“Lovely Character”

Ranked #16 of 74 Manila B&B and Inns
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Lovely Character”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Not the flashiest place, but the character of the building is great, smell the oil as they oil the wooden areas, very basic, had a deluxe room, own bathroom, staff friendly, street outside busy, but you do not hear the noise, only 10 mins, walk to Robinsons Mall, lots of eating places around you.

Room Tip: If you want own bathroom go for the deluxe
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin C
Malate P, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this review, 11 May 2013
Than you for your favorable review. We appreciate it. Looking forward to your next stay with us. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our property and giving more value to our guests. have a great day. Jay Gutierrez - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I'm surprised this has so many good reviews, I guess those are from a long time ago before there was better alternatives. We paid the same amount here as we could have paid to stay in the Tune Hotel around the corner, which is br.

Ahhh Philippine wifi! Having just written a million reasons not to stay here the wifi in the airport disconnected, sorry not going to repeat just try somewhere else like Tune

Room Tip: Try somewhere else?
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pinheadplanet
Malate P, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you for your review. In our evaluation of other properties similar to Malate Pensionne, we now offer more value for the money to our guest than other area hotels and I am confident to say that we are also the safest. I invite you to come & see what we have to offer versus other similar properties in the area before you decide where to stay on your next visit. We continuously work harder at making Malate Pensionne truly "your Home Away From Home". More hotel amenities are in the works for the convenience and enjoyment of our future guest. Wishing you a great day and safe travel. Jay Gutierrez - Gen Mgr.

Travellers are raving about these Manila hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Just had a very bad experience with this hotel. Noisy rooms, cockroaches all over, dysfunctional shower, dysfunctional internet and worst of all - dysfunctional personnel, that steals, lies and covers up for each other. Stayed there before leaving for a week to Boracay and forgot my jacket in the room. I called the hotel the day after and was told by receptionist that they found it and I can pick it up when back to Manila. I even sent an e-mail reminder to make sure they have it ready for me to pick up. Well, upon arrival everybody acted like they know nothing about it. Totally rude and unhelpful. After long discussion somebody finally called somebody else, and I was told some messy story that my jacket was in fact never found. Yeah, right.
Malate pensionne workers, you should be ashamed of yourselves!!
Visitors who dare to stay in this place - make sure to watch your belongings.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Alina V
Malate P, General Manager at Malate Pensionne, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
Hello! I'm the general manager & I investigated this matter as soon as it was brought to my attention which was the following morning. My findings are that this was simply a misunderstanding between two staff members. After you called inquiring about your jacket that you thought you may have left in your room, the person whom you spoke to wrote your request on their log in short it said, "pls check room if red jacket found". The room attendant on that floor went to check your room thoroughly and didn't find it. When you called back, another reception desk staff who answered your call checked the entry and what she read was "red jacket found" without taking the time to completely read the entry from the beginning no matter how busy it gets at the front desk. I completely understand how you can feel the way you felt as I would most likely react the same way given the same circumstances. We have much more valuable articles left behind such as an IPad which was retrieved just yesterday. If our staff is what you say they are, we would not have lasted 39 years with so many returning guests preferring Malate Pensionne as their "home" in Manila. My apologies for the miscommunication and we have taken steps to ensure that this remains a rare if not the last occurrence of this kind. As hard as we all try to be perfect, we are all human and make honest mistakes. I don't think that there is anyone in the world who has not misread or misunderstood what was written or said. I sincerely hope that my explanation eases your anger as I can see that that jacket truly meant something to you. As far as cockroaches are concerned, we are vigilant about pests being that we are in a tropical place especially. I'm happy to report that as I make my rounds talking to our guests, no one has complained to me about it. Peace be with you. Jay - General Manager
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We arrived here at 4am having booked for the following night. The older woman on the reception desk was probably the most unfriendly person you could ever wish to meet! We were shown to our room (no 313 - old and tired) but charged at half-rate for an early check-in - perfectly reasonable. We were straight to bed and asleep in a double en-suite room with fan in one of the older parts of the inn but we were woken up at 8am by the renovation works; our room was right next to the major construction site. I complained at reception and the two younger receptionists and the manager were attentive and perfectly happy to move us across to the other side of the building into a superior room (no 449) with air-con and en-suite and more room for no extra charge. Although the builders were still using power tools and a pneumatic drill, we couldn't hear a thing over there.

The inn is close to the Robinson Mall and the waterfront is a short five-minute walk away. There's a western coffee shop in front of reception and there are plenty of cafes and bars all around - we spent the evening at the Rendez-vous bar next door drinking Red Horse with some strangers, had a wonderful time and somehow made it back to our room where we woke up at 10am remembering almost nothing! The laundry around the corner is connected to the hotel and 3.4kg of laundry cost Php 170, washed, dried and folded within six hours of putting it in.

