“For Upscale dining and treatment like a king”
Review of La Cocina de Tita Moning - CLOSED

La Cocina de Tita Moning
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Philippine, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Kula, Hawaii
“For Upscale dining and treatment like a king”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

La Cocina de tita Moning is possibly one of the finest dining experiances I have ever experianced. You must choose your menu and course of eating prior to making your reservations... It is located in the Mansion of a once prominant Doctor of the 40's and 50's... Private and personal waitresses wait on your every need and want.. a bell is on your table to ring for any service... Historical, private and an experiance I believe should be tried... If you have that special someone, impress her, while impressing yourself... Thank you La Cocina de Tita Moning... And thank God for experiancing this place in my life time...

Visited September 2012
1 Thank GuadalupeBill
monings_12, Owner at La Cocina de Tita Moning, responded to this review, 12 May 2013
A million Thanks for your kind words Guadalupe Bill. It was an honor to be able to share our heritage with you. Every member of the team at La Cocina de Tita Moning is grateful for your visit and we look forward to welcoming you again.
May love and light follow you in all your travels, and may you have more memorable dining experiences.

Manila, Philippines
“It was more than a dinner, it was an experience.”
Reviewed 2 May 2013

As you enter the gates of La Cocina De Tita Moning, you are transported a world of the past -- with the aged wood floorings, to the paintings hung on the walls, until the intricacies of the designs and antiques which belonged to the family. Started off at the verandah where the tour guide will address you with some cocktails, and then you will be transported to the different rooms of what used to be's and the pictures of family. The tour guide was impressive as she was very knowledgeable. She seems to know all the little details of everything which was inside the house. She knows everyone in the family just like as if she was a relative of theirs. We ended up having our dinner at the master's bedroom. We were seated and were served with gusto instantaneously. (They even had a brochure of all the staff which are working there!) Throughout the meal, servers were very attentive and they really make you feel at home.

The food is not to be left unmentioned, starting off with a trio of appetisers. We had the pork with almond pili milk, gazpacho with avocado and gambas with chorizos. It hit the spot for me especially the gazpacho. For mains, we had the seafood potpourri and the lamb shanks -- it was executed perfectly, seafood are not overdone and lamb was tender. I would probably have opted for the osso bucco the next time though.

The clear winner for me were the desserts. We were given a sampler of desserts including the famous bread pudding. This was to die for. It isn't heavy handed, and just had the right balance and texture to make you oooh and ahhhh. Not leaving the fritters and polvorones with mango behind -- these didn't fail to deliver.

Overall, a great night which started so well and ended even better!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank jasondtan
Manila
“An Experience To Remember”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Las Casas was successful in taking us back in time. The charming 1930s ancestral home retains it's original furniture, appliances and decor, thus, giving us an idea the life of the affluent during that time. This is a good place to entertain a foreigner or just anybody who is interested with history.

I rate it 4 star rather than 5 because of the food. The food was above average, but not spectacular. I like the appetizer (seafood with chorizo, pork belly in pili milk and another I forgot, shot of something with avocado). The main course wasn't so great. We had the lamb shank and osso buco. The dessert was better, it was a sample consisting of fritters, bread pudding and 2 others that names are already forgotten.

Just like the reviewer before me, go because of the house but not really because of the food.

Will I go back again? Maybe, if we have to entertain a balikbayan guest or foreigner friends. I think they will appreciate the experience.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank sophiegrayy
monings_12, Owner at La Cocina de Tita Moning, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Many thanks for sharing your experience and for choosing to visit us. We are grateful to have been able to share our heritage while we still can.
Everyday , the La Cocina kitchens strive to better ourselves and our work . We thank you for this opportunity to do so. We hope you will visit us again.
We wish you many more wonderful meal experiences in the future.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Excellent Choice of Restaurant”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We came by this restaurant by chance. Just as we finished a tour at Fort Santiago, a joint marketing activity by the tour came by and we decided to try it out since its 8 minutes away and we were hungry. The restaurant is a boutique restaurant where the owners converted their ancestral home into a family museum and restaurant. We were greeted by a fleet of staff of high service quality and was hosted around the house to take a tour around it's antiquities. Collections of medical books, medical equipments, cameras, radios, china were found in close to perfect condition considering its age. Food was excellent touch of local taste with light Spanish taste and very home made. A must try I would say! P/s: the bread and butter pudding is best I had!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank mystkl85
Thank you for your kind words. We are honored to have been part of your experience and glad you enjoyed the experience in our home. We look forward to welcoming you again.
“Gem in the heart of Manila”
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I would have not dined here without the recommendation of my friends. I was invited to have dinner here by my friend. She asked me to see the menu so we can book our reservation on our chosen date. When I saw the price and menu, i was thinking the price was too much for a simple set meal and told my friend I had to say no. But then my friend insisted and said it was her going away treat for me.

I came with much expectations given the price. In my mind, this must be good because I will be dining with friends who are enjoy dining at different restaurants. Since it was one of my last few dinners in Manila before I leave, it should be memorable.

Location of La Cocina de Tita Moning is in the heart of Manila. We came on a saturday night so the streets were not so busy. It is located near Malacanang and near some colleges so if you intend to go on a weekday, better a lot time for your travel.

We were welcomed in the patio with drinks (iced tea) and toast with Queso de Bola spread which I heard is one of their specialties. After that, we were led to the main house for our house tour. We visited each area of the house were told stories and trivias by our guide. It was very informative and made me appreciate the place more.

After the tour, we were brought to the main dining area where our table was set nicely. The Murano glass which belong to the collection of Tita Moning served as our center piece. The table setting was very elegant and the plates and utensils are from the Legarda collection too.

We ordered ahead a set meal that consist of green salad with balsamic vinegar with hazelnut , pumpkin soup, Lumpiang Ubod, Roasted pork belly with sweet potato and bread pudding for dessert. The other set menu that we got include Paella Valenciana, lengua, sauteed vegetables, baked spinach and pudding.

I enjoyed the roasted pork and sweet potatoes! I like the crunchiness of the pork skin and how soft the meat were. I love pumpkin soup and their pumpkin soup did not fail me. Generally their food are very good and will really fill your tummies. I would say that we really had a HAPPY meal.

I would rate the service Excellent. They were very attentive and courteous. And with the dedication in their work that I saw, i would say that they really take pride in what they do and offer.

It was a pricey set meal around $30 - $45 per person but the experience was worth it in fact after the dinner I couldn't stop talking about the experience. The La Cocina experience was truly memorable and would love to come back and date my husband when We come back to the Philippines for a visit.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank soblessed0827
monings_12, Owner at La Cocina de Tita Moning, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
We are honored and humbled by your kind words. Thank you for choosing to spend your evening in old Manila with us. The entire team of La Cocina de Tita Moning , who are the true treasures of the home, look forward to welcoming you again one day. It was an honor to serve you.