“Disapointed”

Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
Ranked #3 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I seldom leave reviews unless I am really dissatisfied. Always tried to stay at a Sofitel hotel wherever I'm traveling to. This time, I chose this hotel when I visited Manila. I reserved online and got there by limo, as I did not want to use my usual credit card, I used my new debit card, so when I presented it a check-in I was told that they could not get a pre-authorization like a regular credit card, I would have to prepay the room, so I told them to just use the debit card and they refused, I had to pay in cash which I did. The room was classic, standard type and had a stuffy smell like old carpeting, furniture was sub-standard and dated; the bed was comfortable and the amenities were up to par and oh! the buffet was exceptional and the pool pretty nice. So for the 2 days I was there everything went fine until I invited some friends for lunch by the pool, after eating and enjoying the surroundings I was presented with the bill and I signed it as ALL the other ones (buffet, room service, bar etc.). As we were leaving the restaurant a waiter came up to me and said in front of everybody "sorry sir no credit!" I paid in cash, minus the tip I left behind. I went to the front desk and complained and was told that my credit ran out the night before; I complained - Why wasn't I told the next morning at breakfast? Or like some hotels always do, leave a note under your door? The day of my departure, a typhoon was hitting Manila, I went to the concierge desk and asked to check if my 2 pm flight was still good, he looked in the computer and said "all flights cancelled sir" so I went to the front desk and asked to extend my stay one more night and of course I had to prepay. Back to my room, I saw on tv that most flights for the afternoon were ok, I called my airline at the airport and was told, we never cancelled the flight, it still stands. I rushed to pack my luggage, went downstairs to checkout; the computer system was down, I was told not to worry, they will reimburse the extra stay I paid and email me my bill. As of today after sending 3 emails, I still didn't get refunded or received my bill. I guess no more Sofitel for me. Think before staying there!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
10  Thank jchanzi
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Manila. We would like to express our sincerest apologies to what happened during your recent visit. It is with regret that you experienced certain inconveniences brought about by the series of incidents that happened. Rest assured that we are doing the necessary action and improvements so that this will not happen again to any of our guests.

As there was a typhoon at that time, we experienced certain systems difficulty that affected some of our services and transaction for several days. Our front office team will communicate with you to clarify and settle your billing concern.

On a lighter note, it is a pleasure to know of your appreciation for the bed, amenities, Spiral’s buffet and the pool area.

Again, on behalf of our team, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you better.

Quality Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,045)

Reviewed 31 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Did 3 nights here divided between some exploring of palawan.
outside area was perfect for a day in the sun, hands down the best hotel breakfast i have ever seen!!! good rooms with fantastic beds.

You feel like a rockstar living here :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your stay with Sofitel Manila. It is our aim that our guests will have a magnifique stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed the room, MyBed and especially the breakfast buffet in Spiral.

We hope to welcome you again for another awesome stay.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I should have made this review from the time we did our staycation so the accuracy of my perception would be more defined. I however trust my memory and perception when it comes to being pampered in a hotel. For that pampering part, I think sofitel has failed. On check in, we arrived past 2 so I expected that our check in will be with much ease but no, it did not happen. We queued and waited for our turn and that took us waiting for almost 45 minutes. I tell you that is no fun when youre with little rascals whose bugging you when are they will settle in the room and prepare for their swim. Yes we waited and the front dest was not apologitic about having to waste most of our time waiting for our turn. This same scene happened on check out and again the front desk did care less. I remember my husband booked the hotel for my birthday and particulary told them about the celebration, but unlike other hotels where a complimentary cake will be given, I felt like sofitel did not care anyway. Well it was me and my need to be pampered when I stay in a luxury. Nevertheless, the kids enjoyed their stay. They loved the pool. Sofitel is perfect for a quick getaway, a staycation if only they'd know how to treat their clients well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Berna T
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve by letting us know of your feedback. We value our guests’ feedback.

It is our aim that utmost care is given to all of our guests and that we provide service from the heart. It is with regret that you felt otherwise during those times. Actions were made to improve the check-in and check-out processes. Ambassadors were reminded of the importance of having details such as birthdays or other occasions as this will give us the opportunity to do something special for our guests.

It is our hope that we will be able to welcome you for another staycation for you to experience the service that the Sofitel brand is known for.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I had the opportunity to be booked here for the night and stayed at their special floor which is like members only or executive floor lounge and suites. The rooms here are spacious, elegant and exudes luxury. It even has it's own private lounge where one can have afternoon tea and where breakfast is served overlooking a fantastic view of the cityscape of Metro Manila which includes the bay and urban sprawl. Silence seems to be valued highly in this area as even business men and retirees take their time in eating. The set menu is not as extensive as Spirals but is still fantastic and fresh nonetheless.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Titanium R

Bonjour Mabuhay!

It is a delight to hear that you have enjoyed your stay in our Club Millesime. Not only were you able to enjoy the comforts of the lounge, we are glad to know that you enjoyed the food and the magnificent views of the city and Manila bay as well.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Manila.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Overall hotel quality is very good. Had Wifi connectectivity issues and resolution was not efficient. The Spiral restaurant buffet for breakfast and dinner is overrated. Cafe at the lobby ran out of large cup and instead gave me two small cups since I paid for a large. That is very un five star hotel service. After that, they also ran out of lids!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Confucious88

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Feedbacks from our guests are very important to us, so as to allow areas to improve the quality of our products and services. Thank you for sharing this with us. It is with regret that we fell short of your expectation. The concerns that you have raised were taken note of and shared with the team for action.

We hope to have another opportunity to serve you better.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I booked a weekend overnight stay at Sofitel to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

We stayed at the 5th floor.

All of the staff at Spiral (where we had our lunch), Front Desk, Lobby, Housekeeping, Parking and Pool area were all very nice and warm.

I've been to many hotels but Sofitel is an absolutely beautiful hotel run by the nicest people in the hotel industry.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Bonjour Mabuhay!

On behalf of Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, we would like to extend our joyous greetings on your wedding anniversary. It is always a pleasure to receive kind words of appreciation for our ambassadors who have made your stay a memorable one. Thank you for recognizing our ambassadors from Spiral, Front Desk, Lobby, Housekeeping, Parking and Pool areas.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Quality Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manila
Malate
Hotel H2O
#11 of 110 in Manila
Conrad Manila
#3 of 34 in Pasay

Been to Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila? Share your experiences!