“Staying at the Grand Manila Hotel for the first time!”
Review of The Manila Hotel

The Manila Hotel
Ranked #5 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Manila, Manila, Philippines
“Staying at the Grand Manila Hotel for the first time!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Recently chanced upon a promo rate for a Manila Hotel room on their website. it says that for 3,800 Philippine peso a night, you get an overnight stay with breakfast for two! I couldn't believe my eyes and immediately booked a room for a stay cation with my son before school opens..

And we were not disappointed! I was half expecting a catch somewhere, but apparently I was just being paranoid...check in went without a hitch. I was initially given a room on the sixth floor where you see a golf course out from the window, but upon hearing maintenance work going on somewhere, we were moved to the 13th floor! this time room was facing the ocean, and to our right, the port area...it was wonderful in the dusk as you get to witness the sunset from your room but early morning, the mist from the ocean is sprayed all over the window panes that it is hard to discern if it's raining or not...

breakfast was complete, but not truly spectacular...sort of like just what one would have at home, but not all at the same time. There were an assortment of meats like Canadian ham, sausages and bacon, but the bacon was tough, not crunchy as it should be. Garlic rice was too dry and hard on the stomach. The arroz caldo or chicken congee was flavorful, but a bit too watery. Would have been better if it was a bit thicker....more filling that way.

The blueberry Danish was good though. And there was a very delicate Taho or soybean curd which is a must try...complete with the sweet molasses syrup and small pearl like sago

Only sad part is that service in Cafe Ylang Ylang that morning not as good...
Somebody did give us coffee but no milk to pour as small container was empty. Packet of brown sugars were also used up by previous diners but not replenished.

Table was not even setup properly as my cover had no utensils...due to lack of service personnel, I had to ask my son to get utensils from the other table for me..a waiter saw us do this from the corner of his eye but did not bother coming to ask if we need anything else....

Person manning the eggs station intentionally turned his back to us as he saw me approach. Probably crossing his fingers for me to take the cooked eggs drying out under the bright spotlight. So I had to talk to him even as his back was towards me...to which he turned around and cooked my request with a forced smile...

Pool was okay and we had the whole place to ourselves that morning."..that was fun.

overall, it was okay, price was unbeatable, but the overwhelming lobby and front desk people should trade places with the resto staff. The former were too fussy while the latter were ignoring people outright.

King size bed was also a plus for us....other hotels seem to stop at a queen....

Overall, this is a great value hotel. But the resto staff are a bit tired and too comfortable, except for the lobby people and the room attendants, who were very cheerful and helpful.

Room Tip: Left side rooms overlook manila bay while right side rooms overlook the Intramuros golf course..take...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jennifer C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Iligan, Philippines
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Seriously...You cannot beat this hotel in any way possible. From the moment I walked in, I thought I was on a Hollywood movie set, then started thinking that I was in "a rich man's hotel". I was completely overwhelmed by the early-20th century clothing that everyone wore, and I thought to myself that this was the classiest place that I had ever seen.

Hospitality...This place has more hospitality just getting through the front door than most hotels show in a year. Everyone is smiling and seems to be having a good time...and they WORK there! No matter where I walked, everyone greeted me with an honest, warm invitation that put me completely at ease.

Value...Priced in the $60-$120 range, you will never get better than this. The rooms were perfectly spotless in all areas...and I'm an Army Infantryman, so we KNOW what spotless should be looking like. A free breakfast was included, and we're not talking about the crappy "continental breakfast" that tastes like a cardboard box that you normally get in most U.S. hotels. We are talking about REAL food, American, Filipino, French, and more. My God, it was a glimpse of Heaven itself.

If you're staying in Manila, don't go anywhere else. Go to the Manila Hotel. This place is fantastic.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank armygruntjoe
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This was the great grand hotel in this part of the world - think Raffles, Peninsula, except in price - and it still is. Not only architecturally, but also in service and amenities. It's not a Sofitel, W, or Shangri-La, but for some of us that's a plus, not a minus. Yes, there are several glitches and issues, but that happens absolutely everywhere (show me a hotel where it doesn't), and in no way does that distract from the luxury level. The lobby is not only impressive, but really very nice; it may be crowded by Chinese tourists slurping noodles these days, but this is no fault of the hotel, but a result of how the world turns. (They probably earn better than you do.)

I had a great upscale room in fabulous colonial-filipino design (no, friends, this is not 1980s style, it's 1910s style!) with a great view and sliding gazebo doors over Manila Bay and the famous sunset. The window wasn't always polished and there often was entertainment noise or noise from festivals at the next-door Ocean Park, but that's how it is. Great kingsize bed with good linens and pillows. Plenty of closet space. I would have preferred parquet over carpet, but the carpet was fine.

Good bathroom. Walk-in large shower with excellent rough stone floor. Semi-Japanese toilet (i.e. bidet function). Nice condiments, but hardly ever replenished; towel service a bit sketchy, but one can always ask. Turndown service with renewal of used towels etc. Normal service sometimes a bit tardy.

Location - some people here complain because it is not close by where they want to go. Well, then get a hotel next to your destination! In Manila, if you have several ones, you always need a cab, and yes traffic isn't great. But that's so for every hotel. The Manila Hotel is in easy walking distance to both Rizal Park (which is grand) and Intramuros; safe and convenient. There is a free shuttle bus to several museums and malls (don't ask me why one would want to go to the latter, but apparently many people like those); not a very tidy car, but heck, it's a freebie. Overpriced (normal) but good and convenient airport transfer.

Good room service, reasonably priced. The breakfast is very good - not excellent like in KL say or the big Indian restaurants, but on par with Western top hotels. Great gym, nice locker and jacuzzi area; the pool is okay without being spectacular, as I like to swim laps, rather than hang out at the pool bar, but that's just me. Staff was always friendly; not always seasoned and super competent, but so what, I do not expect that, nor do I regard "well-trained" as an appropriate concept for non-dogs.

Beyond the details, this is a hotel I was always happy to come "home to" - and the life quality in the room was very nice. Not only would I always return here when in Manila (and I saw some of the more modern competitors), but a Manila stopover or brief visit is actually more likely because one can stay at the Manila Hotel.

Room Tip: Insist on a high-up room facing the Bay. I think semi-suites are too expensive and the basic rooms...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Aethelred
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 26 June 2014

since then MANILA HOTEL still a HOME SWEET HOME Hotel if you are on VACATION n Manila Philippines as a GUEST (2014 May) staying @ 15th Floor "Executive Room" w/ Gen. Douglas MacArthur Lounge Club and a Prestige Card Member . all the Hotel Staff are Friendly (Mr. Peter Sy- Executive VIP Rooms SUPERVISOR and BUTLERS- Ms. Denise, Mr. Andrew, Ms. Olca) services are Excellent especially the Daily Foods are Personalized prepared for YOU, ohh soo YUMMY especially the Manila Hotel Service CAR will pick you up ON TIME upon Arrival @ the Airport w/ Smile...La Sallites (Taft Avenue Mla.) '80s

Room Tip: 15th Floor "Executive Rooms" are Highly Recommended to all BALIKBAYAN to stay...it's Q...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Alilc
Oskarshamn, Sweden
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Good location, nice and friendly personnel and room with a touch of luxury! We enjoyed dining at the hotel's resto and had a perfect drink at the bar with live music band a gorgeous singer who sings like a Goddess!

Room Tip: A perfect place to live <3
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank EmmaK52
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Situated on Manila bay and Roxas Blvd. near Intramuros - a grand old hotel from a bygone era whose marble and stone is etched with history and culture - a hotel that hosted the likes of Gen. Douglas MacArthur, Robert Kennedy, and The Beatles.
From the outside it is weathered and worn but once inside through the tight security and grand entrance you take a step back in time to when hotels treated guests as celebrities and sultans. I felt terribly under-dressed and yet I was treated as if i were Kipling himself. I was promptly escorted across old marble floors to a modern yet appropriately finished elevator that kept with the fine and classic craftsmanship of colonial artisans to the most well appointed room I have yet slept in.
The rooms are modern and updated. The bathroom has a modern and luxurious shower with separate tub that is so big that my six-one 215lbs almost nearly layed flat. The bed is super comfortable with the finest sheets and pillows. The furniture is classic and luxurious without seeming decadent. The in-room wifi was the best I have ever had in the Philippines (speed and reliability).
My room came with complimentary breakfast buffet for two. The buffet was without a doubt the best buffet I have ever seen. It seemed endless with the highest quality foods.
The pool was nice with private areas to relax undisturbed.
The bar was elegant and smug with history. The bar staff where particularly attentive and rife with stories.
Simply put, I love this hotel. If only the hotel lived in Makati it would be perfect for me as that is where I prefer to stay when in Manila. However it is perfectly situated for those wishing to explore old Manila/Intramuros/Baywalk/Binondo. I recommend this hotel absolutely.

Room Tip: West facing rooms look upon Manila Bay and the hotel pool and get the most spectacular sunset in Man...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ronald M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed twice in May...

The bed was amazing with soft sheets and great support, and we were far enough up that there is absolute quiet in the room. A good sleep is primarily what I look for in hotels :)

Check-in seems slower than normal, but that's also fine as then you get to spend time in the lovely lobby. Rest of the service from porters to greeters were excellent, polite and very friendly.

The only glitch is the breakfast. Food is great, but there are a lot of tables and a lot of people. We came in at about 9 am or so, and it was probably at the worst time. We were given a table, but when we came back from getting food from the buffet, they have given the table to other people. We were then shown another table (we were carrying our food the whole time), but then the people who went to the buffet came back to claim it as their table.

After this kerfuffle, we were shown to a private dining room, which is nice as we stayed away from the noise and our toddler can run free in the room. Being busy is not an excuse; this was a complete disaster, but at least, they fixed....

I would definitely come back, and perhaps they would have sorted the breakfast issue by then. (I think a simple trick like putting the coffee cups up to indicate that a table is taken would do the trick!)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family