“year-end countdown”

Ranked #5 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Las Pinas, Philippines
“year-end countdown”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We spend our year-end countdown in this hotel. It was not our first time to spend year-end party here, we kept coming back! The party is awesome.Again, the lobby looks really great! I think one of the best looking hotel lobby in the Philippines. We stayed in the Aguinaldo Suite. I was surprised that it is one of the rooms that was not renovated (yet)! The room is not well lighted, only lampshades. And there is no balcony,only windows. Last year, I was impressed with our room, there is a flat screen tv on the bathroom. I will still give a high rating notwithstanding the minor inconveniences we had. Overall, this is one the best hotels in Asia.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Shanghai
Reviewed 31 December 2013

This hotel has history and you feel it as soon as you walk into the lobby. Rooms have been renovated so there is a modern feel once you are in your own cocoon. Decent gym and spa including in-room massage. Nice buffet for breakfast. Close to Intramuros and Rizal Park.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My Filipina companion and I stayed at the Manila Hotel on 2 separate occasions during a 3 week period, for 3 and 2 nights respectively for each stay. This is a lovely and historic hotel, and my friend was so proud to see the traditional architecture and furnishings of the Philippines on such fine display for visitors to Manila. The breakfast and dinner buffets are spectacular, tasty, and not-to-be-missed. The service from the staff is both gracious and attentive.

I would give this hotel 5 stars, except for some quirky and comic experiences. Frist, when my friend and I asked the doorman for a cab, he told us to sit in the lobby, that there were 6 people ahead of us, and it would be about 30 minutes. Astonished, we walked down the 30 foot driveway to the main road where a guard obtained for us a cab in about 30 seconds by hailing a cab from the highway. From that day forward, we followed this procedure and never had a problem with getting a cab quickly at the Manila Hotel.

Second, one evening we went to the dinner buffet and we were told that we could not be seated because we did not have a prior reservation. I laughed in the face on the hostess, because the spacious, multi-room restaurant behind her was only, at best, 25% full. I told her that we were guests at the hotel and we wanted to be seated. Another staff member hurried up to us and offered to seat us. We were in the restaurant for over an hour, and it was never more than 50% occupied, so I will never understand what that was all about.

Third, we booked a full body massage and foot massage at the hotel's spa, which were first class and excellent. However, we were told we could not have facials because a certain product was on order for over 6 weeks from Germany and there could be no facials without this mysterious and unidentified product. I found this to be disappointing and not worthy of a spa located at a fine hotel like the Manila Hotel.

Fourth, on our second stay, housekeeping could not seem to get it right. The top sheet on the bed was stained and there were crumbs on the rug when we checked in, and the clock radio was broken. When we called housekeeping, they responded immediately and were extremely apologetic. I don't want to be hypercritical, but I was disappointed in the condition of the room during our second stay at this beautiful hotel.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again. It is lovely and worthy of the rave reviews it has received on this site.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Deborah362
Bogor, Jawa Barat, Indonesia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Beautiful hotel with lovely staff and charming interiors, beautiful wooden furnitured rooms, and probably the best breakfast buffet out there! A winner and must go, at least for high tea in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sophia M
Manila, Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I frequent stay here because of practical reason 1) hotel is been renovated like 3 or four year ago and still being well maintain 2) amazing facility like gym, spa and pool 3) reasonable price. Recently stay to spend xmas eve with my wife, the lobby was well design with xmas decor ... check in was quick despite the number guest at the check in counter, assign us to a room facing the city, king size bed which we requested at a non smoking floor. Room here are very spacious with complete amenities, room are clean and still well maintain, still there are few glitches such the wifi connection was a bit slow and the it took a while for air condition to cool the room, we didn't bother to visit the gym and the pool knowing that the number of guest will be using them, so we decided to stay in our room for sleep and relax.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tourbear
Philippines
Reviewed 24 December 2013

we stayed in this hotel and we consider this as one of the best hotels in the philippines. The rooms are nice and their bathrooms are great! The hotel staff are friendly and helpful, too. The food is delicious.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank josh_rex
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I like Manila Hotel...the feel of the place, the location, the service. There was one thing that irked me though. After attending a banquet service last December 8, a waiter handed me a banquet evaluation form with a pen. Few minutes after, he came back to collect the evaluation form. I said I will submit the form myself. He explained that it is their procedure to collect the form on the day itself and to them so they can submit it to their manager. I explained that no evaluation form is submitted to the the same persons being evaluated. By this time, some members of our group were already complaining to the banquet service team about the questionable service we received that night. Perhaps sensing our bad report, they wanted to keep the evaluation to themselves. in fact, the same waiter when asking for the form back said, "hindi pwedeng makalabas ang form." I decided to give the form to the assistant manager on duty at his desk on the lobby. If he had done his job and submitted the form dutifully or kept the form, I do not know. I'm not writing complaints about the service here because we did encounter nice service while at Cafe Ilang Ilang especially this guy named Julio. We did have to bear with "the face" of another waiter when we cancelled a breakfast order a minute after he punched them. So it's hard to comment on the service as it is very different and inconsistent, but this one thing really bothers me...the transparency and openness on how they handle customer evaluation, which is very important in ensuring good consistent service.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family