Unbelievably, it was only after 45 minutes and improvising drying ourselves that the towels came.

Incredibly, the towels were removed but not replaced until much later next day (we returned to the hotel room at 3pm with the room neatly made up, sans towels). Housekeeping only came with fresh towels at around 4pm. It seems that in this hotel, towel replenishment is a separate function from general housekeeping.

This hotel also suffers from street traffic noise as it is located along a major road. Despite being on the 15th floor, honks from buses and revving of motorcycles well past midnight can clearly be heard in the room, even with earplugs on.

The free wifi was also iffy and the signal was non-existent in several parts of the room.

The hotel's location and price are about the only positive I can think of. The hotel is a minute away from Bukit Bintang monorail station and a further 5 minutes away from Pavilion Mall.

I rate the hotel average only because of its service issues.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing away from the street.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 05 nights in June. We had initially booked a superior room (on an airline package deal) but thanks to the advice of other travellers on TripAdvisor, we contacted the hotel before our trip and arranged an upgrade to a deluxe room at a cost of approx USD 20 per night. The cost was totally worth it for the extra space in the room, and the size of the bed.

We enjoyed our stay immensely. The hotel staff were friendly and polite at all times, and the cleaning staff were highly efficient - it didn't matter whether we stepped out for an hour or the whole morning, we only had to put the sign on the door and the room was tidied up, and we were never inconvenienced by having the cleaning staff still in the room when we got back (I hate when that happens). The room was great, and the bed was super comfortable - both of us had a good night's sleep every single night, which is rare for us in an unfamiliar location. The hotel's location was perfect; I am an avid shopper, and most of the major malls in KL were just a short walk away.

We did not have any meals at the hotel - there were plenty of great places to eat close to the hotel, including the food courts at Lot 10, Pavilion and Berjaya Times Square as well as the strip of Moroccan / Lebanese / Iranian restaurants between the hotel and the Pavilion shopping mall.

The only downside to our trip was the cost of the hotel taxi to the airport on our return journey - we had to leave the hotel at 2am to catch our flight and the night rates are quite steep (we had to pay around USD 82 compared to USD 33 from airport to hotel) - so I would recommend that you pre-book your airport transfers as part of a package, if possible.

Room Tip: Opt for the deluxe room at the slightly higher price - you won't regret it!
2  Thank Ruwani E
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We stayed in Double Deluxe room which had 2 double beds. This is a perfect place if you want to do shopping lots of shopping centers, restaurents within walking distance. My 2 boys (8yr & 5yr) didn't enjoy much in shopping but they enjoyed the indoor activity center. Time Square which is about 10-15 min walking from Park Royal, which is a shopping center as well as indoor Theme Park. Ticket is about AUD $12-$15 per person for unlimited rides. The rides are safe and there are lot of rides for all age groups.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Lovely location for shopping trips. Walking distance to Pavilion and other Malls. Good food and friendly service. My first stay earlier I stayed in the vicinity however found this hotel's location to be great to move around.

Room Tip: Higher floors and rooms close to the elevators recommended.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We stayed here for one night going out to Bali and one night coming back to the UK. The location is really great for the city centre shopping, street food, restaurants and you can walk to the Petronas Towers in about 20 mins through a labyrinth of shopping malls and walkways which was fun. It is a modern characterless building but clean and functional, the rooms were a good size, and the food was average to good, staff very helpful and friendly. My only major gripe was the noise levels even on the 13th & 14th floors, you can hear the traffic as though the windows were open (they weren't as I did double check) which was a bit odd bearing in mind the location. Overall though, I would stay here again as the location was great and service etc was very good.