“nostalgic but needs facelift”
Review of The Manila Hotel

The Manila Hotel
Ranked #5 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed 16 April 2012

check-in: quick and efficient, but didn't get the welcome drinks they promised.
lobby: spacious with choir or folk music playing
room: stayed in the twin deluxe. The beds were more single than twin with not enough space to move around; mattresses were a bit on the hard side and not comfy. The pillows were soft though. Bed linen changed daily. Separate shower, toilet and bath. AC works fine. Big flat screen tv in the main bedroom and small flat tv in the wall of the tub which my son enjoyed. Complimentary 2 bottles of water daily. Toiletries ok, replenished daily. Minibar-nonexistent and they even promised free soda with our package but we never got them! Free internet access! Bedroom fixtures need an upgrade even though they are going for the historical theme.
pool: adequate sized and kid friendly. open till 10 pm.
gym: very good and up to date equipment open till midnight.
food: great variety, but I've tasted better.
staff: polite, courteous, helpful

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank aeg1217

Reviewed 16 April 2012

our family stayed for a night in Manila hotel, we had dinner in Cafe Ylang Ylang, the food were diverse and the kids enjoyed the vast array of desserts ,the pool side have a view of the world famous "Manila Bay Sunset" and the gym are well equipped with a jacuzzi.Love the bathroom amenities by L'Occitane and with all the old world charm of the room ,beds were made of narra, with fluffy pillows we indeed had a relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mtc_12
Reviewed 7 April 2012

The highs of this hotel include: a great buffet breakfast, fantastic gym/ fitness centre, good concierge and pleasant staff.

The lows: poor pool area which is too small/ crowded, sundeck is shabby and service in the lobby coffee area is inconsistent.

This is a pleasant hotel but certainly not 5*. Both decor and service could and should be more slick.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank p0rtia
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We spent two nights in a deluxe room at a surprisingly good rate through DHR with breakfast included. I loved everything about this hotel. The room is a little tired, though spacious, overlooked the bay and the decor did not appeal. We spent very little time in the room. It is the foyer, the swimming pool and restaurant that make this hotel. There was a choir singing, people enjoy high tea, a wedding in the banquet room. This place is fascinating, you could people watch all day. It has that special feel that makes a great hotel. Outstanding buffet dinner and breakfasts. Left very satisfied.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Willkeeptravelling
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Just for reminiscing the past, we had coffee and tea on the lobby cafe. I find it overpriced though they gave complimentary cookies for the drinks we ordered. A cup of brewed coffee is about 150 or 180pesos. I ordered mango juice and the lady asked if a want the bottled or real fruit. I got the bottled for around 150pesos and it tasted like the concentrated mango juice i always buy in the supermarket. Not satisfied with the food but at least the ambiance is great with matching pianist at the background. I also tried the croissants sold at the bakeshop (also at the lobby) ...price okay, tastes ordinary.

NB: my son says meals served in their Champagne Room is the best and don't forget to try their buffets - the produce are fresh and they use original Angus beef for their steaks and bbq.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank rossManila
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I visited the lovely Manila hotel in August and September of 2011. This was my first trip to the Philippines, so I really had no idea what to expect, other than what I had read online.

I have no hotels in Manila to compare this to, but what I can say is that this hotel was pure class. The lobby itself is grand and impressive. I loved the Philippine flags, the high ceilings and beautiful artwork. What really made an impression on me was the the music! There was often a pianist in the lobby playing beautiful music. I will never forget the evening where there was an orchestra, and we were serenaded by the most talented violinist. It was amazing.

The rooms were great. All of the amenities of home, and FREE Internet access, which was great.

We had massages two separate days because they were so wonderful. Best massage I have ever had - hands down!

There were many options at the breakfast buffet and we had fun trying all of the different foods.

Great stay at the Manila Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank HappyTraveler8282
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The hotel is an icon of the city, not only because of its name but its history. I stayed here with my brothers (we had a gift check) overnight and we were thrilled with our experience. The hotel's facade may be dull and dated, but the interiors and staff service make up tenfold for this.
The lobby is grand and very classical Filipino. We were welcomed with a pianist playing and throughout the day, the musicians changed. By dinner time there was a quintet playing.
I believe they are in the process of renovating and we were placed on the 14th floor which had new rooms. Ours had a view of the shipping port and of Manila bay which was nice. The rooms were a decent size but the beds were tiny, and the four pillows were a bit of an overkill.
We ordered room service for late lunch and it was delicious. The shrimp in my pesto pasta was absolutely perfect. The prices aren't bad for a 5-star hotel.
We also checked out the pool, which was a bit small. However, there is a lot of space for sunbathing and lounging by the pool.
The service was excellent and the staff were quick to respond to our requests for extra bottled water and to replace the bathroom TV remote (yes, there is a TV in the bathroom, over the tub).
I would love to stay at the hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room with a view