“Another robbery at this hotel”

Slouch Hat Inn and Pub
Slouch Hat Inn and Pub
Ranked #27 of 75 Manila B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 November 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Slouch Hat Ermita mid October 2010 we were told when booking the room that the only room available was ROOM 207 PHP1899 per night and was suposedly newly renovated so we agreed on that room. Turned out the room was very poor quality and extremely noisy. I tried to change the combination on the safety box but coudn't get it to work properly, as we needed to go out for approx 2 hours I decided to leave the $1,500 AUS in the corner under the head or the bed as it was a hard place to access $100 notes was missing we called the evening manager to the room to explain the situation but she did not want to know about it. Because of the way the money went missing I have a bad feeling that there maybe a mini camera hidden in the air conditioner or somewhere else in the room. It looks like this is happening far too often and I would advise everyone to keep clear of the hotel and tell others of this problem,

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Pinoylover_10

Reviewed 20 October 2010

Just like in a previous review, I had money stolen from the safety deposit box in my room. I had counted my money prior to leaving the room, and when I returned two hours later, I opened the box and realised it had been opened in my absence.

A large amount of cash in bills had been taken from my wallet, but not all of it.

I informed the manager and also the owner, they both were unable to offer an explanation, only saying the staff were all trustworthy.

This must be an ongoing problem at this hotel, but nothing has been done to stop this theft.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
6  Thank Jayge62
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Had a nice stay with my wife and her sister. We booked a couple of rooms, they were good enough for a nights sleep.
We enjoyed the food and atmosphere of the bar and found the staff friendly and easy going.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Davoaus
Reviewed 30 June 2010

My brother and myself became victims of the Theives at the slouch Hat - we lost both our cameras from our rooms.

We got the same response from the Aussie owner - he couldn't have cared less that we had been lost goods from our rooms.

Wouldnt stay there again and have told friends that go to Manila never to say there.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
7  Thank JennyRoots
Reviewed 12 March 2010

The Inn is located at the end of Del Pilar in Ermita, therefore you can reach most of the Shopping (Robinson Mall) and Nightlife on foot in a matter of minutes. Access to the guestrooms is through the pub on the ground level. Rooms are spread out on the 1st and 2nd floor.

The pub offers the usual pub grub of Burgers, Wings, Pizza, Chili etc. I tried the Chili, but the sauce was mainly Ketchup based and seemed to be made of 50% pure sugar. The live band has been very good as all the local bands and played a nice mixture of classics and actual songs. Beer prices have been reasonable.

The room - costing Peso 1.599,- was overpriced, considering the room size, although it has been reasonable clean. It has been facing the main road, so you effecively hear every Jeepney accelerating down Del Pilar Rd. There are definetely no quite nights at this place.

There has been a big warning sign "Not to become the next victim" of theft in the rooms. So I picked up the key to the safety deposit box at the reception counter downstairs and deposited my valuables in the room safe.

Bad surprise the next day, when I wanted to check out. Of my EUR 680,- in total EUR 200,- were missing. Of my stash of Peso 25.000 the amount of 10.000,- had been missing. During the night I have been out before, somebody with the spare key or a copy took the money from the safety deposit box.

I brought this to the attention of the Australian Manager, who tried to blame it on the local girls customers tend to bring home for the night. But this has not been the case for me, as I definetely came back alone. I disliked the idea very much, that a serious safety issue was blamed on the people who got cheated at the Slouch Hat Inn and Pub. A non acceptable attitude for a person running a business in the hospitality industry. Running around Manila at night with all your valuables is no option either, so you have to trust the place you are staying at.

Therefore my warning - avoid this place until they got the safety issue fixed. Stealing money from the safety deposit box can only be an inside job and the people at the Slouch Hat Inn and Pub did not seem to care about it.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends