“Fantastic Service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #73 of 340 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Brand new , delicious local coffee, Nasi Lemak (Coconut scented rice with Curry Chicken)..chic rooms. Roof top swimming pool offers great veiws of city skyline. Surrounding is a mixture of historical (British) colonial architectures with modern office buildings..also world's tallest flag pole...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank milnod
PRHSKL, The Management of Pacific Express Hotel at Pacific Express Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear milnod,
Greetings from Pacific Express Hotel! Thank you for staying with us and we truly appreciate your feedback. We are glad you had a wonderful experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again.
The Management of Pacific Express Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We booked this hotel for the lovely pool we saw in the picture. We had even filtered our search for only hotels with pools. I need to swim to rehabiltate an injury and we knew the KL afternoons would be hot. On our first morning, just as we were waking up, we heard a doorbell, and before we had a chance to work out what it could be a maintenance man burst into our room. he backed out in shock. Shortly after, I received a phone call from someone, quire rudely demanding to know who I was, what room I was in, and when I had arrived. I was quite confused thinking "but you are the HOTEL, ringing me".

Afternoon 1 we came back in from the heat and dressed for a swim. Signs in the foyer and lift said the pool and gym were on floor 9. We got out of the (very hot) lift to find a darkened corridor littered with building materials. Risking our own safety (I recently had two broken ankles), we picked our way through to get to the "pool". After walking up some filthy steps we found a construction site. Confused we went down to ask where the pool actually was. We were told it was "under construction". We were pretty angry but there were no apologies, with the manager spending the next 15 minutes of so trying to find where there was a disclaimer on the website saying this. We assumed we had made an error and went back up to check the site we booked through and the hotel site. We could find no disclaimer, only descriptions of the beautiful rooftop pool, ticks against pool in the facilities sections, and pictures of a lovely pool! Later the manager triumphantly waved a printed copy of the website showing on about page 4, a TINY sentence saying the pool was under construction. I asked how they were going to compensate us and she said she would let us know by 12pm on the next day. SHE WASN'T THERE THE NEXT DAY! and would have known this. She acted very confused as if she couldn't understand our concern, and as if no-one had ever mentioned if before. I now see from many other reviews that many people have!!

The rooms were poorly cleaned. The bathroom products weren't topped up, including toilet paper. My partner was ill and we ran out. We tried to call reception and the phone wasn't connected to reception! We went to reception and had to wait for the housekeeper to come, and she asked what we wanted (grrrr), so she then went away AGAIN to return sometime later with one roll of toilet paper. She seemed very confused that we might want this. Overall the staff seem very poorly trained. When we were checking out and complaining again to a whole new set of people I said this to a pleasant young man, and he agreed.

The breakfast was most disappointing too - worst we had in Malaysia by far. There was a small fast food restaurant to go to. There was a choice of three "sets". The first morning I found that both the tea and coffee were undrinkable. The second day I asked for Milo instead. I wasn't allowed to have that! My partner was ill and asked only to have black tea. He was told that wasn't possible - you must choose a set (that came with chilli flavoured food). We couldn't convince them that they were saving money! Eventually the tea came - with a BILL! (despite our voucher). We refused to pay and solved the problem by ordering a set and then telling the staff they could eat it. What a joke. Do you laugh or cry?
WE WILL NEVER GO HERE AGAIN.

Room Tip: Rooms are tiny. I would not choose one in this hotel at all actually.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Linda N
PRHSKL, The Management of Pacific Express Hotel at Pacific Express Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Linda N,
We regret to hear about your experience at Pacific Express Hotel recently. It will be very helpful if you could send us your name, date of stay and email in order to us to investigate this matter.
rasyikin.rosli@pacific-express.com.my
marcom@pacific-regency.com

Travellers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Western Cape, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

My brother and I stayed here 3 weeks ago and had our worst hotel experience yet.

Check-in was smooth and the receptionist was friendly but there many many negative points.

1) The first thing we noticed was that there was no central air-conditioning throughout the hotel. The lifts and corridors on our floor were hot and stuffy so it was no surprise when we entered our room and it was extremely humid and unpleasant.

