“Impressive!”
Review of Pan Pacific Manila

Pan Pacific Manila
Ranked #2 of 111 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed 25 August 2009

My family and I stayed here for 2 nights and I only have the nicest things to say. The facilities and amenities exceeded my expectations but nothing can beat the warmth and friendliness of the staff. They have their way of making you feel important . I would like to make special mention to Ms. Hilda Balais,Guest Relations Officer, who handled our reservation and arrival with utmost efficiency. She really made sure that we would have everything we wanted with all the comfort but not compromising our pockets. She even went all the way to make my husband's birthday a truly memorable one by orchestrating a surprise with the staff of the Pacific lounge. The thoughtful gesture made us all teary-eyed. This hotel is by far the best!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank richndjaq
Write a ReviewReviews (1,392)

Reviewed 24 August 2009

I love the Pan Pacific.. I should be honest, I dont stay in many GENUINE 5 star hotels, so some things were new and exciting for me and other business travellers may find them quite normal. Also, I was on work and work paid and I didnt even look at a bill, so I cant really comment on prices, but here goes:

the rooms are large, with free Internet all the tv channels you could need, tea and coffee making etc. Nice big bathroom with a proper bath as well as a really nice shower.

The staff fall over themselves to be helpful and as in most of Manila there are LOADS of them. it seems like every member of staff has an assistant to help them, doubling your chances of getting what you need. I have a white Mac Book and it was really dirty after my travels. I mentioned it to the room service guy when he came to 'turn down' my bed and 5 mins later he came back with a towel and alcohol spray to wipe it down!

I love the turn down service.. Ive had it before, but here they leave little treats by the bed and their skills with bed sheet are like watching an Origami expert in action - I didnt want to mess it up!

The food is great. OK, its hotel food and not exactly michelin starred, but it tastes good, the portions are decent and there is lots of choice. The Sushi restaurant downstairs is lovely. But the highlight has to be the buffet breakfast.. It's HUGE.. let me try to give you an image: sushi from Japan, currys from India, bacon and eggs, an omlette station where you choose ingredients and they make it for you, pancakes, every kind of fruit under the sun, a daily roast (I know it doesnt sound right at breakfast but as a big time carnivore I loved this), choice of teas (including Lady Grey, which you dont find often!), juices, cereals.. I could go on.

Then there's the view! The restaurant is on the top floor of the hotel and you can see all of Manila.

Even though it was a large hotel, I felt like they knew me and were looking out for me, which is nice because in some places your just a number.

The area isnt great, but Im not fancy. I loved getting on the metro and exploring the city. The big shopping centre nearby is a good start. On the street outside there are lots of 'touts'.. theyre not bad guys. I got drunk one night with a few of them in a cheap local bar and they paid for themselves and didnt try to make me buy anything. I went with one of their friends to a shooting range where I could shoot all kinds of handguns for a reasonable price.. For someone from the UK, this is a real treat! Of course many business travellers wont mind the location as its near the red light district, but if you turn left instead of right out the door you dont need to see that!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank rastadaddy
Reviewed 15 July 2009

Stayed at Pan Pacific Manila June 2009 and had a wonderful experience. The local area was full of night life, shopping, restaurants and just sightseeing. From the moment you pass through the front door, someone is at your side to assist you in any way. Our reservations were let's say, last minute on Travelocity due to making the mistake of booking a room at a "Waterfront Casino Resort" only a couple miles away. We took one look at the rooms and checked out, then headed straight for Pan Pacific where the rooms were spotless, well appointed, and quite beautiful. The bed was perfectly firm for a great night sleep.
I'm an odd traveler, so the fact there was a mall just a block away was great news to me. I so enjoy touring the appliance stores to see what we in the US are missing out on. The mall is a great opportunity to meet strangers for great conversation. Anyway, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Pan Pacific and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IRTravlin
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We stayed for 2 nites in June and 1 nite in July (and 2 nites in 2008). From the check-in to the check-out, we food this to be the best hotel in Manila (out of 15 other 4 and 5-star hotels in Makati and Malate).
Their rooms are luxurious with super views and extremely comfortable beds.
Their staff is incredibly helpful (candles for romance, pens/paper for notes, storing extra luggage for 2 weeks).
Their breakfast buffet is the best I've ever had and includes over 25 stations. (Hint: wireless internet available for free in restaurant; otherwise about $10/day.)
Their prices are very good at $100/nite for 5-star hotel.
Their pool is clean and family friendly (shallow).
Their security is very high (cars checked; detector at front door; elevators only work with your key card).
They have other amenites too (several restaurants on lobby level, spa, gift shop, bar, etc).
We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sbentley1
Reviewed 3 July 2009

Very friendly and kind staff. Great breakfast buffet on top floor and nice view of the city. Rooms are very clean and quite spacious. I found it to be a good value especially if you compare what other more common hotels are charging in the area. Two thumbs up.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank cjngiti
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Stayed beginning of June after reading recommendations from Trip Advisor. I was actually even more impressed once I got there. Book online on their website 30 days before to get their best rate!

The only thing I did not like was how they tried to rip me off once I checked in. I had already been charged online as that's one of the requirements to pre-book. When I had got there, they said they needed to take a deposit worth my stay because they thought I hadn't already paid for the room. They then double checked and apolagized and mentioned they still need to take a security deposit. That was understandable. I then inquired about parking. We had 2 cars. They told me, it was an extra fee for the second car. But then I had to fight back again because I had booked 2 rooms! Which didn't make any sense. It should be 1 car per room right? They apolagized again! I did not appreciate them trying to rip me off!

If breakfast isn't included with your room, I would recommend going once just to try it out. The buffet upstairs is really pricy! We ate there once, and that was it. Never ate there again. But I must admit, it was the best breakfast buffet I've ever had. Ommelet bar, waffle station, dim sum, sushi, lunch and the usual breakfast stuff. There's restaurants in the other side of the lobby which are a bit cheaper. Might as well go to Robinson's and find breakfast there.

The butlers were very nice and friendly. Only one number away. They will bring you whatever you want whenever you want. Try calling them and asking what the weather is. It's pretty funny - especially if you're used to knowing what the temperature is. Every night they put snacks on your table, which were really delicious.

The mall is also pretty close by. About 5 minutes walking distance. But remember to be careful when crossing the roads as the cars seem as like they don't care for you.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank veebz
Reviewed 27 May 2009

The hotel was very clean and the staff were always so happy to help with anything asked for. The pool is top notch with an excellent butler service on hand for your every possible need. I thought the gym was not up to standard and the equipment was often broken. The room had only one double bed when i asked for 2 as was staying with a friend, but in the end it didn't spoil the stay. I like this hotel very much and will stay there again next time. The area is ok for singles and couples and has actually been cleaned up since 2007. Great in-room massage too, they no longer offer the 'extras' so it's now suitable for all.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends