“Where's the Aha Moment?”
Review of The Manila Hotel

The Manila Hotel
Ranked #5 of 108 Hotels in Manila
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
“Where's the Aha Moment?”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I'm one very disappointed visitor having endured a long flight, and finally having the chance to see and experience this place left me literally mortified. Being a national landmark, this place lacks luster big time.

Security was tight, even bags are x-rayed and monitored. Lobby is nice. Service is poor, actually no customer service at all! Do all that work here government employees? Because that's what I felt! No hi's no hello's, even agent offered no smile at all and wasn't listening.

Elevator is downtrodden with dust, hallway is dark and my room dingy. Bed runners were kept under the TV, stains on the sheets, hair all over the place, bathroom was leaking, shower nobs loose, mirrors were spotted with stains etc...

I did not sleep at all! How embarrassing! I'm one nice reviewer here, and by no means take things personally but come'on this place is a horror!

Sorry, this place ranks the worst hotel I've been to. Underserving of 5 stars, actually 2 stars ;(

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Kewihiku

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I first stayed at the Manila Hotel almost ten years ago, for several weeks -- at a time when it had become a bit run down, even though it was still rather gorgeous. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay then, and the service was impeccable. This time, almost a decade later, I found the hotel refurbished, the rooms even more comfortable (the bed in my room was one of the best I've ever slept on at any hotel anywhere) and the service -- despite the demands of a huge number of guests who were there for a two-week convention -- above reproach.

Yet, I found myself noticing a few things which at other hotels one might not usually observe, but given the air of perfection about the Manila Hotel stood out a bit this time around. The little cafe area outside the pub/bar could do with a more imaginative aesthetic -- yes, it's a casual space, but the screen that separates it from the main lobby is a plank of wood that needs to be polished better -- the current look is rough. The breakfast buffet is absurdly busy -- I don't know if there is a way to better balance the number of guests and the rush that ensues with a more spacious layout and seating arrangement, but the breakfast environment is frankly not all that pleasant -- even though the food itself is very good. And, in my particular case, the hotel made a mess of the billing process -- insisting, without having notified me earlier, that because I had planned to stay for a couple of months, I would have to pay the entire amount up front rather than the reasonable deposit of a couple of weeks that is usually done. I made my surprise and displeasure felt and heard via my office travel desk, and the hotel immediately reversed the charge they'd made on my credit card (without having even asked me for my permission in the first place) -- but this did sour my mood, even though the hotel management did apologize.

I would definitely return to the Manila Hotel on a future trip -- it does a great job -- but, as I found out when I switched to the Pan Pacific Hotel (in Malate), the Manila Hotel is not the only game in town. My Pan Pacific experience has been perhaps even more enjoyable -- more of which in a separate review after my current stay there comes to an end.

Room Tip: A higher floor, facing Rizal Park or the Manila Bay.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Just spent there 5 nights and had an international conference there. This was the only reason for me to stay there. Usually I stay in Makati.
I didn't expect much, but was surprised. The service is very good everywhere, breakfast is the widest and richest I have ever seen, the pool is big and nice, lobby + bar look like an old, but well maintain palace. In this hotel you would expect the room to be old fashion, but, it is new, clean and with all the facilities you need + a water resist TV and remote control at the bathroom.
Maybe check in and out can be a bit more effective and faster, but, we are talking about minutes here and there, that do not affect the whole good and pleasant stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Great hotel. Fantastic staff. Lovely grounds. Well maintained room. Near historic tourist destinations. A buffet that never ends. The internet had its moments with poor speeds but other than that all was perfect, including a very reasonable price. A did not have time to visit the McArthur suite (preserved in time working office of General McArthur) but hope to do so on a future visit.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Godalming, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed here one night last weekend on business. Check in was chaotic, but in fairness there was a wedding and a prom evening all together in the lobby, so fair enough.
The hotel was started in 1912 and
the lobby reflected this, glorious high beamed ceiling, my expectations were highish.
The quiet room selected on the 17th floor was just that, and looked great when I opened the door, including bowl of inviting fruit and free water.
There were no double beds left so I was happy with a single bed, but it was quite hard and not very comfortable.
But the skirting boards all around we're not clean and dusted , and the carpet a bit weary and not cleaned all around the edges, and it made me question how clean the rest was. The loo had a patched plastic bit on the base at the back, stuck on with tape, which had fallen off, and the loo seat was a cheap one.
The sliding wooden window screen looked nice, but one had come off the runners and if you wanted the view, you had to reattach it every time.
Room service was prompt, but the meal very disappointing at 7.30pm, looked and tasted 'stewed' and poor presentation.
Breakfast was buffet and quite ok if you could locate the various items, but it had a chaotic feel about it

Overall I would not stay here again, the hotel was tiredl Most of the guests were Philippinos and it is clearly a very popular hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper storey room as noisy downstairs
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank pippabray
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I offered a stay in a sunset suite for 2 nights as a Xmas gift to my mum. She was delighted! Everybody was really attentioned, the suites have been recently refurbished with all the nicest equipment and connectivity. The view on Manila Bay was fantastic and in some places, you really have the feeling to live in another century in this place filled with history (hemingway bar, lobby,...)

Service and customer care were always first class with a smile!

Room Tip: Sunset suite have a nice view on sunset on Manila Bay. View is beter from Sofitel though!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My first visit to this magnificent hotel was over 30 years ago and finances prevented me from staying longer (or even eating there). I vowed that upon my next visit (a bit like Douglas MacArthur once said) I would return. The fabulous Manila Hotel did not disappoint. The cavernous lobby was festooned with Chinese New Year decorations and the hotel was gleaming. Our room overlooked Manila Bay- still grimy but a very pleasant sunset. Breakfast was stunning with many stations set up catering to all tastes. We do recommend the hotel tour of The Macarthur and Presidential Suites. Whist there are many more gleaming 5 star hotels in Manila to tempt the traveller, the Manila Hotel is in a class of it’s own. I will be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends