“Review”

Manila Grand Opera Hotel
Ranked #28 of 109 Hotels in Manila
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for couple nights. Front desk are easy to approach, friendly, and kind. Facility is clean and neat also easy to find the place however lack of amenities, out dated room, and overall satisfactory 7 out 10.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Manila Grand Opera Hotel

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have stayed here for more than 5 times already whenever my girlfriend and I wanted to unwind.
this hotel is clean and breakfast is good but the location is not so good considering it is right in doroteo jose lrt station. you cannot go out and stroll comfortably especially at night.. so when we stay here we just stay in our room and just spend time lazing around.. there's a pool but we havent gone to use it. if you are looking for a place to stay the night and is on a tight budget.. this is the one you are looking for

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chris p
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Myself and my boyfriend booked this hotel as a base to begin our holiday in the Philippines. We arrived from the airport after an overnight flight earlier than check in and were allowed to check in early however our room smelt very strongly of paint or oil and the fan was so loud it was impossible to sleep. When we mentioned this to the reception staff they were extremely helpful and immediately moved us to another more suitable room. We were impressed by the staff and the food in the hotel which was just as well as when we asked which shops were good nearby we were warned not to leave the hotel unless by taxi ( it wasn't safe to ) and this was in broad daylight !this scared us greatly and we felt trapped in the premises. We noticed security guards with guns and guard dogs at the hotel entrance . Although this may be normal to some we were very unnerved and it hampered our enjoyment of the hotel and impression of the country in general . Our taxi ride from the hotel to the airport was nail biting to say the least! The taxi driver was very stressed as his car engine was overheating and the air con was broken . He had to pull over every few minutes to open the bonnet and pour water into it. He also locked our doors from the inside before setting off and we honestly felt sick with worry for the entire journey. Overall this was a lovely hotel with beautiful decor and very helpful staff (especially Dian who was the most courteous concierge wed met !). The pool also looked beautiful but we were too tired to avail of it. Just a pity we were too frightened to fully appreciate and enjoy our stay more.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JacquiO32
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The hotel I wanted was booked on the day I wanted, and the next hotel nearest to it was this. I was a little hesitant because of the price, but I booked it for the location anyway.

Pros:

1. Very professional. From the bellboy, to the security guard, to the receptionist, to the room service, I was impressed at the service. Front desk was very helpful. The main lobby was clean, albeit a little crowded at that time, but it looked like a real hotel. Security was good too, I really felt safe despite the seedy neighborhood outside.

2. The room was clean. The pillows and sheets were neat and clean, the bathroom was also clean.

3. It has all that you need and more. The room had cable TV, a ref, strong AC, thermos, drinking glasses, lots of power outlets, had fresh towels, and toiletries. No slippers though. They have a restaurant downstairs, there is also a doughnut shop, and an ATM booth right outside. It has a casino, and if you're into that, there is a pawnshop in the ground floor too. There are two main elevators, and if you're fed up waiting, there's a third one a few feet away that leads to the pool area. Free wi-fi is available, and is pretty strong. Shuttles to malls are available, and getting a taxi is not a problem.

Cons:

I haven't really found something to complain about, except maybe that I had a hard time looking for the switch to the lamp over the coffee table. So I slept with that light on. There is 7/11 across the street, and an MRT or LRT station nearby, but I didn't feel safe walking outside at night.

I would definitely stay here again if I need to be in the area. I would recommend it to solo travelers and families. It's not a high class hotel, but at least it is very presentable.

Room Tip: There are a lot of people here, and many times I had to wait long for the elevator as it would mostl...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Jet M
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My husband booked an overnight stay in the hotel for a business engagement in chinatown. It seemed that the Grand Opera Hotel is the only noteworthy hotel in the area. Our reservation for a premium room was made online. The hotel parking was packed. We had to valet our car. Check in was quick. The premium room boasted of the extra feature of a window. At first I thought behind the ceiling to floor curtains would be the window but it actually is a wall. The real window is tiny but I guess I should be thankful to be able to appreciate actual daylight shining through in the otherwise dimly lit room. The room AC could not cool the room quick enough even though temperature setting was already at 18C. The bed is firm, too firm for my liking. When you get in to the bathroom and turn the light switch on, the exhaust also turns on. That exhaust is something....it sounds and makes you feel like you are about to be sucked in to some vortex. It is just too loud. There were no towels and we had to ask twice for someone to hand them to us. The towels are thin, rough and with frayed edges. The water in the shower takes some time to warm. Coupled with the exhaust that fans and the slow to warm water in the shower, it can get chilly in the bath for the first few minutes.
Wifi is reliable and fast however, the need to type in username and password each time you need to log in is inconvenient.
We ordered for room service at 2 am. Both in room menus state that service is available for 24 hours. We decided to order rice toppings and congee for a very late dinner. On the phone, we were told that the items on the menu that feature the chinese style food offerings are only available until 10pm...despite the 24 hour availability stamped on the menu. there was no other option but to order from a very limited menu. We put in a deposit of P2000 for the stay. Much to our surprise, we still needed to pay for the food delivered to our doorstep, having been told that the deposit does not cover room service orders. The food was ordinary, the same can be said for the buffet at breakfast.
In the area, I guess this hotel will definitely rate better than most and people will choose to stay here. But far from being content with what people will make do as the place to stay, they should level up their facilities and service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Wandering M
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Curious as to what they have done to the former grand old lady of vaudeville, I chose to stay here for 19 nights from 28 Jan to 28 Feb 2014 in between my tours of the Philippines to find out what the fuss is all about. In the lobby and the public places, I was disappointed to see only enlarged photo murals of the former theatre and some known great artists of the past_ no original artifacts or anything to indicate that it used to be a great place of entertainment.

The service is exceptionally good for a 3 or 4 star hotel. They attend to your complaint promptly. The hotel is excellently located just beside a main thoroughfare, it even has its own private entrance to the public elevated train (LRT). A word of warning, if you like quiet and orderly street with fancily dressed people, then this hotel is not for you. But if you don't mind a little chaos and you get excited to see a mass of real people and not-so-upscale shopping (bargains galore and it is not even Divisoria yet), then this is for you. The hotel actually lights up the area being overwhelmed by the shadow of the LRT train tracks.

My main complaint is that most of the rooms have no windows, just floor to ceiling drapes to give the feeling of great windows. The room ACs are quiet but the bathroom exhaust fans are disturbingly loud and radical. Some rooms are poorly lit. Another negative, having to enter two sets of long numbered codes to get into your PC each time you use it. It also expires everyday. The free breakfast is painfully repetitious but okay. It has good sized pools and a dry sauna. When I first checked in, I thought I won't last. Surprisingly, I enjoyed my whole stay. Maybe because I am a people person.

Room Tip: For a few dollars more, get the front rooms with the windows. Could be noisy being beside the stree...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Chavivs
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

The place is easily accessible by car or by LRT.
The hotel is well kept and classy. We've tried a handful of rooms and we're always satisfied. One negative, though, is it ages fast. Replacement of some bathroom fixtures would be better. The buffet bfast is always satisfying.

• Stayed: June 2013