All reviews hotel supervisor room was spacious male city bathroom door island resort transit hotel great place to stay welcome drink clean hotel ferry terminal breakfast was included free airport transfer basic amenities sea plane long flight late check overnight stay
Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

This was the first disappointment we got when arriving in Male. The hotel is rated as 4 star, in reality in Europe would be not more than 2 stars hotel. In my friends room the bed linen was not changed from the previous guest and was very dirty, in our room we didn't have hot water and most of the lights was not working. Breakfast was terrible. We had to stay 6 nights there and after we saw the hotel and where is situated we moved on the 2nd day. My husband forgot his favorite snickers in the hotel room and when we called they said they didn't find anything, and we know exactly where we left it ... Staff extremely friendly, like they were trying to cover with a smile all the other negative things in the hotel and the city. The hotel had to be one of the best in Male, and after we had a walk around Male I believe it is, just probably in Europe we understand the standards different way. I saw a picture of the hotel in one magazine, what I was stunned about is the way the street in front of the hotel looks like in the magazine and what actually was, I will put the photos here so you get a small idea what's the difference.
In general, in case you are traveling to Maldives DO NOT stay in Male, go directly to some island or better go to a resort!

Stayed: January 2017
1  Thank ivi_bg
BEEHIVE_Hotel_Mgt, Sales & Marketing at The Beehive, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2017

Dear ivi_bg,

First of all, we sincerely thank you for giving us a detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at THE BEEHIVE HOTEL.

It is unfortunate though that your experience at our hotel was not up to your expectations and we sincerely apologize for our shortfalls which caused all your disappointments and negative feedback about your stay.

The surrounding area in the capital Male' is indeed totally different as compared with island resorts. THE BEEHIVE HOTEL is situated in the prime location of the capital city, Male' and as most city hotels are, you know what to expect around the busy areas of the city. But on the positive side, our hotel is only a few minutes away from the main road where majority of the shops, restaurants and tourist spots are located. However, if you prefer a more serene environment, it is advised that you go directly to the resort as it is away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

We truly regret that our Housekeeping team was not able to check thoroughly the bed linens; it was newly washed however badly stained and yes, should not be placed for guest use unless thoroughly cleaned. Again, my sincere apologies that we have overlooked on checking the bed linens during the room inspection. Unfortunately, we also did not find any snickers in your room after your check out but will contact you for sure if there would be any update from our 'lost and found' section.

We serve a great variety of breakfast items daily and we normally receive very positive feedback from our guests for the wide array of dishes for our breakfast buffet however, we regret to hear that the food served was not up to your liking.

We, The Beehive team, pride ourselves for the quality of service that we render to our guests and our readers and followers can see that in the very positive guest reviews on TripAdvisor showing utmost satisfaction with their stay at THE BEEHIVE. Our warm and friendly staffs make sure that we render a genuine service from the heart to make our guests feel at home at all times during their stay. However, we sincerely apologize for the shortfalls from our side during your stay and again, we thank you for your feedback as we can use these as our standpoint for our improvement.

Best regards,

Logie
Sales & Marketing Exec.

Reviewed 5 January 2017

I want to preface the following by saying I'm a very picky traveler, with very high standards. Not only that, I'm a seasoned traveler; I've been traveled all over the world, stayed at hundreds of hotels, resorts and guest houses, been on multiple luxury cruises, etc. While I've had many great experiences, I've never felt it necessary to share my experience by writing a review online. However, this hotel changed it all for me... Words cannot express how wonderful our stay was at The Beehive. From the moment I stepped out of the airport, to the moment we were dropped off at the end of our stay, the quality of service was phenomenal.

I recently traveled to Male to surprise my husband (who is working there) with an unexpected visit. This was my first visit to the Maldives (a life-long dream, actually), and I was feeling a little uncertain as I didn't know my way around or know anyone there. I had e-mailed and called the hotel ahead of time to ensure that their shuttle service would be available for me once I left the airport. Sure enough, the moment I stepped into the 'Arrivals' area of the airport, one of their staff members was there holding a sign with my name. I'm sure he had to wait for me for quite a while as my baggage was delayed, but nevertheless, he greeted me with a warm smile and a handshake. He immediately took my cart and escorted me to the jetty where he purchased a ticket for me for the ferry. He patiently answered all my questions. After assuring me that there would be another staff member in an orange shirt waiting to greet me on the other side, he ensured my luggage and I were safely aboard.

