“OLD”

Bayview Park Hotel Manila
Ranked #18 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Old hotel... very small shower room, dirty windows and rooms smell old and rusty..
Location is superb if you need to go to US Embassy...
check in was quick but checking out took us a long time to finish...
Elevators were really old..
This hotel needed major renovation...

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sherll C

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Its right across the street from the US Embassy. Right across the street from Manila Bay. The price is more than reasonable and it includes breakfast which is pretty good. If you stay here ask to stay in the newer section as the rooms are bigger and better equipped. Its an older hotel but its still nice. I like the location. Its a 15 minute ride from MNL.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Onerenegade
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I wasn't very impressed with this hotel, a formerly grand hotel now catering to a mid-market clientelle. However what do you expect at this price?

A few grumbles:

Poor lighting.
There are only 40W old-style light-bulbs in the room, so the room is rather dark. The hotel refuses when asked to change the lights to a higher wattage, which is a little strange since they could increase the light output by the simple expedient of using power-saving bulbs.

Not enough power sockets.
There is only one electric socket in the rooms, and no international adaptors are available from room service. I needed to plug in several appliances, as I was
a) making myself coffee
b) I have a laptop
c) I have a mobile phone charger
d) I had asked for an extra light (typically for this hotel, this turned out to be a lamp without a light switch!).

So the result was that I constantly had to get up to unplug one thing and plug in another into the single wall outlet. Why impose these stresses on guests?

Poor food.
The breakfast is monotonous, with a narrow choice. This is food designed for middle income middle-aged people with large paunches. (The display of large paunches in the breakfast room is amazing!)

This breakfast must be single-handed a major contributor to the world's diabetes problem! Everything is sugared. The breakfast fare consists of (massively over-salted) congee, omelette, deep fried potato, deep fried meat, deep fried sausage, sweetened bread of various varieties. There are two fruit juices, each of the watery fake-juice variety. There actually IS salad, a few desultory leaves, but the only dressing is Thousand Island Dressing. Everything is low-quality.

The cheese is unutterably disgusting.

Noise.
If you are on the 9th Floor it can be very noisy at night. One night there was ferociously loud disco music till 1.00 pm. Boom, boom, boom, boom.

Expensive extras.
Laundry is at earth-shattering prices. Luckily, there are several laundries near the hotel which will do the job at a fraction of the price.

You are charged for city telephone calls, which are free to the hotel.

Late check out is of course charged (per hour).

If you request a bowl or cups in the room, this is charged.

Wi-fi is charged P300 / day.

Small swimming pool.
The pool is really not much fun.

The upside is that the rooms are OK, with good views if you select a corner room. The room staff are nice, though the front desk were initially a bit grumpy.

Hotels are now quite expensive in Manila, and this isn't the worst by any means. But it is disappointing, given that the management could fix many of these problems easily. Stronger light bulbs! Multi-sockets in the wall!

Room Tip: Good views if you select a corner room, which can also be larger than average.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank MatthewPollock
Reviewed 19 January 2014

In preparing my trip to the Philippines, I booked a short stay in the Bayview Park Hotel in Manila. Everything happened online so no further fuzz. A few days prior to leaving on vacation, I decided on reading some reviews on Tripadvisor. Gosh, I almost got scared.

Arriving in the hotel and straight to the reception. Friendly and swift assistance, even though the young receptionist was interrupted several times by telephone. In a few minutes, formalities were done (I had all documents at hand: passport, confirmation of booking and my credit card to verify I was who I am). Absolutely no horror story there.

The room on the sixth floor (street side so there was a view on the bay) was nice, comfortable, clean, cosy. Television, minibar (paying), airco (noisy machines I hate). Bathroom: clean, with enough space and warm water. If there is anything negative to say about the room (or rooms) it is that because the hotel isn't one of the youngest, isolation isn't optimal: you can hear the neighbours (and they you) and even on the sixth floor, I was troubled by the street noise). The view on the bay isn't really a bonus, at least not when I was there: whenever I looked outside in the morning or evening (only times besides the night the room was occupied), it was cloudy and rainy so not much of a view (and the window wasn't really clean, on the outside).

Breakfast: buffet style. I read some comments in which people complained about the absence of beans, bacon and eggs, but the Bayview Park is in Manila, not Britain! Enough variation!

