“cool and cheap”

Tune Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #78 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 11 May 2009

this hotel was a very nice surprice! The value for money is uneatable. It is clean, has very comfortable beds and a funky design! I will definitely stay there again on my next trip to KL.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,556)

Reviewed 10 May 2009

Well, i was a little sceptical in the beginning as always, mainly because of the low cost of the tariff. My experience started with their website, it was user friendly, well designed and functional (as i'm a web developer myself).

I somehow had a feeling that this hotel wouldn't disappoint me, at the same time, i didn't want to have high expectations.

I found this Tune Hotel more than adequate for the price, infact better than many average 2 star hotels. They had funky advertisements in their hallways of McDonalds, etc.. but this wasn't annoying at all. The room we booked was a double bed room, it was clean and modern. (not one of those hotel running without maintenance since the 1980's which many 2 star and 3 stars are).

The room was small but it was not really a big factor for us as we were out all the time, just came for sleeping in the comfortable bed. I understand their business logics, to utilise the space for more rooms, which allows them to run it as a low cost hotel. Although, it can be difficult moving around the room with 2 or more suitcases.

We did not have any amenities (airconditiner, soap, shampoo, coffee machine, breakfast, etc) but i was not expecting it anyway. It is possible to have them with extra charges which i thought was fine.

We had breakfast in the ground floor of the hotel, there is two private food chains (Subway and another company), i recommend going for the SPECIAL FRENCH EGG TOAST which comes along with KAYA (a coconut based jam).

Overall experience in the hotel was good, i will definitely recommend this to people looking for budget accomodation in the city. This place is not one of those places with dirty backpackers, it is a very clean modern environment but it is low cost. Unbelievable.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank vinothe
Reviewed 6 May 2009

Very centrally located. Within walking distance of the Petronas Towers, good shopping, and good nightlife. As advertised, a very comfortable bed with a good shower.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2009

Ok I really feel compelled to add a review. I have stayed in countless hotels over the years from basic backpackers accomodations to 6 star hotels with varying experiences but never have I been so upset by the experience.

I planned to stay in Tune Hotel by KL airport since my flight arrived late at night and I was in transit and getting on another flight first thing in the morning. TUNE looked new and clean and I figured for 120 ringgit it was worth the 5, 6 hours of sleep - mind you, not heap for Malaysian standards. When I went to the hotel they were fully booked. Since I had shoddy internet when I made the booking, my booking did not go through

That's where all the problems started. The staff was helpful and offered nearby hotels. The room was MYR150 including picking up from Tune and dropping off at the airport the next morning. I took that option BUT oh boy should I have just stayed up for 5 hours sitting in the airport instead!

The hotel Tune staff called for me was in a dodgy shabby town. Apparently there are no other airport hotels around. It was a 25 minute drive from the airport. The guy was nice and friendly, so I'm not gonna name the name of the "hotel". The place had flashing red neon sign, locked metal gate on the 2nd floor. The room reeked of some cheap room spray too potent for me so I asked to change a room. The other room had stained sheets, leaky bathroom, a pubic hair clearly on the bed sheet. I was so fed up by then I just gave up. For 150 ringgit, are you joking me???? You can rent that sort of place for a month in that sort of dodgy area. And I know that b/c I just stayed in KL for a week with family a week before this transit stop and I wanted to stay at TUNE overnight to save the 2-hour roundtrip drive to my family's house, and get more sleep instead. People's monthly wage for normal workers in KL restaurants are around 1,000 ringgit and they charge 150??? Apparently if I called direct, it would've been 120 ringgit.

I was told that's because they have to pay TUNE hotel staff a commission. So the TUNE hotel staff gets commission of 30 ringgit for referring customers?!!? Now, I don't mind if TUNE staff gets commission, but 30 ringgit of commission when they don't know where they are recommending people to is outragoues! And this place I went to is nothing like TUNE! In the US, for 150 ringgit you'd get nicer motels for that!

This is simply ridiculous and unacceptable practice. I hope the management is aware and at least put together an acceptable list of nearby hotels to recommend people to. I think the management should really investigate this issue.

I'm under the impression that TUNE Hotels is under Air Asia. For such a great company I am honestly shocked. Please please rein in your employees and take appropriate discplinary actions!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank HappySwan
Reviewed 4 April 2009

it should rank 138/138 out of all hotels in KL. aircon is an option item charged by the hour but KL is place you can not live without aircon. the bathroom has nothing, not even soap. everything you can think of are add-on items that comes at extra $$. the room walls are decorated by advertisments. i did not even bothered to take picture of this hotel, it would be a waste of my camera battery!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2009

It's cheap, no frills unless you add them on, and then not many. Obviously well-used already and some replacement parts needed in shower/toilet and building fixtures. Reasonably clean, 7/11 and Subway in lobby are handy but felt a bit awkward asking for hot water from them (no kettles in room or hot water dispenser provided by hotel), though both obliged. Comfy bed but no headboard. Very limited space, just about adequate but poorly designed layout doesn't maximise what there is to play with. My main gripe with this place was the noise. I was unfortunate to land on the first floor corner with traffic noise that didn't really become noticeable until later in the evening (and it didn't let up until really late and then started up again early). Also, every time the lift stopped it sounded like a submarine ping echoing around the room. Stayed 2 nights and that was enough. Luggage stored after checkout for RM1 per piece was good value and arranged taxi to LCCT for RM75 was reasonable.
It's not that bad but not as good as the website hype would have you think. For the money you pay you can't really complain too much. It's like having a private room for the price of a small dorm, with housekeeping thrown in as a bonus. For a short stay it's ok but I wouldn't go back unless I could get a quieter room.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Qupnicely
Reviewed 9 February 2009

Very Cheap hotel, good service, clean rooms. Big and clean bathroom. No TV in the room, and you pay an extra fee for the aircon, towels and soap (but it's still very, very cheap!). Very close to 2 overground stations (only 2 minutes walk), you get to KL sentral and to the TWIN TOWERS in minutes. A little noisy but definetly good.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family