“Most terrible hotel I have tried in south east Asia”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Orkid

Hotel Orkid
Ranked #233 of 340 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Penang
“Most terrible hotel I have tried in south east Asia”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I was very tired and I could not walk more otherwise I knew half a dozen better hotels with the same price nearby. Anyway since it was just for one night I stayed.

This is the most horrible budget hotel (i.e. for Rm80+) I have tried in South east Asia.

- room they gave me did not have TV!!!

- the basin water tap did not work and you needed to use the valve behind the basin to open/close the water.

- the room was smelly and there was absolutely nothing on the table. Not even a cup!!!

- Toilet was covered with stain

- there is a Ding-Dong-Dong alarm at the entrance door which ding-dong-dongs loudly four times whenever someone enters the place!! and I could hear it even when I was sleeping. I mean all day and night!

- the bed matress was broken. It was noisy and I had a very uncomfortable sleep and terrible back pain next morning.

The horrible place is not worth even 40 ringgits by Malaysian standards. Even if it was I would not stay there anymore.

Beware and run away!

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank macdermat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

I just get back from Kuala Lumpur this august 23 2012. i went there with my family.
i get this hotal name from this website and i see the room is clean in the picture and looks comfortable, so i decide to book as it near imbi station.
But when i get there the people there is very not friendly and not nice.
That's ok but when i get the room key and hope can get a rest after arrive from airport
i get inside the room and OH MY GOOD the room is very-very smelly, dirty, the air conditioner ever like in the year of 70..... very-very terrible.
This Orkid Hotel is the most horrible and scary hotel i ever lived in Malaysia.
The rooms is so dirty just like a place for garbage. Never ever lived in this hotel you will regret it.
I direct move to another hotel around there. And when i asked my money back the hotel manager is really the most unfriendly person i ever saw. They won't give me back my money even that i have not lived yet, not even 1 SEN.
TRUST ME NEVER EVER BOOK THIS HOTEL or YOU WILL REGRET IT...................

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank Jusui

Travellers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Mitcheldean, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

Simple, basic hotel, just a little out of the way requiring a bit of a walk -but can be done to Imbi.

Pavements need repairing and road works currently in operation near the hotel.

No free complimentary water in rooms. No kettle for making tea or coffee.

ONly one English TV channel.

Old style, needs a bit of an upgrade but suitable for a very short stay.

Room Tip: Pirce goes up on weekends so best choose weekday
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Vegetarian4ever
Perth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I had a booking for 4 nights, i checked in at (i was willing to put up with any ol' dump of a hotel thats close to timesquare mall) i walked in expecting the worst, the entrance is a steep stair well that seemed to go on forever, finally, uptop is a kitchen/reception.. i asked to pay for 4 night stay upfront but i didn't have enough, they seemed to be okay with me paying the next morning,... as soon as i entered the room, it was though i entered a tomb.

it was very dusty, and had a foul smell.. but what what really triggered my anguish was the fact that the internet doesnt stay connected in the hotel room and cuts out 10 mins at a time... never the less, i walked out of the hotel within 30 mins of being in the room and walked to another hotel and booked for 3 nights,, and returned to hotel orkid pudu, and told them that i'll be cutting my stay short, because circumstanced changed they charged me 160RM (including 50% for 'EARLY LEAVE', which is utter bull) I just wanted to get OUT OF THERE!!..

I checked in at 10pm, and checked out at 11am the next day, that's a 11 hour stay.. complete rip off..

i was very tired from my trip, and got woken at 7am by the sounds severe outside traffic.. also, spotted rats when i walked out side the hotel.. So thats, service, value, sleep quality, cleanness, location and rooms.. ALL terrible and down the drain..

this hotel shouldn't even be suggested on this site, I don't suggest Orkid Inn Timesquare either, i stayed there the other 3 nights, i really hope no one suffers like i suffered there from thieft and staff dishonesty (read my other review)

Room Tip: here's my tip, I URGE YOU to stay at any other hotel that is not part of the ORKID hotel branche...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank Razzak A
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

Run while you can, I agree with the few prior comments dirty bathroom, toilet not clean, carpets extremely dirt,y my bed was even short sheeted so the sheet didn't fit at all. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed. I was looking for budget but clean having just come from Vietnam paying $22 USD a night for spotlessly clean and friendly staff the management here need to send their staff for a view of what customer service really is, miss the breakfast completely. I unfortunately arrived in KL on very short notice so took the advise of airport staff selling accommodation,no time for TA to lead me away

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank SuzieQ230611
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

This hotels looks decent from the pictures on the web but the reality is very different. I stayed in two different rooms, both had a very strong smell of mould. The so called air conditioning is extremely inefficient. It takes hours to cool the room slightly and for it to work, you need to put the key (which is bulky and tacky by the way) in a slot inside the room. So if you're out all day, when you come back the room is like a sauna and only gets slightly cool by that time you wake up.

The bathroom is also very dirty. Water from the shower spills all over the floor and there is a drain pipe coming from the floor above that leads into the shower area.

Wifi is free as advertised but the connection is so slow (if you can connect at all) you'd think they're using a 56kpbs modem for the whole hotel.

Bedroom furniture is also very tacky and the bedding feels dirty. The windows have some coating on them that have partly flaked off.

The only good thing is the hotel is close to Berjaya Times Square.

Breakfast is included but you probably would hate to eat it; scrambled eggs, chilli noodles, toast and plastic/rubber sausages every morning. Coffee and tea in tiny cups and tastes like dishwater.

Also, as others have reported, the walls are very thin and you can hear people talk/have sex.

I would recommend avoIding this place like the plague!

Room Tip: Stay as far away from hotel orkid as you can!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank UK00001
Mashhad, Iran
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

One of Orkid hotel's staffs(Nurhuda Alegria)stole all of our money (about 1800$) from the hotel's safe box and we missed our next flights because of our lost passports and money !
they didn't give back our money and indeed they destroy our holidays, we called Police but they didn't do anything for us, we could just make a police report and that report is available in our web page and you can see,
please be careful and don't choose this unsafe hotel for your trip !!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business