“A few days at the Hotel Octave”
Review of Hotel Octave

Hotel Octave
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Male
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This hotel is small with limited facilities but the staff are very helpful, the rooms are clean, the bed is comfortable and the internet works (if you know how to reset the WAP ;-))

The view from my window was awful but it is very central and the staff are very helpful about places to eat.

It is a good place to stay if all you want is a clean comfortable room for a night or two. Transfers to and from water ferry were excellent.

Room Tip: Check if there are any coat hangers and have a look out the window.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank HelenLongsight
There are newer reviews for Hotel Octave

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I am a believer. I read good things about this small hotel on Trip Advisor, so booked it for my one night in Male. If I ever come back, I will stay there again.
Why? You might ask.
Well, it is neat and clean, the rooms, though small, have everything you need, and the staff is 5 star. These guys pick you up at the airport, just as you clear customs, take you to the ferry, ride with you, then put you in a waiting car, and whisk you to the hotel. In my case, they gave me a town tour on the way, so I could get my bearings and decide what I wanted to see later.
At registration, I was comfortably seated, give a refreshing ginger lemonade, and told about the hotel. The hotel includes breakfast with the room, starting at 0700. I am an early riser. So they told me where I could go to get a cup of coffee at 0500, my normal waking hour.
When I got to my air conditioned room, the wi-fi was explained, the TV controls explained, and the mini bar rules explained. While I was settling in, I was surprised and elated to see they had an electrical plug adapter ready and waiting in the room, so you don’t have to bring your own.

When I went for my walk around town and was ready to get some food, they explained where I could go, how much it should cost, and changed money for me to make it easier to deal with the local cafes.
This place is aces. If the room were 20 sqft larger, I’d give it 5 stars.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank CommanderChip
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Considering that the hotel is located in the centre of Male it is surprisingly quiet. The room was very clean but the internet did not work even when we asked about the business centre, which they didn't really seem that bothered about amending.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NKelly186338
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My wife and I stayed for only one short overnight before our seaplane flight. We were picked up at the airport and whisked away to the ferry and then by car to the hotel. The pickup and the return to the airport was done with impressive efficiency. We were greeted by very friendly staff with a welcome drink and led to our room on one of the higher floors. The room was somewhat on the smaller side but perfectly comfortable. As we got in late and were leaving very early we didn't really get a good sense of what Male was about but it looked like a very compact city with narrow lanes but not really worth spending too much time in. The hotel is tucked away in one of the narrow lanes. Noise was not an issue for us. We didn't get to have breakfast as we left very early but we were offered a breakfast to go. This is a good option for an overnight.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelglobe
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Stayed for 3 nights on a business trip. Small but clean and well functioning hotel with very friendly staff. Located in the middle of Male, close to the main road. The transfers from- and to the airport were perfectly arranged. Elevator "bing" quite loud.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kaaskop-HH
Reviewed 28 January 2014

On my inbound leg, I stayed 2 nights at the Octave. This hotel is basic, inexpensive, clean and friendly. I missed the transfer because of baggage problems, but got on the phone, was given easy instructions to the water taxi (1/2 block easy walk from the airport baggage area) and taken to the hotel.
The rooms are basic and clean. Air conditioning worked well (the ceiling fan could have used some oil!) and the bed was comfortable. The reception staff is very helpful. You will hear street noise and call to prayer- but I put my earplugs in and had no big issues with noise. As a single woman traveling alone, they went out of their way to show me where things are and one of the guys even walked a few blocks with me to show me the right way to the waterfront.
Several local restaurants (great samosas right across the street!) around for take out (women don't generally eat alone in the local restaurants) and about 3-4 blocks to western style restaurants. Several small grocery and fruit stands within the one block area.
The front desk arranged a private snorkeling tour for me one morning (pick up by motor scooter, out to a private boat and an hour at a reef about 15 minutes away- fabulous! saw turtles sharks and rays).

On my outbound leg, I had a day room in Hulhulemale. The room was more modern, clean and about the same price as the Octave, but the problem with Hulhulemale is that there's nothing around there- its all tourist guest houses and no real in-country flavor. The beach is pretty, but women have to cover up (suggested minimum is to swim in a tee shirt and modest shorts over your swimsuit= as the sign says bikini wear is illegal!) Its actually faster to get into Male cite (via ferry) from the airport then it is to take a shuttle to Hulhulemale.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank olly637
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed two nights to rest up after flying Vancouver, Beijing, Singapore,Male before we transferred to a resort. The rooms are set around a central staircase/elevator which made for a very noisy stay. We were picked up from our late night flight and transferred first by boat & then car to the hotel. There was an unexplained delay in leaving the airport which did not help after a long trip. The hotel is located on a rather narrow & dark street which had us staying in the hotel on the second night. Male is NOT a very welcoming city and we would if at all possible avoid staying there again when we next visit a Madives resort. The best part of our stay was the vast menu offered by the hotel. Transfer to the airport to catch our Trans Maldivian Twin Otter flight to the resort was another confused affair. We were unceremoniously dropped at the dock handed our boat ticket, no Thank You for staying at the Octave, have a pleasant remaining stay in the Maldives, nothing.

Room Tip: Try a top floor room to avoid the noise associated to foot falls and furniture being moved on hard s...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MacBritishColumbia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Male
Hotel Jen Male
Hotel Ocean Grand at Hulhumale
Tropic Tree Hotel Maldives
Tropic Tree Hotel Maldives
#1 of 1 in Gulhi Island

Been to Hotel Octave? Share your experiences!