“A Friendly Hotel, With excellent staff”
Review of The Pearl Manila

The Pearl Manila
Ranked #76 of 111 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this wonderful hotel, yes it's showing signs of wear and tear, but I guarantee that you won't find more friendlier staff anywhere in Manila.
The rooms are a little dated, but they are exceptionally clean and comfortable with good air conditioning units.

I've stayed in many hotels, but very few have impressed me like this one. I have never met more helpful and friendly staff anywhere in the world, they are an absolute credit to the hotel.

Stayed: April 2014
6  Thank ianlowe1970
pearlmanila, Manager at The Pearl Manila, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2015

Hi Sir,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Pearl Manila Hotel.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. The staff is committed in delivery excellent guest service, and I am happy you noticed. Guest are treated as members of our family and your comments will greatly motivate our staff to maintain it. Status of our hotel are noted for future improvements.

Looking to forward to serve you again, the Pearl Manila way...

Best regards,

Claire Ortiz
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel is well located. That said, the carpets in the hallways should be removed as they are horribly stained. The room itself is clean and reasonably appointed. The one huge plus is a rooftop swimming pool with chaise lounges. Which is unusual in Manila Most have pool but no place to lounge about.
I would stay again but for the lack of wifi!! It's a small thing to install routers!!
At first the hotel wished to charge me 1800 pesos extra for a room with cable but backed down and thankfully gave it to me without extra charge.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Laura A
Reviewed 20 February 2014

we could not find a room for a last minute booking in the area near Intramuros. In fact no even this had room s available, according to their reception, but one booking online site sold us the room and it was available! Nothing special in this hotel, save a swimming pool on the 9th floor, where you will also find the reception (?).
We had paid in advance the full amount, not too expensive, but at registration they asked for a 1.000 PHP as down-payment to be returned in case all is OK (?).
The hotel has not been renovated for some time, judging by the style and by the furniture, but it is OK, could do with a better cleaning, but not too bad.
Breakfast not so good, the buffet was there, but not operative, and the menu list just OK, just OK also the food.
All in all, not a bad experience for the price paid. But we are told the price was a special deal, with more then 50% discount, If this was true, then the full price would have been much too much.

Room Tip: there is am open air swimming pool on the 9th floor, so, if you are fond of swimming, try a near roo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This hotel has passed it's prime, but don't be worried, the staff are friendly, our room was clean, the air con worked, hot water was provided for drinks on request for our bedroom, an iron was loaned,breakfast was cooked to our request. We felt secure at all times. My wallet, containing a lot of local currency, fell out of my pocket in one of the hotel armchairs, and it was handed back to me, having been found by one of the staff. Quite amazing honesty. The swimming pool is clean and on the 9 floor. The hotel charges are reasonable for the area..

Internet access was only available on the 9 floor but worked very well.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nigel P
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My first impression about the hotel is not that good. I find the lobby gloomy and old. It needs a renovation in design. But when we already went to one of its restaurants, I then realized the place is not that bad. They have this buttered salmon which I really like and the staff are very courteous. The price for what we have eaten is very reasonable compared with others.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night with my wife before going to the airport the next day. Checked in to one room, and the safe did not work, carpet dirty and stained and room looked like it hadn't been painted in a long long time. Manager came and safe could not be fixed so moved to a new room. New room did look a small bit cleaner and nice pool view. Room suppose to have 2 bottles of complimentary water, requested these at the bar and the bar tried to charge me for them. Then requested these at the reception and it was about 1 hour before they were brought to the room. We had actually gone to bed. There are 2 bedside tables and behind one of them, there was an open condom wrapper(not ours). The hot and cold water were in the opposite taps. By far the most disturbing thing was at about 4am I had to get up out of the bed as I felt I was been eaten alive by insects and had to jump into the shower. It was disgusting. Next morning I had bites all over my two feet, and on my flight home, I had a reaction to these bites and had to go to the doctor where I had to take cream and tablets for this. Hotel said we could stay longer in our room and have a late check out and wanted to charge us the same price again as we paid for staying a night in the hotel and that was to stay an extra 2 to 3 hours, no thank you. The noise of the air con is like a helicopter taking off in your room, very loud and you will not be able to sleep. I have never left a post on these sites before but I just think there is a need to warn others of this hotel. Will never ever stay there again.

Room Tip: If your room looks dirty, ask to see another one and your room MIGHT be a bit cleaner if your lucky.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 94Fitzy2013
Reviewed 6 September 2013

At the entrance facing the main road (Taft Ave.), it was a Saturday and it seemed close. the alley was dark, smelly and scary. There was nobody in the reception area on the 1st floor. We didn't even know that we have to proceed straight to ? floor for another reception area.

The check-in was a hussle. The staff seemed untrained. One of the groups (I was with my hotel management students and the immersion was for their subject) had to numerously transfer room since the aircon was dripping wet straight from their bed, the carpet was soaking wet and flooded. Couldn't get some sleep since water motor/heater from the bathroom was making terrible noise. Had trouble with opening the door with key cards since the staff gave us wrong ones! Food was terrible and overpriced PERIOD. Had to get a "coupon" just to use the gym. Aren't those checked-in guests supposed to be automatically entitled to any amenities a hotel has? Staff were rude and unwelcoming. Checking-out was more hussle than the checking-in procedure!

All in all, terrible. Won't go back there even if it's for free.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business