2) Room dirty on arrival - dirt on carpet and construction stains in shower

3) MOSQUITOES!!! EVERYWHERE!
My brother and I got bitten overnight and we killed 3 in our room in one evening! There were so many just outside our room door as well as in the lifts and the foyer of the hotel. Surely this is unacceptable, uninviting and gives a feeling of poor hygiene.

4) Very DISAPPOINTING BREAKFAST!
They didn't clearly say on their website that there is no continental breakfast/ only Uncle Lim's restaurant which has only 3 options for breakfast! 2 of which are asian dishes and only one Western option - which we experienced as raw potato and cold beans on the first day. We were going to stay for 2 weeks. Were we supposed to have the same breakfast everyday? We were looking forward to buffet so we felt very limited.

When we discussed this with management and also told them that in our second week of staying there it will be Ramadaan and we need to have breakfast early they said we can go buy our own meal somewhere else early in the morning and they are not going to refund us for the breakfasts we'll be missing!

5) Pool and gym still under construction! Even though we phoned before we booked and they said it's operational! Also,in the lobby of the hotel there's a sign that says gym and pool on 9th floor. If it's not operational those signs shouldn't be up! Also it shouldn't be advertised on these booking websites.
We discussed this issue with management as well and they said we can use the facilities at Pacific Regency Hotel but we must get there at our own expense. Of what use is that! We paid to have access to certain facilities on site. If they're not available as promised then why must WE pay extra for their inconveniences.

6) The cleaning staff didn't do a good job at all. It was as though they only replaced our complimentary water and pulled our beds straight. The carpet was still dirty from the previous day when we checked in, toilet paper wasn't replaced and there was hair in my bed!
One night we shifted one of the bed because the aircon was blowing directly on it (the aircon wasn't user friendly and there was no manual for it in the room). We found a broom handle and other dirt under the bed!

7) We received dirty towels the second night which looked blood-stained and also had many black marks. We phoned for new towels and the manager brought it himself. We showed him the marks and he took the towels away. When he left we realised he brought us bath mats not towels so we had to phone again. This time they sent the SECURITY GUARD to bring it to us!!!

I found that very insulting. It was as though they were tired of our complaints. Yet it was not our fault that we HAD things to complain about. The standard of the hotel was lacking. But to send the security guard who is busy watching the front of the hotel to do the work of housekeeping/the manager was very insulting. Did he not have the courage to face us again? That was very unprofessional.

8) Staff very rigid, no initiative - not trained well enough?
During our stay my brother got sick - he had a severe sore throat among other things. We're both medics and come from a medical family and we know that gargling with salt water will help tremendously (even if you're not a medic I'm sure you know that). That night we phoned down to ask if we could get salt, they said the restaurant was closed. I found it strange because I thought even if the restaurant is closed i.e not serving people, surely they can just go to the kitchen and get some salt??

I went down myself to ask at reception and found the manager at the desk. Because the restaurant opens into the reception I could see the lights were off but it was still possible to walk in. I walked in with the manager and asked can't he just get a little salt for me, but he looked at me helplessly as though he didn't know if he was allowed to get anything from behind the counter or not.
He's the manager. He should know what can/can't be done. He could have made a phone call to ask if he really wasn't sure because it's his duty to make sure his guests are happy and comfortable, and my brother clearly was not.

I then asked him isn't there a dining place nearby where I can get salt? He said he doesn't know. What manager doesn't know his hotel's surroundings?
I spotted a place down the road where the lights were still on and I asked if that was an eating place. He said yes and I headed down alone in the dark only to find that it was a nook with 4 guys drinking beer and 1 guy smoking! They all looked at me when I arrived and I felt so vulnerable being a single female out there alone in the dark, I ran back immediately!
And when I returned to the hotel the manager wasn't even worried about whether I was successful in my salt hunting attempts or my safety for that matter. In fact, when I wasn't looking he told someone to close the restaurant doors fully, almost like I can't ask to go back there. I was really insulted and very upset that night.

Poor poor service and lack of help.

9) Generally there was a lot of construction still happening in the hotel. It was very dirty, some places weren't finish so it still had a cement look, there were dirty carpets outside the lift, etc.

10) The wifi was free but very, very poor reception. My brother and I would be moving around with our phones to different parts of the room to try and get the best reception. Often we'd have it for a few minutes then it disappears again. My brother eventually resorted to using his own mobile data because it was much faster and had continuous coverage.

