“Excellent way to spend the day!”

Old Manila Walks - Day Tours
Ranked #7 of 31 Tours in Manila
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The guide was professional yet very entertaining and knowledgeable. Be forewarned...there is SO much food to eat! Don't eat breakfast beforehand like I did or you will miss out because your belly just cannot hold anymore. The guide took me into alleys and 'strange' restaurants that I never would have found on my own, all the while educating me on the history of the 'Chinoy' culture. I loved this tour!

2  Thank kreids5
"tummy"
"chinatown"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I honestly can't recommend this guy or his tour enough. We did the BIG Binondo Food WOKing tour of Chinatown on a Saturday morning and with Ivan as our guide, it was an incredibly fulfilling experience in every sense.

We had purposefully skipped breakfast beforehand and we were all really hungry as a result when we started the tour at 9am. After a short and interesting introduction, we headed off to the first of our 6 eating stops and boy did we get our money's worth. Ivan is clearly really passionate about what he does and what you get is a very informative tour combined with a 3 and a half hour culinary feast. You always had the option of getting seconds if you wanted them and despite the fact that I'm a really big eater, I was pretty much full after only our second stop for food. The offerings kept coming, however, and they were so delicious and varied that we continued to indulge right up until lunchtime. It was quite simply awesome and excellent value for money.

If you're thinking of doing the tour I'd recommend you check beforehand whether Ivan himself is running it, and if he is, go for it. You won't be disappointed. Make sure to tell him in advance if you're vegetarian and if so, he'll make arrangements for you to be catered for accordingly.

We're so grateful to you for making this tour possible for us Ivan after events at Lunar New Year. See you on the Chinese Cemetery tour soon. Many thanks from Sean, Jo and Toni.

1  Thank Sidney_Ruff_Diamond
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

The tour yesterday felt like a true Filipino home visit right around Ivan's backyard. He was very keen on acknowledging each one us like one lovely host. Nakaka-proud to be Pinoy knowing there are folks like him sharing knowledge of our culture to many.

I'll invite more friends next time. Yes, I'll do it again!

- Jeng

1  Thank bigsismcbribe
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I took part in the BIG Binondo Food Wok tour today and it was a fantastic introduction to a part of Manila that would otherwise be slightly impenetrable as a tourist. It was great to learn about the history of the area, Ivan, the tour guide, was extremely informative and has a charming sense of humour, and best of all, we were extremely well-fed. The tour was a great opportunity for people to sample typical local Chinese dishes and snacks that they might otherwise never think to order or try. A really great tour, highly recommended!

5  Thank Stephanie E
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I took the "wok-ing" tour this past Saturday morning with two friends and we all were impressed with the tour. This was my first time in Manila and my two friends have been living there for about 6 months. This tour took all of us through parts of Manila not previously visited and kept us well fed along the way. If we liked any of the food we were trying, we could get more. The food was fairly diverse, giving the participants a good overview / sampling of some regional Chinese food (Cantonese / Xinjiang / Fujian). The most interesting part was hearing the history of the Chinese in the Philippines. I personally enjoy walking and exploring as a way to get to know a new city. Having a guide and being fed along the way, just made it better.

5  Thank Jeff H