15 minutes later and I reached Male City. Sure enough, another orange-shirted gentleman greeted me on the other side. He collected all my luggage, loaded it into the hotel's own car, and drove me to the location. At the hotel, friendly staff members unloaded my luggage and warmly welcomed me to the hotel. Even the best 5-star hotels I've been to require you to approach the counter to complete the check-in process -not The Beehive! After seating me in a comfortable chair and giving me a fresh coconut welcome drink and cookies, they brought all the paperwork to me in the lobby's seating area. I had pre-paid for my stay and the check-in process was very smooth. Although check-in didn't officially start until the afternoon, they were kind enough to let me access my room very early (I probably got to the hotel around 7:30-8:00am)! Staff took my luggage up to my room. I had breakfast (which felt more like brunch!.... really, they had a ridiculous variety of scrumptious hot and cold dishes) at the hotel for $12 USD (because that morning was not included in my stay).

The staff were also very helpful in helping me orchestrate the surprise for my husband. One staff member actually walked me to the balloon store herself! This was extremely helpful because not a lot of shopkeepers in Male understand English. Without her, I might have not been able to express what I needed or been ripped off. She also patiently answered all my questions about Male City, dress codes, etc.

When the time came to surprise my husband at his workplace, staff arranged for a taxi to take me there as the hotel vehicle was not available at the time. When my husband came to the hotel later that evening, they also welcomed him warmly with a welcome drink and cookies. The room was clean and spacious. The following morning, after we woke up having missed breakfast, Julius, the hotel supervisor, arranged for an array of breakfast items to be brought up to our room (without additional charge!).

At check-out, the hotel provided their vehicle again, free of charge, to drop us at our next location. After our stay, I e-mailed Julius to ask where I could purchase the cookies we had been given with our welcome drink. I was surprised to learn that they were actually made in-house by their pastry chef! Once again, demonstrating excellent service and hospitality, they offered to make us a complimentary batch!

We were SO pleased with our stay at this hotel. Julius and all the staff (I wish I could have asked for their names), were so wonderful and helpful. They went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. While I'm sure there are 'fancier' hotels in Male, you can count on The Beehive for their excellent quality of service. From beginning to end, they took care of all our needs. I know EXACTLY where I'll stay the next time I visit the Maldives... THANK YOU Julius and all the staff of The Beehive for making our stay AMAZING!

Room Tip: No point booking a room with a balcony as Male City is quite crowded with buildings and all you will see is another building...
2  Thank PNDJTravels
Reviewed 1 January 2017

The hotel is exactly as stated in Tripadvisor. No unpleasant surprises. The hotel is very well situated with all the necessary facilities, its clean and well maintained. The staff are polite and friendly and provide useful advice. The best thing that we experienced was when a hotel staff actually search for us at the artificial beach just so that we did not be late for our submarine dive. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting Maldives.

Room Tip: rooms at the top floors will get better view
Reviewed 28 December 2016

We had good stay at the beehive, staff was waiting us at airport and made sure our trip to the hotel went smoothly. Location is OK, on the quieter side on Malè if you may say so. Room (501) was spacious and tidy. Breakfast was a tasty mix of local and western style. Julius the hotel supervisor made sure we had everything in order and his staff had very helpful attitude towards customers. Will stay here if i come back to Malè.

1  Thank henk1212
Reviewed 25 December 2016

As with most of my reviews, it's more about the food than the room for me. Julius, the hotel supervisor, was very helpful in settling us into our room. He wanted to upgrade our room to a bigger one, but we really wanted separate beds. He was very concerned that we'd find the room too small, but it was absolutely fine. It was comfy with modern decor. The lovely touches, like the coconut drink on arrival and the chocolates and note before bed, were well appreciated.

The restaurant on the main floor is tiny, but enjoyable. When trying to explain my celiac and other allergy needs to the server, I was greeted with a lack of understanding which made me refuse to eat there. If I can't explain my issues clearly, it's not safe to eat there. While we were leaving the hotel in search of other food options, Julius asked if he could talk to the chef for me and explain my needs. He was very calming and said that if he wasn't sure that my needs would be met, he wouldn't allow them to serve me. Low and behold, my needs were met and my vegetable curry was delicious and celiac-friendly. My travel companion had the fish and chips, which she found a bit dry. We both ended up getting curries and dal for the rest of our stay, which were very tasty. The food that I had was delicious and the service was well beyond what I would have expected. Julius even called the airport to try to find a lot baggage of ours.

The hotel is about 10-15 min walk from the fish and vegetable markets, which I think you must go see. It's also about 5-10 min walk from the tsunami monument, which is a lovely place to visit around sunset. Good location in the busy city of Male.

Julius really made our stay at the Beehive an outstanding one. Great service!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends