“Great Value”
Review of City Garden Suites

City Garden Suites
Ranked #19 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Recommended to me by a local this is a great hotel. I believe the Lotus Garden Hotel just a few yards down Mabini Street is part of the same group.

The rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff were great. We had a one bedroom suite. We were in the old wing and the bathroom was a little small with the shower above a small bathtub. I am told the rooms in the newer wing have walk in showers and bigger bathrooms.

The room had an electronic safety deposit box. There was free wifi. The included breakfast was good with eggs cooked to order.

Robinsons Mall is a short walk away with a plethora of restaurants and ATMs. I also walked to Ocean Park and Rizal Park. I had read reports in Tripadvisor of gangs of children mugging tourists in the area. No sign of that and I felt perfectly safe walking back to the hotel at 9pm from Robinsons (I am not one for late nights).

It took about 20 minutes by taxi to get to the hotel from Terminal One of NAIA using Roxas Boulevard at midday.

The only very slight negative when checking in were the two guests being served in front of me. One older and one middle aged obese western gentlemen. After negotiating with reception over the room rate they were given their respective keys by the attractive receptionist. The younger man leant over the counter so his face was only a few inches from the receptionists and leered "This room is going to be the lovenest". Completely unnecessary and to her credit the receptionist was not physically sick and just maintained her smile and ignored the slime ball. Thankfully I did not see these two specimens again.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and had no complaints.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steam2010
CITYMANILA, Reservations Officer at City Garden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Thank you for your comment.As our receptionist are highly trained to be very professional, we promise that we would maintain your positive outlook and we would handle guest with utmost care.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

Stayed at the City Garden Mabini on many occasions over the years. Not a bad setup if taking a suite...but very overpriced and a poor relative to City Garden Makati.
Not a great location for tourists but well placed if hitting the nightlife!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Ross M

Thank you for your comment. As we would like to guarantee that our rooms are priced as value for your money ,our prices are carefully decided to be responsible and affordable.Rest assured that we will be offering a reasonable price at an extravagant service.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

Let me first state that I flew in late on a Monday night from the U.S. in October 2012. I needed to sleep some the next day to catch-up on the long flight. I was in room 602 which ended up being above the 5th floor which was under a total demo remodel. For either hours the next day I heard hammers, scrapers, pounding, etc. I finally went downstairs to see the floors in the room below me being torn up.

Oops. When I told the front desk they said it was the "last day of construction. Uh huh...not so. I only stayed two day so not a huge deal but I wish they would have told me while I checked in.

Pretty decent location. I paid $57 a night U.S. Nice folks at the bar in the lobby always willing to help with direction. Safe place too.

The area is pretty decent although many warnings about being pick pocketed but that is not the hotels fault.

On my return trip I stayed in another hotel. Might be better once the remodel is done so I give this a pass and an average rating.

Sorry for the poor pic.

Room Tip: Not above the room being remodeled : )
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank supernova72
Reviewed 10 October 2012

The adobo which is offered by the hotel's restaurant is great tasting. We really ate a lot of it. My friends and I truly enjoyed the adobo. The room where we stayed is nice and clean. The bathroom looked fresh and new. The Room Attendant assigned in our room is good looking including the Bellman who assisted us with our luggage.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sammy C
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Pretty good location. A wonderful place to stay in Manila. The staff is super friendly and helpful and the rooms are good. I recommend this for those who want to stay in a quiet, comfortable place in the middle of busy Manila.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank dgm_12
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I have been to various hotels, ranging from middle to first class through local and international visits, but I have to admit in one way or another, that City Garden meets almost all my expectations.
Because I had to move in a place condusive for me to travel with ease, I decided to choose a spot somewhere in Ermita, Manila. People see this place almost like Vegas because of the busy lights going on at night and it's real close to many desirable places.
This is where I found CGS and made it my site of choice.
A lot of reasons I can point out on this. First, the price is affordable, atleast to a traveller like me, I need a lot of things to consider, and one of them is cost. At 60 dollars, I get to have free breakfast. Secondly, the receiving area is highly attractive with the attendants being pleasant and accommodating. I have to say the room I got is simple but very neat and I have all the necessary things I need. I got to choose the room with a bath tub instead of a walk-n shower, and it is something I don't normally get to see everyday from the other hotels. Since I am fond of watching tv, I commend that the tv has a cable which features a lot of channels I can choose from. I can clearly say I liked the room, because it was nicely maintained. The lights are well lit. No bugs nor pests. I was well alright with it while working on my schedules the whole night. The air conditioning was just okay that it didnt worry my sleep.
I had no problems with travelling from here and to since the street in front is heavy with commuting cabs with fair rate. You can always walk around to nearby malls and bars. I must say i enjoyed my stay in Manila because I got a new place where I can always look forward to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank origin_of_shah
Reviewed 5 October 2012

The hotel is classified as a standard class, however, the rooms are five-star quality! The rates are very affordable too. The buffet selection is also commendable. Truly you get your money's worth. I will convince my colleagues who opted to stay in other hotels in the area when we return sometime in May 2013.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business