“There are Other Hotel to go with better service”
Review of Mookai Hotel

Mookai Hotel
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Male
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The only reason I gave another rating than 1, is because they are good enough to let us check out until 1600.
My stay was not satisfying, hotel has no clue about touristic places (hey... its MALDIVES) and they gave us direction to an island only for local, and no id whatsoever.
All the employee, had no smile. The TV remote doesnt work, and when asked for new one, workers came with long face.
What really irritate me, they have no id about things to do in Maldives and even gave wrong direction to one of the island.
One trip is more than enough to this hotel

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 July 2012

Mookai Hotel has the advantage of being located right next to the ferry terminal in Male'. However, the quality of room allotted depends on your luck. It could be a damp, poorly lit room or a bright cheerful room with a wonderful view. Rooms are fairly small. There are much better options available elsewhere on the island if one is willing to compromise on the view.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Conveniently located and close to the ferries, the hotel seemed a good option for my 4-day business trip to Male. The first room I got was small and lack of space made the stay not very pleasant.The breakfast table too, was substandard. On top, I felt that the room was not cleaned properly, so I asked, the next day, for another room. The other room was significantly bigger and well maintained. So, I dismissed the idea of shifting ton another place. The night however, was a nightmare. The room was fully infested with bedbugs which I, in the middle of the night, found out would have completely attacked me allover. I asked for new bedsheets and a cleaning but could not really enjoy the rest of the night. THe hotel management next day in the morning did not bother to be pro-active or check in any way. I would surely not recommend this place to anyone, unless this problem is not solved with vigorous treatment..

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank sandrarothboeck
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Located at less than five minutes walking distance from the Jetty, it is ideal for connections to and from the airport irrespective of what time of the day/night you land.
The rooms can be pretty small unless you get one of the better series... the 07 series is good, especially on the seventh floor.
The staff is pretty friendly and helpful.
All in all reasonable for a very short stay on the island.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms ending in 07... these are the better ones.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MaitriWorks
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Conveniently located for access to and from the airport via water taxi. The rooms were quite small, but comfortable enough for a stay of a few nights. Breakfast was available in the hotel immediately opposite, as was a buffet lunch and dinner. Mookai is quite convenient for local facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor with sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Like a lot of people using this hotel, we arrived into Male on a late night flight and needed somewhere to stay before being transferred to our resort the next day.
Locating the hotel at night was easy, just a quick $1 USD ferry ride from the airport and only a few hundred meter walk from the ferry wharf. The location was perfect for use as a transit hotel, we very relieved to not have to walk around Male late at night dragging our luggage looking for a hotel!
Check in was straight forward and the lady even informed us of the resort transfer plans for the next day.
We were given a room on the 7th floor, which was spacious for our needs and the room and bathroom were clean. The furnishings are bathroom quality were adequate and matched the low rate we paid for this hotel (low compared to traders and other hotels on the island).
The bed was a little hard and the bedding's minimal, the room was perfect for a 1 or 2 night budget stay but I wouldn't exactly spend a week here.
If looking for a hotel for a 1 night transit stop without paying a fortune then Mookai Hotel is perfect. The location alone makes it ideal for this purpose.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TimBags
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I was little late making the reservation for the hotel in Male. I had three hours transfer in Singapore that I decided to use to book the hotel. Expedia and few of the other more well-known booking engines returned a very limited number of choices. The choices presented were mainly Hulhule Island hotel and the former Holiday Inn, which was recently branded as Trader’s. The price of both are rather high

Then, I remembered, that I had used the Booking.com to make my reservation for an overnight stay in Male on my previous trip. The reservation system came back with quite a few different options from low to high and everything in between. Decided to book the Mookai hotel that is very conveniently located to the waterfront where the boats from the airport dock. The hotel itself is within two/three minute walk from the pier.

When checking in, the front desk had no idea that I had made a reservation. Not sure, how often and how the reservations made at Booking.com are processed, obviously not in real time. After I pulled up my phone and showed the reservation, everything was good to go. Surprisingly, they just charged the reservation up front, so there was nothing to settle when I left the following morning.

First, I was assigned a room in one of the highest floors. It had two or three beds and felt quite cramped. Also, there was absolutely no wireless internet signal. Went back to the front desk to get a new room. This time they gave me a room 707 on the 7th floor that fit to my needs much better. The wireless internet worked well too. The room only had one bed that was enough for a night’s sleep. They had fairly modern flat panel TV’s, and carried the usual local and international channels i.e. CNN. The AC unit was good too.

All the floors have a rather large “lobby” where multiple rooms are connected. The lobby has a TV and a sitting area with a table. This might have been a residential building previously that explains this bit weird setup.

Not sure what is the “official” rating of this hotel. Based on my couple of thousand hotel nights, I would give it somewhere between two and two and a half stars. It is ok for a night, but wouldn’t really stay there longer. Also, there are plenty of local cafes and restaurants that are within a short walking distance. The price I paid, $130 for a night, was fair considering that the Traders and Hulhule are both charging $300 to $400 per night.

Room Tip: The wireless internet is free but doesn't work in all rooms. Check it first before you unpack or...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank LoyaltyLobby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Male
Hotel Jen Male
#18 of 35 in Male
Champa Central Hotel
Champa Central Hotel
#5 of 35 in Male

Been to Mookai Hotel? Share your experiences!