“Disappointed to suite, what happened to service and benefits?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila

Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Helsinki, Finland
“Disappointed to suite, what happened to service and benefits?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

My partner and I have are regular guests at Sofitel Manila since the hotel has became one of our favorites. Our latest stay was, however, disappointing.
During previous stays, we have always had the lovely Club Millesime room. This time, we wanted to try something even better and booked Sofitel suite with an access to the Club Millesime lounge. The suite really wasn’t that good. Actually, it was worse than Club Millesime rooms. Suite rate was, of course, higher but we felt Club Millesime rooms offers better value.
There are few good things when living in a suite. It’s located in the corner of building and is big: 84 square meters in size with separated living room and bedroom. The suite comes with magnificent views to both bay and city.
Then a little bit whining – for a reason.
1. We had booked an airport pick up. We ordered a normal car but received a van – for two! The driver did have neither cold water nor wet towels to give us. Before, we have always gotten both water and towels when using Sofitel Manila’s and other Sofitel’s cars to and from airport.
2. I had informed our arrival time ahead (because of the airport pick up and because hotel asked about it) but our personal butler (one of the suite benefits) wasn’t waiting for us in the entrance when we arrived. Later, he was running after us and calling our name when we’re entering an elevator. Is this what Sofitel Manila call first class service?
3. The butler didn’t recognize in any way our loyalty to this hotel nor Sofitel brand in general even though we have spent tens of nights here. As Le Club Gold members, we are also entitled to have welcome drink vouchers. The butler didn’t offer them before I reminded. Proactive attitude was gone.
4. We arrived at the hotel just after cocktail hour and evening snack service in the lounge had ended. I asked our butler if there was still something left and would it be possible to get something since we had late arrival and we were too tired to have a restaurant dinner after a long day of traveling. This was too much for him. He said there’s anything he can do. Then he left our room. After this we didn’t see him during our stay.
5. A welcome letter from a GM was missing in our suite. Previous times in Club Millesime rooms we have had that. It’s a nice touch.
6. We didn’t even get the welcome gift (also part of Le Club benefits). Earlier times in Club Millesime rooms, we have been surprised with local mango liquor. Why not in a more expensive suite?
7. Sofitel’s signature My Bed wasn’t as smooth as it is in Club Millesime rooms. That was a bit weird. Maybe the bed was just too old.
8. Suite’s decoration is similar than in luxury rooms and all furniture were tired. Club Millesime rooms feels more luxurious.
9. No separate shower and bathtub in bathroom, only bathtub and broken tiles. Club Millesime rooms, again, has both walking shower and tub.
10. The one who staying in suite only seems paying for bigger space. Otherwise, it’s almost similar than a way inexpensive luxury room, the second cheapest room category in this hotel.
After this experience we will consider other options for our hotel when we next time are in Manila. We are already planning our next trip to the Philippines. Maybe we should try now something else, Fairmont Makati perhaps? Peninsula and Shangri-La we have already tried before we found Sofitel.
PS. Sofitel Manila’s Club Millesime is the best ever club lounge anywhere, and they have great staff there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelboysc
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Manila. It is with regret that we were not able to meet your expectations of our service during that time. We value your feedback as this will help us improve our products and services.

We noticed that you are used to our Club Millesime rooms but this time around last May 2014 you tried one of our suite rooms. Look and feel may be quite different from our usual Club Millesime rooms. We would like to sincerely apologize for the disappointment felt brought about those incidents that you have mentioned in your review. Rest assured that we are doing necessary action so that this will not happen again. The department concern has been made aware of your comments for their attention.

There is no reason why you were not provided with an excellent service. Again, we sincerely apologized. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you better.

Quality Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singaore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Overall an ok place but not cheap would I go back ? Don't think so due to price However girl who works beside the pool bar called princess is one of the best attendants of all time in
my experience .sports bar is good entertainment at night time.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, 12 August 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We would like to thank you for recognizing our ambassadors especially by the pool, Princess as one of the best attendants who have served you. She will definitely be inspired and all our ambassadors to continuously provide an excellent service to all our guests. You mentioned that your stay was overall okay but you have a concern with the price. We trust that the experience was worth it.

It is our hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed here for two nights as our weekend was full of activities and checking in a hotel made sense. As we entered the lobby we were greeted by warm and welcoming staff. Ladies with trays and drinks would come up to guests who are checking in and offer refereshing beverages. I felt very welcomed but noticed that there were too many staff on the floor because aside from the ladies carrying the drinks there were also ladies in traditional filipinianas and some in sports attire which i did not understand for what. Check in was not too long and we were able to get a room. The room was very clean and organized and amenities were complete. For breakfast we had it in spirals and it was amazing! So many choices and and service was great! I liked how some of the staff were carryong trays of sample food and drinks and there was even Taho roaming around! Overall, our stay was great and i hope they keep it up!