Check-out was easy but make sure you show your check-out slip to the security guard at the gate. He'll be quite happy to get you a taxi cab off the street which have meters - the airport (terminal 1) is less than Php150 away.

A week later, I tried to book again for one night but the place was fully booked.

Room Tip: Ask to move away from the renovations.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charliechariot
Thank you for your review. In our evaluation of other properties similar to Malate Pensionne, we now offer more value for the money to our guest than other area hotels and I am confident to say that we are also the safest. I invite you to come & see what we have to offer versus other similar properties in the area. We continuously work harder at making Malate Pensionne truly "your Home Away From Home". More hotel amenities are in the works for the convenience and enjoyment of our future guest. Wishing you a great day and safe travel. Jay Gutierrez - Gen Mgr.
London
Reviewed 20 January 2013

After our last 2 experiences in Manila this place was a breath of fresh air.

If you are backpacking and are on a budet please stay here and not at the other places. This place is clean, has friendly staff, the room was bright and its a million times better than the place up the road! Put simply, please stay for your sake! :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PaulFarrugia
Thank you for your review and vote of confidence. In our evaluation of other properties similar to Malate Pensionne, we now offer more value for the money to our guest than other area hotels and I am confident to say that we are also the safest. You will be delighted at the new amenities that come with your next stay. We continuously work harder at making Malate Pensionne truly "your Home Away From Home". More hotel amenities are in the works for the convenience and enjoyment of our future guest. Wishing you a great day and safe travel. Jay Gutierrez - Gen Mgr.
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Upon arrival to the pensionne we were greeted by a security guard with a big smile. What a great welcome to the Philippines! I had stayed there back in the early 1990's and am just as happy with this stay as I was back then! They are in the process of making renovations to the place and I must say that I love the changes! The new modern reception area with the receptionists wearing traditional Filipino clothing gives it that old world charm. I love how spacious and open the reception area is. The ladies working at the front desk also greeted we with that same big smile. The beautiful garden is no longer there but it has been replaced by a nice waterfall and to my understanding they are talking about an outside seating area.

Towards the back there is a sitting area with computers for guests to use. I noticed several guests on their iPad using Skype. There is also refreshments for sale as well as other items. This is the area where I noticed/heard the construction. It didn't bother me because I know that the next time I return there will be a beautiful guest lounge area. There was no construction materials laying around and the construction workers were nice and polite. The fact that people were on Skype told me that the noise was not much of a bother to them as well.

Our room was quaint. I particularly loved the high ceilings, it made the room appear more spacious. It was a light yellow color with white trim. The room had a closet, AC (aircon), ceiling fan, lockbox (you need to bring your own lock), a refrigerator, two tier table, vanity and chair, a queen size and twin size bed. I loved the sheets! It had a cute pattern that I am fond of. There was plenty of room for our large suitcases, we stayed a week, and all our belongings. The room was nice and clean and they cleaned it everyday while we were there. We also got fresh linnens everyday. I understand that the mattress are all new in the Pensionne.

The bathroom was nice and clean. There was plenty of room on the bathroom vanity for ALL my products! The shower was spacious! We had a minor problem with the toilet not flushing but that was fixed within minutes of me letting them know! They are really fast at making things right. Management followed up with me to make sure there was no other problems which there wasn't.

All the staff was nice an friendly. Everyone had a smile for us. We were even invited to join the staff Christmas party and join in their buffet dinner! That is more than I have ever experienced while staying at a hotel in the States! We were impressed with how respectful Filipinos are. We were called ma'am and sir during our stay. We noticed the management talking to gusts and we also got a chance to talk to them also. They call him sir Jay and the owner mommy Rosie. We enjoyed talking to them and hearing about the rich history of the place.

There is a coffee house on the premises "The Coffee Bean". Every morning we got a coupon for free coffee and tasty toast! I have to admit, being back in the States I kind of miss that tasty toast.

We felt welcome during our stay at Malate Pensionne. It is a nice and clean place with that old world charm. We can't wait until our next visit and will defenately return.

Room Tip: Ask for a private bathroom and aircon (AC)
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Happy_2_Travel_12
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 27 December 2012

The energy when you enter the Pensionne is radiant and warm. A sense of comfort comes over you in moments. The staff is charming, kind and accommodating. The room was spacious with a bright, refreshing pallet of colors and very clean. The courtesy staff was excellent and kept the room tidy each and every day. Malate Pensionne is in the perfect location with many restaurants, markets and attractions nearby. There is a premium coffee house located on the premises and the establishment is only moments away from Manila Bay.

I would highly recommend Malate Pensionne to anyone in need of clean, comfortable lodging with a bright and vibrant staff.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple