“Good location, friendly staff”
Review of Serai Inn

Serai Inn
Hong Kong, China
“Good location, friendly staff”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I spent two weeks in serai inn with my friendly last year. The location was convenient. It took a 3min walk to nearest mrt and bus station. The staff were friendly and willing to share travelling tips in KL and some neighbouring cities. They were able to communicate in English and some Chinese dialects. The accommodation was not bad. However, the wifi coverage was bad. My room couldn't receive any wifi signal so I could only access internet beside reception desk.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2014

i am staying here as a long stay guest for past 3 months..... people who are searching for budget hotel in kl area than this hotel is best for them...from nearby this hotel you can get LRT station and KL free bus also...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank gsuvash
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed here for a week to attend a conference nearby. I am a post-graduate and it was my first visit to Malaysia. I read about many good reviews about the owner and I am glad I have chosen this place. The people here can speak very good Chinese and I have no problem communicating with them, though I can also speak English too. The place is very clean. Wati cooked me breakfast everyday, scrambled egg fresh from the pan every morning, Yummy! Overall I have a pleasant stay. :-)

Room Tip: If you like quiet place better don't choose a room with window because they are facing the main...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We enjoyed our stay here, mainly beause of the nice Chinese people running the place, the clean shared showers with hot water and the proximity to the LRT and Myanmar visa agency (which was the reason for spending 2 nights in KL). Also the price was good.

A few things to be aware of: If you want a towel, you pay a few Ringit, wifi is mainly accessible at reception and breakfast is what you get in most places in Malaysia (eggs, toast, jam, butter), with some fruit this time. The thin walls can make it noisy if you have neighbours

Rooms are basically 2 rows of parallel thin walls in a big space, so lots of them will have no window. Ask for a twin room (instead of a double), I believe all these have windows

Room Tip: Rooms are basically 2 rows of parallel thin walls in a big space, so lots of them will have no windo...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarkManama
Algiers, Algeria
Reviewed 4 January 2014

L&G,

I am really disappointed reading about some people claming that Serrai Inn is not a good hotel. I am a respectable Algerian citizen who spent more than 31 days in this hotel, where I found it very good, helpful personnel and very kind manager Mr. Koe Kok Hau, a very intelectual chinese man. I spoke with Koe about the incident of the below claim, and I understood that it was the misunderstanding about rooms price. Any one in the world tell the below claimer about hotel's prices in KL, i think as a an experienced triper that it is a best price for a room with an AC and a shower.

Dear Mr Australian, this time you made a big mistake when charging people that they re not helpful! I found it so in my first days, but after, I am convinced that they re a poor hard working people whom hae just help to provide!

So, it is a trade mark, and it is the business of others, becareful of being charged of a defamation crime, that may touch the hotel

I am sure that you made this judgement under some misunderstanding circumstances, so please if you re a gentleman, come back to your previous judgment; and be friend with Koe, as he is a good person.

Good luck to you, and welcome to Algeria, I will brought you to my house, for free no many to take from you.

Mr. Wail Lamouri.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Kununurra, Australia
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here after a mix up with our booking through booking.com and so we didn't lose any money decided to stay a couple of days.

The rooms were very small and dirty, the free wifi only worked on one floor and the management were less than helpful.

It was very expensive for what it was, there are far better hostels in better locations for a third of the price.

Don't bother with this place. The 'free' breakfast was also very poor and the showers laughable!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Lemongrass168, Owner at Serai Inn, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Mike made a mistake thinking that the rental for an A/C double room was RM76 for three nights (ie. RM25.30 per night) when he made a booking via a well established booking website. Actually, the rental was RM76 per night. We explained to him there was no way to rent an A/C double room in downtown Kuala Lumpur for RM25.30 per night. However, he was still upset throughout his stay in Serai Inn. We even recommended him a guest house that offers very basic dorm for as low as RM12 per person per night.

As mentioned in my response to an earlier review, our free breakfast consists of scrambled egg, toast, fruit, baked beans, coffee or tea and our cook prepares it on the spot (except for Saturday when our cook is off). So, We leave it to the readers to judge whether such breakfast is laughable for the price he has paid. With regards to his comment on the cleanliness, we would like to clarify that we are always considered a clean guest house. Please refer to the comment of the other customers in the well established booking websites to get a fair picture.

Travellers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Thailand
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Dreadful money grabbing and unpleasant owner. Rooms are minute shoe boxes without windows and everything costs extra from towels to breakfast. Yes, they 'say' breakfast is included but this is a lie. You have to pay for everything apart from a slice of bread. This typifies the whole place. When I wanted to change my booking from 2 nights to 1 as I needed to see a friend in Malaysia the owner refused a refund on the second night, despite more than 24 hours notice. He then tried to retain my key deposit.
Also, watch him: he tries to force you to check out early by all sorts of nasty tactics e.g. he will ask when you are leaving and then he only operates reception until 10.30: therefore forcing you out unless you are prepared to lose your 20RM deposit.
Finally if there was a fire god only knows how everyone would get out the building: I suspect they simply wouldn't.

Money grabbing and nasty: avoid.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Lemongrass168, Owner at Serai Inn, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Richard Hoskins booked for two nights and made the full payment upon arrival. Then, he changed his mind at 8pm to cancel his stay for the second night. He has obviously given us less than 24 hours' notice. We even offered him to change his date of stay to anywhere before 31 Dec 2013 but he refused to take up our offer.

Our breakfast comprise of egg, toast, fruit, coffee and tea and it is absolutely free. Towel can be rented for a nominal amount of RM2.00 per towel. Since our counter is close from 10.30pm to 7.30am, we always remind our customers to get back their deposit of RM20 before 10.30pm. We never force any guest to check out earlier. In fact, we always refund them if they want to check out before 7.30am and we always trust that they would not take away the access cards.