“Utterly Disgusting Experience”
Review of Pearl Lane Hotel

Pearl Lane Hotel
Ranked #34 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed 19 October 2012

The only reason why i booked this hotel because when I did my search last month tripadvisor ranked this hotel as #4 in Manila. After staying there for 2 nights earlt October I thought i'd write my own review telling the community that this hotel deserves not just a rank of # 4 but a#400. Here's why.

We stayed there over the weekend and I was appalled that this hotel asked for a 2,000 pesos deposit. No explanation was given why because in all hotels that I've stayed they wouldn't ask for one because my booking is prepaid. My booking confirmation never mentioned that we need to have a deposit of some sort. The room was very small and average with walls showing visible cracks in all direction. The lcd tv was square and it's small and our room doesn't have any windows at all which makes it very scary and weird. When I stepped on the tiles leading to the bathroom the entire row jumped of the floor and luckily no one was hurt. I didn't bother to complain since me and my family was so busy preparing some kid's stuff but anyone in the room notice how embarrassed I am. What embarrassed me more is that the toilet flush didn't worked the 2nd day and the bathroom stinks so bad.

Breakfast buffet was available the next day. I was expecting that it's a lavish buffet with multiple options but I was wrong. The following are on the buffet station-1 juice-1 viand (hotdog on saturday, pork adobo on sunday), 1 veggie, 1 rice, bread, butter right next to the egg station. i don't think that's what we call a buffet. It's just plain breakfast and for the price I paid I expect more & we deserve more. I was utterly disappointed. Now the thrilling part is when we're about to check-out. After waiting for more than 30 minutes they accused us that we took 1 towel because it's missing. Imagine the humiliation that me and my family experienced and i'm confident that we never took it so I open all of our luggages in front of them showing them all of our stuffs as I throw them one by one on the floor piece by piece. Still the front desk lady was not convinced so I asked to go back to the room to check and this time I was fuming mad and I was ready to blow up. I went to the room and someone from housekeeping told me that it's really missing and they can't find it. I told them that I'm tired and sick of this whole mess so I went down & I told the front desk that we did not took that towel and we will never pay a dime because they said it's missing. This time I was really disgusted and demanded our deposit back so we could leave. And just to share another guests who checked out earlier than us was fuming mad because the front desk and housekeeping personnel argued with him for entering his room without prior notification. I will never ever go back to this hotel and I deeply regret, not because I wrote a very negative review, but because I chose this hotel when i could have paid the same amount at other hotels and enjoyed their wide selection of breakfast buffet and our kids can enjoy the pool and maybe the view of Manila Bay. That hotel was the worst hotel we ever stayed & I will tell all my friends and I will never recommend it to my clients.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank LOVEME2011

Reviewed 19 October 2012

An old standby

Fast check in, quiet room, safe.and comfortable.

I've stayed in this hotel many times. The staff are top notch, service excellent the room quiet, unassuming and plenty of electrical outlets to charge up all of your devices simultaneously after many hours of travel. Free wireless to remain in touch with whomever you need to connect with is a distinct plus. Breakfast with a morning papers is always a nice touch if you need to reenergize prior to your next day's adventure(s). I will probably always keep this hotel in my shortlist of places to stay without a lot of aggravation on my first night in Manila.
Nightlife Tip: Extremely close to all of the KTV, bars, discos and resturaunts as well as Casinos. You really CAN'T go wrong with the location (2 blocks from Robinsons Place).

Room Tip: Shopping is always good at Robinsons Place
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Angelescitypi
Reviewed 4 October 2012

stayed here twice during my vacation in the philippines. 1st visit is during my arrival. The receptionist is warm welcoming. Speedy check-in. I had my standard room. Small but enough for one person. But it was amazing with its price compared to other cheap inn's. Breakfast was OK. The only thing i noticed is that, the restaurant is crowded with students doing thier training i guess. My second stay is before my departure. This time, i had thier Deluxe King Room. It was huge and compy. The Staff are really great. They even arrange to keep my frozen stuff to thier kitchen. Friendly housekeepng staff. The only areas to improve are your reservation system online and your business center. Anyhow, i enjoyed my two stays. Keep it up guys.

Room Tip: 1. King Deluxe Rooms are the best on the higher Floor 2. Call for Reservation
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Matt M
Reviewed 14 September 2012

My rating for Pearl Lane is based on the fact that this is a budget hotel, a standard room for P2,100 with all amenities for a comfortable stay. The positives outweight the very tiny room (good only for a short stay, for people who are always out, who simply need a clean, well-kept, safe place to stay while in Manila and free breakfast spread to start the day right.

Centrally located, near a big mall, 7-eleven store; easy access to public transport (LRT, jeepney, taxi), easy to find; safe neighborhood (across St Pauls University Manila campus). The best thing is that the receptionist calls a staff assigned to the floor to inform that guests/visitors are going up -- which is to me a very conscientious effort by hotel mgt to ensure the safety of all guests.

Staff are friendly and knowledgeable. They really understand what in means to be in the hospitality/service business. Everyone smiles and greets you politiely -- the guard, receptionist and every staff I met.

Wifi in the room is very dependable. (The receptionist was quick to make amends that the computer/internet in lobby is slow.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank May12
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed at this hotel December 2011 for my first trip to Manila. Location is good at Malate, walking distance about 5-10 minutes to train station. Very near to Robinson Mall, a good shopping place for us. Very close to entertainment area also. We went there almost everyday. Room is small with a small TV also, but still well-maintained. Furnitures as are simply dark wood type. Only the aircon is bit outdated. Breakfast at rooftop with ok breakfast. What we like most on this hotel is the service, all staff are superfriendly, especially the staff at the restaurant. Keep up the good job!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank gavinxyz
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I like this hotel. The location is very convenient first of all. Robinson mall is a block away...3 min walk. Makati is 100-150 peso depended on traffic. Mall of Asia would be the same. Their restaurant is on top floor which is nice...but foods are philippino style breakfast...i would say so so...not for foreigners but u can eat it at Robinson mall anyway. Gay area is also a block away. Mabini street is two blocks away. It means this hotel is accessible to many but have enough distance from noises. Staff are very helpful and efficient. You need to pay refundable 2000 peso upon check in. Room is small but efficient. Good wifi connection...fridge, safety box, table are in a room. Bed is quite hard in terms of North American standard...this is the only thing I didn't like too much. Other than that, it was great stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank CMinvan
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We were looking for a new hotel to stay but we still want to be on the budget. This hotel has exceeded my expectations for a budget hotel. The rooms, lobby, were somewhat elegant. Our room was a bit small but it has complete amenities. Refrigerator, hot/cold water, modern toilet, hair dryer, safety box, good ac. People we'ren't that friendly but was okay. I was also surprise that they have buffet breakfast. Would definitely be back here.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends