“Expensive for what you get”
Review of Luckyhiya Hotel

Luckyhiya Hotel
Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Male
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We stayed here 4 nights to explore the maldives as we couldnt afford a resort.

We made our own way from the airport - easy and cheap. The pick up service is a rip off. It is down a small alley where local youths gather to play cards and music so it can be loud, but it didn't go on too late in the night.

Shower was good, although we lost water 3 times in 4 days, an employee crawled out of the window to fix the problem each time.

As with most places we have stayed in Asia you have to request room service they don't empty bins or replace toilet rolls, change towel etc otherwise. When we asked they did it promptly.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank PinkladyWales

Reviewed 22 April 2013

receptionist / first impression - well for starters the receptionist is the most rudest person i ever come across in the Maldives. No smile, not helpful at all and she thinks she is doing us a favour by letting us stay at this hotel. she needs to be sent to run a concentration camp instead of a hotel. i think her name was Neesha

the room - its very noisy despite closing all doors and windows. you cant sleep late as you hear outside discussions, doors closing etc. the bed is hard as a rock and the pillows are no better. you need to demand for a change of towels and linen. the AC packed up and no effort was made to fix it for 2 days and till we left and no alternative room was offered either. we went without AC or a room change for 2 days. every time i complained, someone would turn up, meddle around with the remote and vanish and never to come back

food - eat from outside and not the hotel

wi-fi - poor reception and with many interruptions

elevator - probably the slowest in Asia I would say

positives - after much negotiations and mentioning about the non working AC etc i managed to get an additional hour past check out time

Room Tip: check the AC, and the bed conditions before hand ask for fresh towels and linen and remind them of...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Raajiv
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Ok, so I never thought that I would be giving the lowest rating to any hotel, because I always try to find a positive aspect in each one of them. But there is always a first time, so thanks Lucky Hiya for that.

If you can take a piece of advice: AVOID THIS HOTEL. Do not stay here. Avoid like the plague. And I could go on... I write a review for every single hotel where I stay as a tourist (you can check my profile), and in this case I decided to postpone my review for a few weeks, in order to depurate my emotions. But I still feel like I've been stolen.

The good:

- It's really hard for me to find a positive point after our disastrous stay at this hotel. Only point worth mentioning is is that the guy who accompanied us to the airport after checkout was nice with us.

The not-so-good:

- As we were not familiar with Male airport and our flight arrived late at night, we requested the airport pick-up service. Unfortunately there was no one waiting for us, even though our flight arrived on time. After 15 minutes of loooking around, no one showed up. So we decided to take the taxi boat ourselves, and from the jetty in Male we hauled our lugagge under the rain to the hotel, which is located ten mins walk away. To our surprise, no one apologized and furthermore we were told that we should have waited in the airport.

- The hotel charges 20 USD per double room for transport from and to the airport (which is a rip-off, as they will take you to the taxi-boat which charges 10 MRF per person -that's about 0.70 USD- and then use a car for a 7-block lift). Upon my request of having a refund for not having been picked up at the airport, the person in the front-desk refused to do so, and stated that we had to email Agoda to claim for that.

- The room was extremeley noisy, even with window closed. It was past midnight, and we could hear people shouting around the neighbourhood. And be prepared to be woken up by the early morning prayers.

- The bed was hard as a rock, so in a way it was positive that we only were to stay for 6 hours in this hotel (some people would dispute whether this can be called a hotel)

- However, the worst was still to come. I decided to take a shower, but there was no way to do so because there was no water! Just to be completely clear, there was no water at all, neither hot nor cold. I know that it sounds like one of those (bad) movies but unfortunately I'm not exaggerating. I called the reception so request to be moved to another room, but they said it was not possible and that they would send someone to check on the water issue. Being almost 2 AM, I refused and went to sleep.

Someone could say that you get what you pay for, but at 76 USD/night, this was a rip off for what I got in return (basically nothing). The hotel management should be ashamed of the pictures that they use to promote this in Agoda.

If you are considering a stay in this hotel, it's probably because you need to catch an early flight to you resort the next morning. My suggestion is to avoid this hotel and spend your money somewhere else. In my case, it's never again.

Room Tip: Our room was extremely noisy and, given the size of the hotel, I don't think the others are any...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hernan_y_Tina
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I stayed at Lucky Hiya last month with my daughter. Hotel has good location, only couple of minutes from ferry terminal. Our rate included breakfast-not huge but tasty.The stuff at the front desks extremely polite and helpful. Owner of the hotel Mr. Ibrahim, very friendly and helped us to schedule trips to Kuda Bandos and Embudu atoll. Overall I would definitely choose this hotel in case of coming back to Male.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank US100
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Good location - only a very short walk to the ferries to/from the airport and very easy to find. Located next to the Collega of Islamic Studies. Friendly service (for instance they let me print out my flight booking at no cost). WiFi. Clean.

Rooms are rather small and once one morning there was no cold water in the shower - only boiling hot water.

Btw: Don't get your local money (MVR) from the ATM's in Maldives unless you plan to spend ALL your MVR's - because you cant' change these money back to any foreign currency. Instead - bring USD or Euro in cach to change into MVR - and keep your receipts; then you'll be able to change.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed for 1 night as we arrived too late for a transfer to the Island. This hotel just fitted the bill clean, good shower. Nice staff and just what was needed before an early start. Although as with everything in the Maldives, expensive for what we had.

Two things to remember when in Male, there is no alcohol served anywhere. When at the airport if you have any kind of delay, go to the ATM and get a small amount of their currency and go outside to the small outdoor restaurant as everything is a fraction of the prices charged in dollars within the airport.

The water taxi service from the airport to the main island is very quick and cheap

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Said that in Male' everything is more expensive than you would expect, this hotel is not an exception. I stayed there overnight before flying out of The Maldives in the morning.
The place is really not easy to be found and asking around is not really helpful, as locals do not know the place, neither the street it is located. Best is if you go there by taxi!
The rooms are very outdated and the management is not really doing anything to give a better impression: old linnen, dark lights, small defects that could be easily fixed, etc.
Don't make use of the Airport pick-up that they offer: the taxi ride to the jetty will cost you 20 rufiyaa and the ferry to the airport 10 more!
As a Maldivian work permit holder I can get a refund for the 8USD city tax, nevertheless, the staff was obviously not very happy to see that extra 8 bucks vanish.

Overall I have to say that in Male, for this price category, not much better offer can be found; but despite this a little more attention to detail, would certainly help!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Kalubalesh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Male
Central Boutique Inn
#8 of 10 in Hulhumale
Mookai Suites
Mookai Suites
#18 of 34 in Male

Been to Luckyhiya Hotel? Share your experiences!