“We liked everything at Traders” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Jen Male

Hotel Jen Male
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Male
Samara, Russia
“We liked everything at Traders”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

I reading several reviews about Traders Hotel and I had the impression that people speak about different hotels, so different their valuations are. Personally my experience was positive, my family and I enjoed our stay there. Traders is a good business hotel with favourable position, fine service (starting from meeting at the airport)and very nice restaurant. The staff is very friendly, polite and helpful. Everything was fine, so I can recommend Traders to the tourists.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

Great location just a short boat-ride from the airport and then a short walk down a side street off the road running along the water.

The hotel is very modern and looks and feels fairly new – especially the bathroom (had a shower cubicle with a glass wall facing the bedroom). The rooms are fairly small, but generally clean, comfortable and bright (despite all the really dark furniture). My only complain would perhaps be the carpet under the bed, which wasn’t that inviting (the floors were otherwise white tile).

The hotel has two restaurants and a café on the ground floor – all with free wi-fi that works most of the time. The food is pretty good, (but pricey), and so is breakfast. The pool is on the roof-top (great view over the airport island!) next to one of the restaurants and the gym, which is very small, but with good aircon and new equipment. Staff were generally really nice, attentive and welcoming. Nothing to complain about there.

Recommended? Yes. Would I stay again? Certainly. Only downside is the lack of alcohol (not allowed in Male), which would be the only reason to consider the hotel next to the airport.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Halgrim
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

My first time ever theft happened in this hotel, an absolutely terrible experience! We stayed overnight in this hotel before travelling onwards to the resort the next day as part of the airlline's holiday package. After we checked out at noon, the conceirge who's also the driver insisted to help us with the luggages, especially my carry-on after he saw me putting the ipad back into the bag. I refused at the beginning for safety purpose and didn't want to crush my bag, but he insisted again. At the end I thought it's only a 2 min. drive to the pier so I just let him do it (thought he's just being helpful and friendly and also the car is provided by the hotel with no other passengers) Arrived at the pier shortly after. He told us to get off first because where the car stopped didn't have enough space to unload the bags, so we got off the car first and saw him spent about 2-3mins at the back of the car before transferring the bags to the boat crews. After we were on the boat on the way to the airport, at no time the carry-on was out of my sight. Few minutes later we arrived at the airport. At that time when I was about to pull out my camera to take some pictures, immediately I noticed my ipad was gone! Called the hotel right away about the theft and also reported to the police, and of course it's nowhere to be found! For the entire journey which only lasted about 10mins. (from the time we left hotel to the airport), It was so obvious that only the hotel staffs have handled my bags and there were no outsiders around, so the ipad was definitely stolen by the hotel staffs. The case is still under investigation after reported to the police, complained to the hotel management, shangri-la headquarters, and the respective embassy. The way Traders hotel handles this matter makes me ought to tell other travellers to avoid this hotel at all cost, I simply cannot recommend this hotel to anyone.......

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank alnmic
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

We were on the way to a resort for our honeymoon but our flight landed at 10pm. We felt like it would be a waste of a night if we checked into an expensive resort but not actually get to experience it. Instead we decided to stay at traders hotel and then travel to the resort the next day.

We were both very impressed by the service and facilities of the traders hotel!

There was a lovely lady at the airport to greet us at the airport, offer advice on luggage and cash
facilities and then take us to the speed boat gradin to male.

The speed boat was lots of fun and it was the first time my husband and I felt relaxed... The boat was clean, the porters handeled all of our luggage, and we received scented face towels (peppermint) and bottels of h20 along with our life jackets.

Check in to the hotel was very quick and easy. We sat down on the couch and the traders staff brought everything to us. They also set up free wifi acess for us and shOwed us how go use it on our iPhones.

The room was impressive. I loved the shower, the big bed and the smell of all the soaps and shampoos.

We were surprised with a special "happy honeymoon" cake...

We were also able to charge up our cameras etc with the universal power points.

The next day we went for a walk around male. Everything seems to be in walking distance. With 15minutes left before we had to depart I quickly checked trip advisor to see if we missed anything important. I saw a post about the view from the top and we quickly went up to take some amazing photos.

If we had more time we would have used the gym, the swimming pool and eaten at the rooftop restaurant. We are so happy that we didn't miss a great photo opportunity.

Buffet breakfast was also great! Lots to choose from. We were surprised to find beef bacon, and excited to have omelets specially made for us.

Great for overnight stays, business trips, business meetings and conferences, but I wouldn't spend our entire honeymoon there.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank siamavris
Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2011

We had a wonderful stay. We will recomment our friends to stay in this hotel. Staffs are very friendly. They were all so helpful. The receiption, Lime restaurant and Azur Restaurant was excellent. We loved the view from Azur Restaurant. I am 59 years all and have travelled so many places and never had such a good experience in my life. We would like to thank Sameer the duty manager and his team for the best service.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

Wanted a change from our normal overnight stay at the Hulhule before heading out for our holiday at the Conrad, so decide to stay at the Traders.

With Hulhule you are at hotel in 5 mins, rooms are ok but overpriced. We arrived on SQ night flight and had been assured we would be transferred immediately by boat to the hotel. Had requested one extra bed. Transfer took for ever and then no extra bed which we had to chase up 3 times. Took 1.5 hours to sort all out. Oh you have to walk from the jetty to the hotel - its only a couple of hundred yards though ...

Check out was a shambles. We were meant to be transferred at 6.45am (originally 6.15am) for 7.15am seaplane. Sounds short but all doable - we've done it before, it is 10 mins to the seaport. Waited and waited for someone to take our bags to the jetty, we ended up doing it ourselves. Got to seaport late and ended up on a 8.15am flight.

Nice rooms, good bathrooms (much better than Hulhule), noisier than Hulhule as in Male. You save about US$100 per night, if you have time (and not tired young children) worth doing, if not choose Hulhule

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BloomFamily
Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

Stopped off at the Traders for a day while waiting for our flight in the evening.

Had coffees, Sushi, spritzers at the roof top cafe called Azur. Amazing view of Male and the surrounding islands. A little warm but thank god for the refreshing dip in the lap pool.

The pool side bill took forever to arrive... We were one of the only tables filled. In the meantime we were sweating from the heat... Air conditioning in the restaurant might help.

• Stayed April 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Male
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,610 reviews
The Beehive
The Beehive
#3 of 36 in Male
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Mald...
#1 of 1 in Kandoomaafushi Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,398 reviews
Hotel Ocean Grand at Hulhumale
Centara Ras Fushi Resort & Spa
Kurumba Maldives
Kurumba Maldives
#1 of 1 in Vihamanafushi
5.0 of 5 bubbles 3,323 reviews

Been to Hotel Jen Male? Share your experiences!