“Disappointed Businessman”
Review of Marble Hotel

Marble Hotel
Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Male
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I went to Male on a budget and when I checked the rates of the Marble Hotel online I thought that the hotel would be able to fit into my wallet. I got there alone and got a king sized bed because they said they had that so I requested for one. When I got to my room I was a bit disappointed that the room was poorly maintained. I didn’t like the stains that was hovering the mirror. I looked at the toilet and didn’t even want to glance at it again because it wasn’t something I was looking forward too. I was really disappointed with the bathroom amenities because it didn’t fit my level of comfort and standard. Their complimentary towels didn’t do a good job either. I wonder when they would finish the renovations and I wonder if they would also give priority in updating their rooms and Internet services.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 June 2013

The service at the marble cafe is really poor.. Took them forever to take the order even though only 2 people were at the whole cafe.we ordered for 2 machiato and 2 portions of meat balls.. After 20 mins when they served us they brought 1 machiato.(the waiter was surprised when we told we ordered for 2).after 30 mins of initial order they brought 2 portions of fried chicken wings instead of the meat balls..they accused us that we ordered for fried chicken wings. Since we were not happy with the service they agreed for a discount and when we got the bill there was no discount.(it was only the discount we would get anyways since we were staying at the hotelhotel which was 30%)

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Neo C
Reviewed 5 June 2013

i reached male and just wanted a 1 night stay, i found marble hotel, twin room with ac etc
sad to say nice people working there, hotel needs a lot of improvements, for male level
this hotel is ok, as star rating 3 or 4 star still very poor, we book halfboard and we paid $100
which i found very expensive, but i believe thats male for you, you pay so much for nothing.
anyone looking for just a stop basic no frills at all this is the hotel. i will give the owner some advise ( please refurbish this hotel as it needs a lot of looking after.

Room Tip: they gave us a sea view but we had a building blocking us, so we could nly see some of the sea
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2013

The marble hotel is a very basic business hotel. It has 8 floors, ground floor is reception and a conference hall, construction on floors 1 and 2, then the next 3 floors have business’, then 6,7,8 has hotel rooms and the top floor is a café (open to the public so expect comings and goings until about midnight).

I stayed for 2 weeks on business (there is no way you would stay in Male for any other reason). I tried to use reception to book a day trip on my day off but they were of little use.

If you have a room at the front you will get a nice view of the water but there is construction on either side and in front that is allowed to be done well into the night (10pm at least) so it can be noisy. Male has construction everywhere so this will probably be a problem in many of the cheaper hotels. (noise cancelling headphones are a god-send)

The pillows were fantastic! The bed is a king (two singles pushed together) and the sheets were clean. The TV has a couple of local channels and about 3 Indian cable channels (that they seem to swap but one was usually cnn and another played repeats of x-men, wolverine and lara croft), the TV often has a mail icon covering the picture.

The room has an interesting smell, I think due to the AC dripping water on the carpet. (plus side- room had AC that worked). there are a couple of little supermarkets nearby that sell room deodorizer.

The breakfast is buffet but unfortunately the containers are not kept in a bain marie or with heaters under the dishes that many of us have come to expect to meet the safe food handling standards. Fortunately you can ask for fruit and they will provide you with two types of fruit cut up. The level of English in the café is not as high as in most of male.

They advertise WIFI, it worked for about 6 hours out of the two weeks I was there and was very slow when working. (one day I asked every hour between 3pm and 9pm if it was going to be working and they said a technician was working on it but the last person said the technician was on the way from the hospital so I think I was being told porky pies). On the plus side as the hotel rooms are on high levels so if you have internet on your mobile you can get good reception.

I think they advertise a fitness center – there is also prices lists in your room but I think it was under construction when I was there http://www.marble.mv/mbhc.html .

The bathroom was uninspired and a little grotty, there wasn’t a shower screen so water goes everywhere (and the wood on the door surround has rotted away probably due to being wet). The towels vary, some old and thin, some smell on incense and then I got a winner of a soft one that smelt of fabric softener.

I ordered room service one night and decided after that not to make that mistake again.

Look at the travelers (not professional) pictures to get an idea about this place and don’t expect too much.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a nice view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Stayed there 3 different times
Rooms are very clean and tidy
Location is not very close to airport jetty but it is not a big deal in a small city like Male
Have wake up call service - on time
Free wi-fi
The only problem most of the time no hot water

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Male taxi's very funny, sometimes 20, sometimes 30, some times 40 (Rufiah) to any place from the Jetty....20 if you share...It's 30 But if you have a Bag may be 40..

I was checked in around 10pm - since reservation was in place no issue - smooth.

Room was OK until I opened the toilet, I was full - with aroma coming from the restaurant above, since the toilet window was open..although it said avoid smoking in the room - it seems that was never the case. Anyway closed the toilet door, tried to sleep since I had morning appointment, could not sleep because of the tables/chairs dragging noise right on top and additional music with cutlery flying.......I walked out of the room ..walked till 12,45 am, (12 Midnight the restaurant closes) and came back and slept...ask for a change of room, unfortunately (I think) I was informed that it's full.

Of course next day I demanded to change and they changed...

Apart from this, the staff's English knowledge very poor, even at the restaurant..Reception was OK.

The room I stayed was OK in size, those are the corner rooms which ends with 1 or 8. 1 is deluxe and 8 is double ?(I guess).

No Soap
Towels were Basic
Funny - No coffee but coffee mate and sugar available
Meals Terribly over priced and horrible...egg..I do not know how you could do that to an egg?..Pizza mmmm bread topped ?
Bed - pretty hard but good pillows
Run water a little while to get hot water....
Few channels only - 4 to be precise ( those what the staff like - they re-set it)
But A/C worked, Wifi worked (open the room door a bit to get faster? - it worked)
Same breakfast...bread/butter/jam/egg/sausages...or rotti and fish curry..

Water bottle available

Rooms are cleaned daily..

The main reason I continued is the location for my program, 1 minute walk, I really value this....so easy, else wait for a taxi would e like....
I was able to make some modification on the food since I knew the languages the staff spoke...

Any Male Hotels are same...they have business so not bothered....

Room Tip: Choose the rooms ends with 1 or 8..larger and better... Not of 8th floor please..avoid 7 if possibl...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ACMarcelline
Reviewed 19 August 2012

It is a Cheap and simple hotel if you are on a budget trip. I had breakfast included but that was not good, with just bread, butter, 1 fruit and some beans and fried sausages. The hotel staff is not friendly at all. They just check you in and check you out and when I wanted some information about the city or sightseeing options, they have just answered that they did not know how to help.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Male
The Beehive
#15 of 35 in Male
Airport Beach Hotel
Airport Beach Hotel
#4 of 11 in Hulhumale

Been to Marble Hotel? Share your experiences!