“Great Eating Choice Just Around the Corner”

Bayview Park Hotel Manila
Ranked #16 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Rather than concentrate on the Bayview Park hotel and its fine rooms and service, I want to write about the "eating places" just around the corner.

As you leave the hotel you can turn right...by the time you get to the corner you can get sundries at 7/11 and other small stores. If you continue past 7/11 there is another hotel with a great restaurant, and live music most of the time (but definitely Thursday - Sunday) and they take requests.

If you leave the hotel and go left, there is a store similar to 7/11 and if you buy an ice cream cone you get a 2nd one for only 10 pesos! Continue around the corner and soon you will get to another hotel with a small restaurant. The best deal, and unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the restaurant (something like Healthy Delites?) is the first place that actually has a hanging sign. VERY tasty food with a large portion that can be shared.

Continue down the block and on the right is Jolibee's (same taste as McDonald's but cheaper) which also has spaghetti and sauce for about $1.50. On that same street is a sit down Chinese restaurant and some others.

So...you don't need a taxi for some close by eating establishments.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank BruceJackey
There are newer reviews for Bayview Park Hotel Manila

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I'm a student and I stayed here for a conference held at the PICC. The room itself was very nice. Spacious, wide variety of English and Filipino channels, well maintained bathroom and the beds were comfortable. It was very hot and humid and the air conditioner was quite noisy, so probably not suited for a romantic stay. But for a young student, I enjoyed the luxury of white sheets and every afternoon coming back to the room to find it had been tidied and new water bottles (because you can't drink from the taps). The service at the front desk was great and the people ARE SO FRIENDLY !!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AmiraMaria5
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Nice and clean rooms with both smoking and non-smoking rooms to accommodate any traveler. Close to many tourist sites, including the US Embassy, which is directly in front of the hotel itself. Rizal Park(Luneta) is only meters away along with the Manila Bay boardwalk to capture the romantic sunset of Manila Bay. Many clubs and shopping are available close by along with amusement parks and the famed Mall of Asia which is just a $5 dollar cab ride away. Ride the romantic Kalesa(horse drawn carriage through old Manila and see the sights with a different perspective. Many picture sights for the shutterbugs. Food is awesome anywhere you go and is within close proximity of everything. Just watch yourself at night and just stick to the cabs and have the meters running.
The hotel itself is comfortable and provides all the comforts for short stay tourists with a buffet breakfast offered in the morning until 10AM.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrades--usually available.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BOYPNOY
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Like many guests, we picked the hotel for its location. Walking distance to the Oceanpark and many restaurants and coffee shops. Staff was welcoming and efficient except for an instance where we had to call Room Service multiple times to pick up the dishes.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking floor facing Manila Bay
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank VanessaGJ
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Location, location, location!

OMG, next to the hotel is the Guereroplaza... you can play chess with the PNP(Philippine National Police)during their break. I did, I won! Who can ever say that he defeated the National Police? I can!
Opposite is the US Embassy...what a story. I walked along and I scolded them for...but I didn't see a hole in the street; I fell seriously down and sprained my right foot. In no time people came from the Embassy to help...Who can say he got personal help from an US Embassy? I can...

Security! Security! Security!

OMG; my Asian daughter spent 55 minutes in the bathroom and I fell asleep. The little boy(age=5, we nicknamed him "the professor") escaped...
I went down to the reception and the security said they had seen him 20 minutes ago... Alarm on every floor of the hotel, red alert. It took less than 2 minutes before the professor was found, crying next to a wastebin an the 8th floor.

Rooms are ok, buffet breakfast is more than ok. The children's educationroom on the 2nd floor is a real gem. Rates are normal. If in need you get help on every floor, yes!

Not ok is that a child of 4 years old has to pay Peso 485 for breakfast ( a half slice of bread and an quarter slice of cheese....)
Not always ok for the FIT(foreign indiv.traveller) is that "The Bayview" houses so many convention and groups....

Shall I ever go back? Yes sure, next year will be the 14th time in a row....

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 2jerome
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Last July 23-25, I attended a workshop held at this Hotel. I was pleasantly surprise at the courtesy of the staff and personnel of the hotel. although their business equipment left much too be desire their rooms were spacious, the bathrooms were well appointed and access to other facilities like Malls and other sites was pleasantly near. although our workshop food was order by our organizers, the food was not at par with a standard 3 star hotel. but overall I like the hotel for its location, rooms and location. I do plan to go back for my personal R and R.