11) Our room was also deceivingly small. We ordered a superior room which sounded all grand and spacious and also looked the part in the website photos, but it was really cramped. We realised how they must have taken the photo, at such an angle that it seemed big and also they must have touched up the photo by adding extra light, because the room as well as the corridors are quite dark even with the lights on.
With all the above mentioned problems we encountered we asked if they at least didn't have a bigger room for us seeing we're staying 2 WEEKS. The manager said that's the biggest room they have and I thought what?! And then I went to check online and I saw they DO have bigger rooms!
Were they just taking advantage of us because we were young?

12) On a more "minor" note, the fridge(minibar) was not cold enough to store things - when we enquired about this, management told us it's a "minimal cooling" minibar. They didn't advertise it as this on their website.

Also, the towels provided weren't very effective. They didn't dry us properly and they also left fluff all over our bodies.

Due to all of the above we decided to cancel our booking and checkout on the 3rd morning.
We paid for everything before arrival which complicated things a bit. The manager said they will refund us but penalise us for one night. After THEIR lack of standards they want to penalise US?? My father challenged this and we now recently heard that they agreed to refund us in full.

I knew that this was a new hotel and expected some mishaps here and there, but not to this degree. In our opinion such a hotel cannot be opened to the public yet!!

Even though the doorman and receptionists were friendly and always smiling, we will not be returning to the Pacific Express and will definitely not be recommending this hotel to others.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MissTD2014
Dear MissTD2014,

We would like to thank you for spending your time to inform us that our service did not meet your expectations. It will be very helpful if you send us your name, date of stay and email in order to us to investigate and do our best to keep you updated on our findings.
rasyikin.rosli@pacific-express.com.my
marcom@pacific-regency.com
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Positive points: great location close to LRT and S.Indian veg restaurants, clean rooms, very courteous staff. Negative points: bathroom walls are of translucent glass with no latches, housekeeping had to be reminded

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Kpsomu
PRHSKL, The Management of Pacific Express Hotel at Pacific Express Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Kpsomu,
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with Pacific Express Hotel. Noted on your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again to Pacific Express Hotel.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is a brand new hotel (the pool and some floors are still being completed) slap bang in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. It could not be more convenient for walking to the Chinese quarter, the botanical gardens, Merdeka square and museums. It is in the central market area with great shopping and food on the doorstep
There is a free bus service to the major shopping areas and tourist sites which stops just down the road from the hotel. This will take you to the twin towers, bukit bintang etc. You are also right on the metro (LRT) route (Masjid Jamek stop) enabling access to places outside the city such as Batu caves.
The rooms are modern and clean and the staff cannot do enough for you. The operation manager Mr Rosli went out of his way to ensure that my stay (single traveller staying for just over 2 weeks) was as pleasant and smooth as possible. Mr Rosli and his team are to be commended.
Despite the fact that building work was still being carried out, I was not disturbed at any time.
An attached snack/coffee bar MrLims was completed and opened during my stay offering tasty snacks, meals and coffee.
Although the pool was not open I was able to access the sister hotels pool a short free bus ride (or leisurely 20 minute walk away. The Pacific Express hotel is great for business or pleasure.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank janeyuk2014
Dear janeyuk2014,
Thank you for the pleasant comments of our hotel. We are glad you had a good stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Pacific Express Hotel! We will definitely share your good words with the team and till then, we wish you a pleasant day ahead!
Stockholm
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

New big hotel with a great location in kuala lumpur! Very close to China Town and Central Market. We used the subway to go around the city wich was flexible. Since the hotel was not entirely "Done" there was some problem with the elevator and also there was NO wifi (wich it said it would be) and that was a big problem for us. We asked if we could use a computer in the reception to book a flight but they couldnt help us... No breakfast either. Rooms ok, nice shower! Overall it was ok for a 2 nights stay!

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank Linnadolf
Dear Linnadolf,
Greetings from Pacific Express Hotel! Thank you for staying with us and we truly appreciate your feedback. We sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future so that we can provide you with a more pleasant experience.
Shenyang, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Smack right in the heart of Kuala Lumpur - Chinatown, Merdeka Independent square (world's tallest flag pole), Heritage row only 5 min walk!Plentiful of shopping, food you name it. Strongly recommended

Room Tip: windowless rooms are the best - must try
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business