For lunch or the evening meal, there are abundant places to fill the stomach. Restaurants, eating houses, street food... Just around the corner!

At the end of the vacation another night at the Bay View. Swift, professional... As the normal rooms where all occupied, it was a suite this time (no extra charge!). Spacious! Only negative bit was the waiting for the luggage which arrived in the room after a short reminder. As it was the festivity season, only a slight grumble.

Conclusion: the Bayview Park Hotel is certainly recommendable for short stays in Manila. I absolutely had no negative experiences here, except for the street noise, but I must admit I am a country boy.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room on the street side
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank KenyanHunter
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The staff is ok but not that kind or helpful like other hotels i have been in Manila. The room was big enough and clean. The wi fi didn't work the next day. The bottled water was charged 90 pessos. Poor breakfast and small place to eat. Good location, next to Rizal Park. Had sea view but there was a nasty dirty film on window which prevented me to see clear. For 37 euros i booked its ok but last time i saw 55 euros charge, which i consider too high.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KeaHolidays
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I will admit I usually stay at Best Western in Ermita when in Manila BUT it was full SO had to look again - I travel a lot - hate to chance a new place - read review on this one and were mixed.

I am not sure why BUT I think its because this was a 4 or 5 star hotel back 20 years ago.

Now its a very 3 star plus in my book!

Room was very good shape AND high up - 8th floor - high enough away from the busy area AND had good black out curtains etc - Shower AND sink had hot water AND not via heater but via building so lots of pressure and hot water!

I got the internet and breakfast included in my rate - bought direct from their website - saved me lots - paid 3k in peso for the night - including all that!

Internet was FAST - - wifi and was fast - worked great!

Next was breakfast - had lots of fruit and bread and then rice, chicken, hotdogs and eggs and vegetables - very good - for free I am all in! Coffee and juice was great too!

Taxi found the place easy - close to everything - STARBUCKS attached even - come on now!

Hotel taxi took me to the airport in rush hour - 600 peso and took 30 minutes - zoom zoom! Plus door guys found me taxi's when needed - made sure metered etc - its an older hotel - staff been there for years - they know what they are doing!

Make sure you get the free breakfast and unlimited internet - don't want to pay for that as I think is lots if not paid when you book!

Pictures on their site are new and show what you get and rooms are maybe updated even - I mean mine was very good!

Elevators all worked great and fast! I will be back!

I have stayed all over this city and many others - can't go wrong here! Ignore those not happy - from what I saw when I stayed - Jan 2014 - its all good - enjoy it!

Room Tip: I'd try to go higher up!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Dean P
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Booked for 2 rooms for our family on New Years Eve. The check in experience was really fast and efficient. In less than 5 minutes we were being handed over our room keys. Shortly after a courteous bell boy help us out with out luggages.
We were given rooms on the 3rd floor. 321 and 322.
Immediately after the elevator opens up and passing thru the hallway, I got dismay how the hotel looks really old. The old wall paint and esp the smell of the old carpet that really sucks.

As we open our room the same scent strucks us and it is really annoying. For both rooms. I immediately told the bell boy to ask housekeeping to spray some air freshener. Shortly after the guy from housekeeping started spraying air freshener.

The size of the room was nearly average and I doubt that the linens were properly washed and sanitized. The curtains were very dusty.

As we head to the roof deck poolside it was too small and crowded. The attended was not too helpful enough to provide us towels.

The guards were all polite and greets us all the time.

The next day we check out early as we have a flight to catch at 5pm. The check out process was again effecient and quick.

As we leave, we gave our vallet tickets to the attendants.
Not too long our car was already ready. Before leaving my husband did his usual 360 checks on the vehicle and to his surprise found a damage/scratch/dent on the rear bumper side.

The car was parked not in front of the hotel. Along the side of the streets. Were the parking space was so crucial it was parked head to head next to the other. The tendency of the car hitting yours was high.

We nearly wasted almost 1 hr for this as the attendants were pointing out to the evening shift employee.

Irrespective somebody has to give us answer. FNB Manager Mr. Burt came to check out the whole thing. He said they will conduct investigation. Gave us his business card and promise will get back to us soon.
We haven't heard anything from him until now. Did few international calls for feedback but was again promised that we will let us know.

• Stayed: January 2014