Stayed July 2014
Thank Patricia R. N

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We are pleased to know that you had a relaxing weekend stay at Sofitel Manila. We always ensure that we welcome our guest warmly and that they will feel relax staying with us. It’s great to hear that you find the room clean, organized, the amenities complete and that you had an amazing breakfast in our Spiral restaurant. Thank you for recognizing and appreciating our efforts to continuously provide an excellent product and service.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you again for another relaxing weekend stay!

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

If you are in Manila, and looking for a place to stay that's well situated to Mall of Asia (10 mins walk) /Airport (15-20 mins drive) /Edsa Entertainment (15 mins in a taxi) - look no further.

My two negatives are the tired looking rooms, and frankly, the double glazing needs sorting, as it is not at all quiet - with aircraft noise and motorbikes waking you up occasionally - BUT as I paid £60 for a room and with a huge sea side pool, spa's, 24 hour bar, probably the best Buffet dinner I've ever experienced and some of the best service you will come across - this was simply a bargain.

(Oh, and well done to the girls that danced around the entrance last Saturday - you put a smile on every ones faces)

See you again soon!

Room Tip: I was in 922 - it was noisy - both floor above and outside!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MrB1967
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, 8 August 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Manila. It is a pleasure to know that you spent your money's worth by experiencing our room, lagoon-shaped swimming pool, Le Spa, Snaps Bar and our buffet restaurant, Spiral. Our ambassadors will be delighted to know that you consider our buffet dinner and the service as the best that you have experienced.

We appreciate the review that you have made in TripAdvisor. Your comments regarding condition of the room and the noise have been duly noted.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again soon!

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

check-in staff offered to upgrade my room for an additional fee and I refused. superior room looks old, no bath tub. fairly clean but nothing special. There were many breakfast options in the spiral but not much that I can eat as much less choice for halal food. The pool attendant was very friendly. I think the hotel should increase the frequency of the free shuttle to the mall of asia

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank ariasarlito
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, 7 August 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Sofitel Manila to the TripAdvisor community. It is a delight that you appreciated our pool attendant being friendly. I will share your comments to all the team members so we can look into ways to improve our products and services especially regarding the halal food items and the shuttle going to Mall of Asia.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you again.

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Sofitel Manila is truly one of the most unique hotel experiences you will get in Manila. It is situated right beside the world famous Manila bay and is one of only two (Sofitel and Edsa Shangri-la) resort hotels in the capital. You can swim in one of the city's largest pools or choose to water slide in one of the two that surround the pool. You can enjoy the sunset on the many hammocks facing the bay or have cocktails while sitting in one of the large bean bags lined up on top of the poolside.

If all these activities make you hungry, you're in luck because located next to the pool is Spirals restaurant with arguably the best buffet in town. Here you will find endless cooking stations serving excellent international food from French, Japanese, Chinese, Filipino and so much more. It is also a carnivore's dream with a wide variety of meats, sausages and more. My family's favorite is the cheese and tapas room where you will find the very friendly Chef Jen who took the time to explain all the great cheeses and more importantly entertained my son throughout the evening.

Unfortunately, while the facilities of this hotel are undoubtedly world class, the customer service and guest interaction leaves much to be desired. Checking in was a painful ordeal wherein the lady was not sure of what offerings were available. She insisted that I couldn't change my reservation even if the reservation agent who booked my stay assured me otherwise. She actually called the reservation agent to check if I was telling the truth. Wow!!!
The next day after checking out, I actually had to talk to the same girl to get a car pass and to my surprise she asked me if I was checked in? This in spite of the 30 or so minutes I spent together with her checking in less than 24 hours ago. After reminding her that it was me, she actually apologized and said that they check in too many people that they don't remember. Double wow!!!

For the price and stature of this hotel, I would have thought that a more personalized service was in order. They should invest more on training their front liners who are the first and last impression of guests. After all in similar hotels like the Shangri-la group, Peninsula and even the Mandarin, they not only remember me by name but also remember little things like my favorite drink or room preference. Although I do not agree with the current "boycott Sofitel" movement, I do think that they need to rethink their customer service. Thank God for Spirals which is definitely this hotel's saving grace.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We would like to thank you for staying with Sofitel Manila. It is a delight that you have enjoyed Treasure Island with its lagoon-shaped pool facing the magnificent Manila bay sunset. It’s one of the unique features of this hotel that would make one feel relax like you were in a resort. Our Spiral restaurant with its 21 dining ateliers has a wide spread of different cuisines that our Chefs prepared. Chef Jen will be inspired knowing that you have recognized and appreciated her service.

Your feedback is very valuable to us as this gives us the opportunity to improve the quality of our service. It is with regret that you had an unpleasant experience with one of our Front Office agent. We will remind and train our ambassadors of our procedure and ensure that this will not happen again to any of our guests. If it’s not too much, I would like to know who the ambassador was or details of your stay so that we can trace back who process your check-in and check-out. You may communicate directly with me thru H6308-GM5@sofitel.com.

Hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back and let you experience the service that the Sofitel brand is known for.