“Decent Hotel Good Location”
Review of City Garden Suites

City Garden Suites
Ranked #19 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Decent Hotel Good Location”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is a pretty good deal. Close to the high dollar hotels and the Makati strip, just a few blocks away. Clean, professional hotel with a very good breakfast which includes a large buffet and custom omelet.

The room was clean. Staff was excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cincytraveler53

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

Great value for the rooms. Clean, has all needed amenities. Showers are clean. The best point is the staff are extremely friendly and helpful, just tell them your request and they'll try their best to accommodate you. Recap, amenities, central location, restaurants, shopping, and staff. A win for travelers.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Maryborough, Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

good value for money, comfortable, clean and tidy, great shower and great breakfast, room has a safe, mattress was a bit wirey, good service. Close to luneta and convenience store. Not really a nice area in the street there but always easy to get a taxi.

Room Tip: make sure you specify smoking or non smoking because the smoking rooms stink if your a non smoker
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KrispyAus
Pasay, Philippines
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here when he came home last March. I booked a superior room online weeks before. We came early around 11.30 am, and the reception assisted and checked us in immediately, without any hassle. Also, they upgraded us to the Deluxe Room. We were assisted very well.

However, there were minor flaws, such as, the window type aircon, though working well, is almost falling apart and quite noisy. Secondly, you can hear people talking from the other room. But, well, the room is clean and comfy, so it was all okay. Also, we were out almost the whole day.

During the night, we spend an hour or two at the bar, near the entrance wherein the bartender Alvin made us feel at home. He was really nice and attentive. And, he really deserved the good tip that we, my husband and I, separately gave him. Good bar service, quick and efficient, and the food was also great.

The next day, however, we came down to the restaurant for the breakfast buffet. There were a lot to choose from. But the thing that kept on bothering me, [or is it just me, really?], is the way the waitresses were gossiping all together in a single place as if it was their break time. There were many guests at that time, and I even heard two waitresses talking about the foreigner with a Filipino partner. I think that was very inappropriate. They're supposed to make their guests feel comfortable at all times. They shouldn't mind other people's businesses.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Butuan City
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I was expecting more about this hotel, especially from the staff.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were not assisted on our baggage. But it is fine coz you know, we only have a few.. but to think that we just came off all the way from the airport, of course, it was obvious that we are so tired..

Also, the receptionists.. THEY ARE THE WORST EVER! However, it is cool that they gave us a deluxe room instead of the superior room booked. The story was they forgot to note our reservation, and so the room that's reserved for us was taken. The lady at the reception attempted to give us an option of a smoking room with 2 single beds or a non-smoking room with 1 double bed/Queen bed. I traveled with my new friend and we wanted a 2 separate bed. I hesitated and so the lady asked us to check the rooms first. So, we went up escorted with the guy receptionist and checked the rooms if we would like them. When we checked them, we find it not nice, so we hesitated again. Suddenly, the guy called the receptionist and told the lady at the reception that we are already "FINE" with the room they have us seen. I was like, " REALLY?, DID I SAY THAT??" So, we went down using the elevator. At the reception area, I could no longer hold myself and tolerate the so BAD treatment.. we were treated like kids who dont know what to get. Of all the hotels I have been, this CITY GARDEN SUITES in Ermita is the worst, as far as hotel staff is concerned. However, I like how the housekeeping staff treated us. :) they are cool and so helpful :)

so, PROS and CONS:

PROS:
> the AC is good
> the shower is functional
> location wise (just a walking distance away from St.Luke's and Robinson's)
> the dining area is nice.. the food was okay. :)
> the fridge was good. it was functional, same with the blower :) but not really very good, but it was good to have it there. :)

CONS:
> obviously, the receptionists :p

> the card that serves as the key.. we cant open the door right away. you need to validate the card everyday.. I was like, " wtf?" :p there were times when we were so full from our meal and run up to the room to poop but we cant open the door right away! HAHA. soooo annoying! >.<

> the complimentary bottled water. ( we checked in for 4 nights and we only had water ONCE!. Their policy is that bottled water is only given at the first night. I was like, " so cheap ha! " it is supposed to be everyday coz we pay on a daily basis.

> Our room was not cleaned everyday. :( the housekeeping personnel was cool, but they didnt clean our room everyday. They knock once and if you are inside and wanna stay a bit more in the room, they will never come back to make your room :p so always remember to call them when you go out so they will make your room, unlike other hotels, when you come back, your room is already made up.

> The toiletries are not replaced everyday, the reception said, "it's available upon request" lol, was my first time to hear that :p

> the BED! the bed was not good. it was not soft, yet bouncy :p i dont know how to term that correctly but it wasnt a good one, same with the covers.. I need to fold it so the other layer of the obviously old cotton cover wont touch my nose when I sleep :p i dont want to inhale cotton fibers :p

> The slippers. The room was booked for 2 guests, but there was only 1 pair of slippers.. and the rest of the slippers were for sale.

So overall, I wasnt satisfied with this hotel. I hope they will improve their policies and get amiable and friendly staff so even if the hotel is not so nice, but if the people serving is really nice, the hotel will still be given justice :p ( joke )

Anyway, the experience we had at City Garden in Ermita was a nightmare :p I should have booked other hotels nearby St.Lukes. :) I will definitely not coming back, unless I will read new reviews here stating improvements.

That's all folks! It's all up to you to book or not this hotel... However, it goes with a case to case basis and it's a shame we had a terrible one :p

Goodluck to all! ;)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ava_aubrey
Pattaya, Thailand
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Needed a place in Ermita for couple nights, and got this hotel suggested for me. Heck, would've been better just taking the taxi ride to Makati really. Stayed in the Junior Suite, and while it's not even near the worst room I've stayed at, it's not worth the money at all. Too highly praised at TA, really.

Staff at the hotel is very nice and I didn't run across any issues with them, so that's a deifinite plus. But the place itself is quite old and could use a little recovery.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I'm not sure why this place gets such high reviews. Definitely not deserving of them in my opinion. Had a two night stay here and hated it.

Room was quite small even by Philippine standards and had a very musty/stale odor. Hot water in the bathroom was extremely hot, to the point of dangerous - especially to children. Also difficult to control temperature. Had to constantly readjust the cold and hot water valves to maintain a decent temperature. Lighting in the room was also poor. Even with all lights on, it was still rather dark. Door was very thin or hollow allowing for a lot of the hallway noises to enter the room.

My particular room was down the hall and around the corner from the elevator, yet I still heard the incessant 'dinging' from the elevator when it would stop on my floor.

In addition, on both mornings of my stay, workers from the hotel started doing some maintenance in the hall and stairwell around 5:40am. Talking loudly and banging their equipment. Totally disregarding guests who might actually wish to be sleeping at that hour.

Would never stay at this hotel again, nor recommend this hotel to anyone else. There are plenty of better options in Manila for the same, if not better price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo