“Where not to stay in KL Low Cost Terminal” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tune Hotel - Downtown Kuala Lumpur

Tune Hotel - Downtown Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #77 of 341 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Melbourne Australia
“Where not to stay in KL Low Cost Terminal”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2009

Where does 1 start.? The front entrance outside - Has 6 tables and chairs and at all times of day they are just covered with rubbish and never cleaned. On a windy day, rubbish litters all around the main entrance. Gives the place a real welcome - NOT. The Room - Probably only adequate for the single travellor. Very small and not really enough room for a medium to large suitcase. If you are a couple with 2 suitcases, its a no go. Simply NO room for that. The Bed - In fairness to this Hotel I have to say my bed was comfortable, with clean linen. No problems here. The En-Suite - Small, but adequate. Basin, Toilet and Shower. However, what has really turned me off was the fact that the glass shower screen was putrid. Dried soap grime all over it. Please see Foto's. I seriously doubt that the shower has been cleaned since this hotel opened. It was disgracefull. Not fit for a Pig. The mirror in the Bathroom had Dental Floss Flick all over it. Not cleaned from before the previous person left the room. The Curtains had to be held together with Tape. Lucky i had some, otherwise everyone walking by could have just peered in. Now for the add ons - If you had to go to the Toilet more than once I was in trouble. There was only enough Toilet paper for 1 go. Shouldn't have to go running around asking for these sort of things. Advertising - They advertise on their Shuttle Bus that you can book a room for only 9.99 MR. I was talking to a Guy last night who walked in off the street and he was quoted MR130. He sought accomodation elsewhere. False advertising. I also spoke with 2 Lady's who where going back downstairs to complain about the noise from the highway out on their side of the building. They were given the Security Key for another room in a quieter side of the building. Upon access to the newer room with their New Security Key, when opening the door, there was already a couple occupying that room having a lovely time on the bed together. Security = NONE. Privacy = NON EXISTANT. These 2 lady's checked out immediately. Who could blame them. Summary - I would strongly urge anyone considering staying here to research this area thoroughly. There are other Hotels that could serve you better.

1 Thank LeRoytheBoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2009

I came here a year ago, with little expectation since it was very cheap. But I was very impressed how tourist-friendly this hotel was. If you're looking for a very affordable base to explore KL and a simple, secure, clean room to come back to, this is great.

My partner insisted on staying at this hotel again even though we did not get a great deal this time. But we still thought it was great for the value.

Only the location was a bit far from everything else. But if you can figure the public transport systems, it would be a piece of cake. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

this hotel was a very nice surprice! The value for money is uneatable. It is clean, has very comfortable beds and a funky design! I will definitely stay there again on my next trip to KL.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Pondicherry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2009

Well, i was a little sceptical in the beginning as always, mainly because of the low cost of the tariff. My experience started with their website, it was user friendly, well designed and functional (as i'm a web developer myself).

I somehow had a feeling that this hotel wouldn't disappoint me, at the same time, i didn't want to have high expectations.

I found this Tune Hotel more than adequate for the price, infact better than many average 2 star hotels. They had funky advertisements in their hallways of McDonalds, etc.. but this wasn't annoying at all. The room we booked was a double bed room, it was clean and modern. (not one of those hotel running without maintenance since the 1980's which many 2 star and 3 stars are).

The room was small but it was not really a big factor for us as we were out all the time, just came for sleeping in the comfortable bed. I understand their business logics, to utilise the space for more rooms, which allows them to run it as a low cost hotel. Although, it can be difficult moving around the room with 2 or more suitcases.

We did not have any amenities (airconditiner, soap, shampoo, coffee machine, breakfast, etc) but i was not expecting it anyway. It is possible to have them with extra charges which i thought was fine.

We had breakfast in the ground floor of the hotel, there is two private food chains (Subway and another company), i recommend going for the SPECIAL FRENCH EGG TOAST which comes along with KAYA (a coconut based jam).

Overall experience in the hotel was good, i will definitely recommend this to people looking for budget accomodation in the city. This place is not one of those places with dirty backpackers, it is a very clean modern environment but it is low cost. Unbelievable.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank vinothe
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2009

Very centrally located. Within walking distance of the Petronas Towers, good shopping, and good nightlife. As advertised, a very comfortable bed with a good shower.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2009

Ok I really feel compelled to add a review. I have stayed in countless hotels over the years from basic backpackers accomodations to 6 star hotels with varying experiences but never have I been so upset by the experience.

I planned to stay in Tune Hotel by KL airport since my flight arrived late at night and I was in transit and getting on another flight first thing in the morning. TUNE looked new and clean and I figured for 120 ringgit it was worth the 5, 6 hours of sleep - mind you, not heap for Malaysian standards. When I went to the hotel they were fully booked. Since I had shoddy internet when I made the booking, my booking did not go through

That's where all the problems started. The staff was helpful and offered nearby hotels. The room was MYR150 including picking up from Tune and dropping off at the airport the next morning. I took that option BUT oh boy should I have just stayed up for 5 hours sitting in the airport instead!

The hotel Tune staff called for me was in a dodgy shabby town. Apparently there are no other airport hotels around. It was a 25 minute drive from the airport. The guy was nice and friendly, so I'm not gonna name the name of the "hotel". The place had flashing red neon sign, locked metal gate on the 2nd floor. The room reeked of some cheap room spray too potent for me so I asked to change a room. The other room had stained sheets, leaky bathroom, a pubic hair clearly on the bed sheet. I was so fed up by then I just gave up. For 150 ringgit, are you joking me???? You can rent that sort of place for a month in that sort of dodgy area. And I know that b/c I just stayed in KL for a week with family a week before this transit stop and I wanted to stay at TUNE overnight to save the 2-hour roundtrip drive to my family's house, and get more sleep instead. People's monthly wage for normal workers in KL restaurants are around 1,000 ringgit and they charge 150??? Apparently if I called direct, it would've been 120 ringgit.

I was told that's because they have to pay TUNE hotel staff a commission. So the TUNE hotel staff gets commission of 30 ringgit for referring customers?!!? Now, I don't mind if TUNE staff gets commission, but 30 ringgit of commission when they don't know where they are recommending people to is outragoues! And this place I went to is nothing like TUNE! In the US, for 150 ringgit you'd get nicer motels for that!

This is simply ridiculous and unacceptable practice. I hope the management is aware and at least put together an acceptable list of nearby hotels to recommend people to. I think the management should really investigate this issue.

I'm under the impression that TUNE Hotels is under Air Asia. For such a great company I am honestly shocked. Please please rein in your employees and take appropriate discplinary actions!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank HappySwan

Travellers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Hurstville, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2009

it should rank 138/138 out of all hotels in KL. aircon is an option item charged by the hour but KL is place you can not live without aircon. the bathroom has nothing, not even soap. everything you can think of are add-on items that comes at extra $$. the room walls are decorated by advertisments. i did not even bothered to take picture of this hotel, it would be a waste of my camera battery!!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends