“Great idea, terrible service (taxi fraud)”
Review of Hotel H2O

Hotel H2O
Ranked #11 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I really liked the idea of some relaxed fishes swimming by in the morning so I booked an aquarium room. The room itself was alright (though very small) but already the whole set up in the complex is kind of confusing. Had problems finding the lobby and the ways seemed quite long. But the worst thing was, since there is no street where taxis run right in front, I had to ask the hotel personal in front to call me a taxi. I specifically said "I need a regular, metered taxi" (since I already got ripped off at the airport). They agreed, a taxi came, I asked if it is metered, the driver said yes and the second I was inside he brought up some made up list with "government regulated prices". That happened twice and I changed the hotel to the Ramada Manila Center. Even a price class below, they never failed to get me a metered taxi. As management of H2O I would feel ashamed and train my employees better regarding customer service and what it means working in a high end hotel (130 $ per night in Philippines should get you at least normal taxis).

Room Tip: Aquarium Room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mla4ever
H2O-Manila, General Manager at Hotel H2O, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

We highly value your thoughts and feedback as it is important for us to know which areas we are in need of improvement.

It is our utmost priority to ensure that you have an excellent experience and we regret to know that the staff on duty was not able to deliver the quality level of service that they usually do. Rest assured that these concerns will be addressed by the respective departments to avoid similar incident in the future.

We look forward to welcome you back in the hope that you will give us opportunity to be of service to you once again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,242)

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Although we live in Manila my wife and I decided to stay here for one night rather than risk getting stuck in the morning rush hour due to an early morning appointment nearby. On arrival we were impressed by the professional nature of the staff, very warm and welcoming. The level of customer service in this hotel is equal to and better than many of the City's 5 Star hotels.

The rooms are adequate (we had a sea view room), pretty modern and clean with a small but more than adequate bathroom. The biggest gripe we had with the room, and the reason why we wouldn't stay at this hotel again, is that on the deck below the sea view rooms there is a third party bar that plays loud thumping bass music until 1am, even on week nights. That is the last thing you want when you need to wake up early for a business meeting!!

We booked through Agoda so got a relatively good rate however, if you look at the rack rates on the hotels own website you would expect that you're going to get absolute luxury so don't be fooled by those rates.

The breakfast is through a third party outlet within the Ocean World complex, it was adequate but certainly nothing special, although the service was pretty good, just like in the hotel.

Room Tip: Do not choose a sea view room if you want a good night's sleep, even on a weekday there is a bar...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

We appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with us. What we aim for is the highest comfort and satisfaction for our guests. However, we regret to know that your experience with us was not to your expectations. We sincerely apologize for the noise coming from outside bar. We assure necessary actions will be made to address the concern.

We are glad that you appreciated the service of our staff. Your feedback will be shared with the rest of the team.

It is our hope that there will be another opportunity for us to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed here for a night because I thought it is more convenient for us when we go and visit all the theme parks. Unfortunately if you are from Manila, it is not advisable anymore to check-in just go there and you can finish the place even on a half day.

Well probably I have a very high expectations on this hotel that definitely did not meet my standards.
I think I got the last room available at that time so I was given a handicapped room which was not even advised to me by the front office =( therefore our bathroom has no cover at all because they said it is meant for handicapped people. When I asked the housekeeping to atleast put a shower curtain because we travelled with a yaya... oh my they just put a curtain with a masking tape on it that keeps on falling down. This is the first time that I experienced a hotel without a proper shower curtain set.

Scenario at the breakfast area: another bad experience when I asked the waiter if we can use the vacant table he said yes, then i left the table to get my food then when I went back they moved my things to another table without telling me because they did'nt notice that somebody already saved the table.... huh... not so attentive people... but the breakfast was just ok.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mayette127

Thank you for taking time to post a review.

I would like to apologize for the disappointing experience you had on our Food and Beverage outlet. I will share your feedback to our F&B team as it will help us to improve the quality of our service.
With regards to your comment regarding hotel reception, this has been shared with the concerned Department Head to avoid similar incident in the future. We value your comments as it allows us to recognize the needs of our guests and to improve our service.

It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of better service to you in the near future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed here for 2 days for us to experience the famous Aqua room. I must say, it was very relaxing, soothing and calming to look at the fishes. We got to name them and observe their characters. My fiance is into aquariums and fishes. He enjoyed the place more than me. The hotel design is very contemporary and neat. Shower is nice... rain shower.

The check in was a pain. The receptionist wanted me to send him an email of the confirmation we had from booking.com. Good thing I have my tablet there to actually send it to him. What a hassle. They should have already known it or gotten it.

The lobby is very contemporary. Everything is tiny, especially the chair.
Pro
1. Aqua rooms with neat contemporary design
2. Breakfast is very good. A nice view of the bay in front of it. Servers are very attentive
Overly attentive that my fiance thinks we need to leave a tip.
3. Manila Ocean park is just outside the hotel

Con
1. The hotel lobby is on the 3rd floor.
2. Manila Ocean park is just outside this hotel and you will see a lot of crowd coming in there. I felt stupid carrying my luggage with bunch of people. I had expensive electronics with me for picture taking.
3. Taxi's are expensive, they will triple, double charge you if they see you are a foreigner.
4. Noisy & and paper thin walls. You will hear a lot of noisy children yelling.
5. Pool is nowhere in site.
6. Bathroom floor gets all wet due to the design. No privacy either because you will see the silhouette of whoevers inside and doing their business. It didn't bother us because we are a couple anyway.

