“More Than A Tour”

Walk This Way
Ranked #3 of 29 Tours in Manila
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Carlos Celdran takes visitors on a leisurely stroll around a selection of Intramuros' structures with an irreverent yet informative analysis of Philippine architecture, culture, and society from Pre-Hispanic Manila until the present.
Brisbane, Australia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“More Than A Tour”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

A dramatic mix of pathos, humour, pride, culture and history. This is theatre more than tourism but the theme is Manila's rich, messy, oh God so messy, history. It adds all the right elements of a Manila experience with a little food, a little of the local transport, a short walk, a little culture and some great back stories. It seems not many of the players in Manila's history have much to be proud about but pride in self comes through loud and clear and is a good message to hear in such a work in progress of a city. Love it or hate it but do it.

Visited April 2014

London
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Carlos is so funny and provides a different insight into Manila”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I really enjoyed Carlos on the tour around Fort Santiago. His thoughtful journey into history and how Manila has changed over the years due to major events provides a fantastic understanding for all ages. Most of the tour (90%) resides around the Fort Santiago, ending in a fantastic horse carriage ride or peddle power to San Agustin Church (go for the peddle power.. its like a personal mini tour) ending in a local speciality Halo-Halo desert. It would have been great to walk around the area more with Carlos, esp the different historical buildings and also understand more about modern day Manila.. however in summary I would HIGHLY recommend his unique/ fantastic/ laugher all the way tour.

Visited May 2014
Manila, Philippines
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“My 2 x 15 year olds LOVED this - that's a WIN!!!!!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

How do you get 2 x 15 year old boys who don't care about history to learn something about Manila while they are here? Carlos Celdran is your answer. On the way home afterwards my son said "that man is an inspiration". I just smiled to myself and decided it had been a worthwhile afternoon. Yes, Carlos' style is full-on but you are warned about that on the tour's website. And from reviews here. Don't go if you want a more traditional format. We found it to be a great afternoon out, with lots of laughs and we all came away having learnt a fair bit of Philippines history.....without even realising we were having a history lesson. That's MY kind of tour - entertaining and educational. Thanks so much Carlos - we will be back with future visitors who come to stay with us in Manila.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank 11dollarbills
Melbourne, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Carlos Celdran and his Manila”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

You could take a walk around Intramuros and take a few pics of Fort Santiago and be on your way thinking "oh well,I've done that" or you could take a three hour tour with Carlos Celdran and be thoroughly entertained and informed by this very enthusiastic guide. Part street theatre, part theology lecture and part slide show it all adds up to Mr Celdrans version of the history of the Philippines and Manila. Carlos leads you around Intramuros whilst portraying several characters who figured heavily in the the shaping of modern Manila. Carlos tells his story with a lot of passion and nationalistic pride which at times may have been a bit strong for some in our group,but if you don't believe in what you do,you can't do a good job. Carlos does a great job. I came away with a better appreciation of the City of Manila. The walking part of the tour does not cover a lot of ground but you do take a Calesa(horse and buggy) ride through city traffic to the last remaining Spanish Cathedral in the city. Be warned that the tour does not end where it started and it does finish after dark during peak hour,so finding a cab home can be an adventure in itself. And at the end you can say to yourself "well I really have do e that".

Visited March 2014
2 Thank philip m
Denver, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Meh. Get a guide book instead”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I found Carlos Celdran to be very knowledgable about the history of Manila, which is a very interesting history. His material is informative, but I found myself distracted by the delivery. I found Carlos' manner to be loud, obnoxious, and irritating, not entertaining, as many here have indicated. Others have said he's opinionated, which is true. I believe his own website says he's melodramatic, which is also true. It was too much for my liking and I was more than ready for the tour to be done after the first hour. There wasn't a great deal of walking in the "walking" tour. We went from one end of Fort Santiago to the other, and spent the majority of tour time in the fort. The only stop outside the fort was San Agustin Church, and we couldn't go inside because of a wedding. Also, it's way overpriced in my opinion, and there are too many people. I would recommend getting a guidebook and a pedicab and seeing intramuros on your own.

Visited February 2014