Room Tip: not much can be said about location of each rooms best get the rooms from 2 to 3rd floors if your ju...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank William K
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I chose this hotel mainly because it was walking distance to the Marine Ocean Park (3 good blocks) and the Museum Pambata (1 block), and because it had a children's activity room and a swimming pool. I booked a suite for 5500p. The suite was very nice, with a huge cr (bathroom) and full-size bathtub. (The bathtub with hot water was a big hit on this trip!). The suite was advertised as a "queen bed and a sofa bed".

As usual, things aren't as promised. The "sofa" was a loveseat-sized sofa that DID NOT OPEN into a bed. Sorry, but in MY version of English, a "sofa bed" means a sofa that opens into a bed (where an ADULT can sleep). Their take is that when you remove the pillows, a child of about 5yo can lay flat and sleep. :( Very misleading and very unhappy about it. There were no sheets or anything to cover with -- another phone call to the front desk to get what was needed. Based on the sofa bed issue, I should have booked two regular rooms for 2000p. We never could get the aircons to cool the room nor could I ever get the included internet to work.

A side note: reservation was for FOUR persons ... only two towels. How many times should a guest have to call the front desk to get what should already be ready for him? :(

Unfortunately, our suite was the best experience of this hotel. Although the front desk were very nice and allowed us to check in early (very appreciated), the staff were "smiling" but obviously not happy or caring. Once they gave you "something" -- they were done with you and getting their attention was difficult, at best.

After our first day of sightseeing, we returned to the hotel, and to our room to freshen up. Then downstairs to dinner at the in-hotel restaurant. BIG MISTAKE. Everyone ordered the food they liked. After 30-40 minutes, the food arrived and even the children weren't happy and wouldn't eat their Filipino dishes (not hot, WAY-WAY-WAY too salty, and just "not masarap").

Mine however, was the worst. The picture in the menu of the pizza was beautiful. So I ordered it. It came last, closer to 40 minutes after ordering. And after two bites I declared that it was the worst soggy frozen pizza I have ever tasted in my life and refused to eat it. I called the server and asked them to fix me a hamburger as I was eating this disgusting pizza. Another 10 minutes passed, and the manager came over. Same explanation to her except that she admitted they hadn't started on my replacement hamburger yet. :( It was pouring rain outside and I didn't want to go anywhere, so I agreed to wait. Over an hour later, I am finished and paying a 1400p bill (two adults, two children - all still hungry).

We walked up stairs to the children's activity area. If your children are over 5yo, then the only thing for them will be two computers with games. Everything else will be ignored as it is designed for the youngest of children.

From there up to the room. What better activity now that we are in for the night (it is still raining hard) than to go swimming in the indoor pool? Everyone changes and off we go.

Only to find out that the pool closes at 5pm!!!! So much for family friendly.

The suite, booked for two adults and two children, had two free breakfasts included. Against my better judgement, we tried it. In most buffets, scrambled eggs are under-cooked slightly so they do not dry up on the warmer table. These eggs had to be DRAINED before you could put them into your plate.

If you want to toast your bread, be prepared to wait as they had one toaster oven that looked as though it came from someone's house. They also had rice, small vienna sausages, a Filipino soup, and one type of fruit. If you needed a plate (!), you had to wait as they don't have enough and had to wait for someone to finish eating so the plate could be washed. Sorry, but I am NOT kidding as I witnessed it with my own eyes.

And what was the price of these two additional breakfasts? 970p (about $24 for two children to eat a small soup dish that would have cost less than 100p outside the hotel). (There is no menu to order ala carte and 11yo's are adults!!!).

Would I ever stay here again? ONLY if I had an appointment at the US Embassy which was directly across the street. For any other reason, I would try a different hotel.

If you want a room in the price range of 2000p, across from Manila bay, and you stay away from the hotel restaurant, then this hotel is passable.

Starbucks is attached to the hotel (a big plus) and 7-11 is across the street from the Starbucks.

Read the other reviews of this hotel and then decide what you can live with. Just consider yourself warned about the hotel's restaurant. :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family