Crowd is somewhat cheap for an expensive hotel. I saw a lot of "women" with a foreign men who obviously are there for "business" and brought their family and chaperon. I felt somewhat uncomfortable while at the open bar next to them. Nobody was talking to the poor white guy, whereas the family of the lady was ordering a lot of food and brought her entire family. I guess it's not the hotel's fault.. but just a warning if you a ready to see a lot of these.

There's a little mall outside of the hotel where vendors are aggressive and will put products in your face. My fiance and i were walking and this vendor put a flaming wallet in front of us.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

We greatly appreciate that you took time to share your experience during your stay at Hotel H2O.Thank you for appreciating the hotel guest room, our restaurant staff and buffet breakfast as well.

The comments you’ve had in the experience during your check-in were highlighted to the department concern to carefully look into the process and take appropriate measures where it is necessary.

Confirmation letter is mostly required to verify and for the protection of your booking as well to avoid any occurrence of fraud. We regret if this has not been clearly communicated upon your reservation thus, you do not find it favorable and we feel your disappointment. Regardless of the explanation, please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences experienced

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back and be of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Nice rooms, friendly staff and okey Breakfast! The bar at the second floor is nice in the evening. The swimming pool is dissapointing. The concierge helped us get a taxi within minutes everytime we needed one! It is less than 60 to the mall and only 100 to the restaurants etc

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to post a review.

I am glad you truly enjoyed our facilities including your breakfast experience at the Makan Makan Asian Food Village. We regret to know that you encountered some inconveniences with regards to the swimming pool. We again apologize for the inconvenience caused.

We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were visiting a sick relative, after a stressfull stay at home my wife suprised me with a 2 night stay before departing back to the U.S. Im an avid diver and keep saltwater aquaruim at home. Though I agree that it is somewhat confusing getting to the reception desk. Overall the stay was great! Staff is freindly and willing to help. Everything is "yes" sir, "yes" mam! Because is centered on the water park, we took advantage and did some of their shows and displays. I got to kiss a sealz salty!! Strongly recommend the jellyfish and aquarium displays. The breakfast included was more than I expected and dinner at the resturant was great! The staff are great and helpfull I would definately visit it again. They need a pool outside. I would have enjoyed sun bathing and swimming out doors. The whirlpool was okay but a pool outside would have been better. I was happy wuth aww some wall aquarium. I could have laid in bed all day and watch the fishies all day. They need to keep the lighrs on longer though. They go off at 8:00 pm and on at 6:00 am. You have a shade to view and to not veiw if you choose. They should also clean the glass in the room frequently. Thanks for the great time!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to post a review. We have taken note of the items that you pointed out for us to address. We are very delighted to hear that you really enjoyed your stay in our Aqua Room.

Hotel H2O is very proud of its aqua room which families really look forward to experiencing when they come to our hotel. It is great that you and your wife were able to enjoy the said room.

Your feedback will be shared to the rest of our team. We truly value your comments as these will help us improve on our services more.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcome you back anytime soon.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is a very unique hotel. It's theme is water and is attached to the Manila Ocean Park Aquarium. The rates are reasonable...I paid about $109 on agoda.com for a Bayview room. It included a buffet breakfast and I thought this price was quite reasonable. The staff is first rate, approachable, and professional. You can always judge the hotel room by the bathroom and this hotel definitely passed that test This is definitely a 4-star hotel and a good bargain.

But it is not perfect. The biggest downfall of this hotel is it's swimming pool....there is none. It's quite ironic that a hotel who's name is "water" is actually missing a swimming pool. Manila is hot and humid all year round. Getting a hotel with a pool is a must! They had a pool in the past but tore it down and expanded it's aquarium in the same area. What is left is a small covered wading pool for kids and a large cement jacuzzi that does not replace a swimming pool by any stretch of the imagination.

The absence of a swimming pool is a deal-breaker with most tourists travelling with children. I found myself having to go to the Manila Hotel next door and using their swimming pool.

The other negative aspect is the difficulty of getting a taxi outside the hotel. There is a taxi stand but you must walk about 4 mins to the outside gates of the park to find one. Four minutes may not seem long but it is if you are carrying your luggage.

If they can fix these two areas then I definitely will return!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Joe M

Thank you for taking time to post a review. We appreciate & truly value your comments as these help us to improve. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused you during your stay. Rest assured that facility improvement is on the pipeline.

I would like to thank you, for commending our staff service and also for acknowledging the hotel. It has been a pleasure to accommodate you in Hotel H2O despite the concerns that you raised which we are taking constructively.

We will continue to strive at improving our guest experience to exceed your expectations and we look forward to welcome you back in the future.