“Fall from grace”

Ranked #21 of 108 Hotels in Manila
London, United Kingdom
“Fall from grace”
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

I reviewed this hotel, positively, about 18 months ago but returned and had a far worse experience.

We had a one night stop over with a very early morning flight, so picked somewhere familiar to get a bit of food and a few hours sleep before departing at 3am.

Baggage and reception staff did well, they were polite and helpful. I want to make that clear. Things started to go badly wrong at the point we ordered room service.

We ordered a couple of dishes and drinks; one dish being fried chicken and chips. I'd had a stomach upset the previous day so wanted something quite safe (by comparison to my familiar English diet). The second piece of chicken I picked up to eat had a quite big bloody patch on the bottom. Pretty disgusting, but I put it to one side and picked up the rest to check - three others were similar (though to a less extent). I called room service and asked them to collect. They apologised and said they'd cook it again. Things wouldn't have been so bad if at this point they'd just accepted that I lost my appetite and no longer wanted the food (besides, I'd had some of the other food and that was settling in my stomach - I didn't want more food an hour later).

On the phone they told me they couldn't do that because it was "in the computer". More their problem than mine I thought. They did send somebody to collect it, but then half an hour later (when me and my partner were in bed trying to sleep ahead of our flight) a woman came back with another plate. I repeated that I don't want it and a longer than necessary conversation ensued, they just wouldn't take no for an answer. Finally she left, we went back to bed. Half an hour later, she came back with another woman and contined to debate the cancellation - saying because I'd eaten one piece they shouldn't cancel. A ridiculous argument as that would imply every diner has to check their whole meal before eating any of it. Eventually they had to accept my refusal to pay and did go away.

The point of my stay was a quick bite to eat and short sleep before a flight, none of which were helped by the room service staff. So, despite the other merits and efforts of other staff my visit failed in its findamental purpose.

This is a one person anecdote, and if you're not interested in room service unlikely to affect you, but it does show a pretty poor side to their customer service.

As an aside; I rated down cleanliness and rooms as the interior is getting quite dated and there are little things here and there that could do with freshening up (or fixing).

• Stayed May 2013
Emmerich L, Manager at Riviera Mansion Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Sir,
I sincerely apologize for the incident. I have looked into it and have found out that it was due to some new kitchen staff who may be lacking a bit in the common sense department. Excellent customer service is our passion and this was certainly a lapse in judgement. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Rest assured that they will be retrained to prevent similar incidents in the future.
Please check your inbox as I have sent you a personal note. I hope that you will still consider staying with us in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We stayed at the Riveria for a total of 5 nights during our two week stay in the philippines. We enjoyed every bit of it. The rooms were very clean and spacious with a large bathroom. You can reach Robinson Plaza (which is a big mall) within a 5min walk from the Hotel. The service is fantastic and the staff do there very best to accomodate your every need. They even let us store our large luggage at the hotel during our small island trips around the country which was very convienient. The hotel offers free wifi in the lobby, (wi fi in the rooms are a bit costly). There is also a small resrtraunt/bar in the lobby that serves a decent breakfast in the morning.(although service could be faster)
Also: Although the higher floors (12 and above) offer decent views of the city and even Manila Bay, the elevator is quite slow. So if your not the patient type. Choose a lower floor. Also be sure to book your hotel online as you tend to get a free breakfast voucher.

All in all the hotel is great choice for a stay in Manila offering everything a budget traveler needs and more. We look forward to staying here again the next time we are in Manila.

Room Tip: Although the higher floors (12 and above) offer decent views of the city and even Manila Bay, the el...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jochey
Emmerich L, Manager at Riviera Mansion Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 13 March 2013

The room I stayed in was large, clean and most things worked as expected. Bathroom was large with excellent hot water from the shower. Unfortunately there was no deadbolt on the door nor did the security chain work - it was too short and could never have worked. Bed was comfortable with nice sheets and covers. Staff were friendly and checkin/checkout was fast and smooth. Good location within easy distance of Robinson's Mall and even Harrisons Plaza.

My main gripes with this hotel was the price for wireless Internet access in your room - one hour cost 100 pesos - and cellphone coverage was spotty. I did not have a signal at times for some reason. This is the only reason I did not give this hotel a very good rating.

Would stay here again if the price was right.

Room Tip: Pick a room with an exterior window,
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank alkonost45
Thank you for your feedback. We currently offer free hi speed internet for your mobile devices and laptops at the lobby and coffee shop area. More areas will follow in the near future. I apologize for the inconveniences you had encountered during your stay. We will definitely look into these concerns.
new jersey
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I stayed in the premier room for a few days. Front desk was very responsive to my rescheduling needs via email. Housekeeping does a good job keeping it squeaky clean. The furniture was in very good condition however its decor may be from the 90's. I think the small old style tube TV needs to be replaced with a flat panel TV (at least for the higher priced rooms). The bathroom looks to be recently renovated and modern. One issue that I would like management to look into for future guests is the access into the bathroom. There is a three inch high threshold that you have to step over to get to the bathroom. I must have banged my foot into it at least three times leaving me with a painful bruise under my toenail. It can certainly be a tripping hazard especially in the middle of the night if you don't look. Location is more suitable for the adult traveler as the hotel is located in an entertainment district. A big mall is two blocks away with plenty of nice restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank puwit
Malaybalay City, Philippines
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We stayed at riviera mansion for 2 nights last feb 23 & 24, 2013, we are a big group & we occupied 5 rooms (3 deluxe & 2 premier) service is excellent and the rooms are clean and decent, the only downside is the dead spots of the cellular phone connection, we have a.hard time contacting our group because of the choppy signal inside the hotel and we had a hard time receiving calls from home. Hope the management could fix that. We stayed at the sixth floor but still the signal is bad. I have internet in my phone but i cannot use it when we had a slight problem with our flight booking. I tried to have a web check- in but i cannot do it since there's no printer in computer in the the business center beside the restaurant. But still we had a great stay in the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the higher floors cellular signal,might be better....
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Emmerich L, Manager at Riviera Mansion Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
I am glad you had a great stay and that you enjoyed the new Premier rooms. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for the third time. For future printing needs, please advise our front desk personnel and we can print anything for you at reception.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Stayed 4 nights. Rooms are fine. Breakfast room is small for the number of rooms and not buffet style, so portion control in swing. Breakfast nothing great. The staff as ever very helpful and the duty manager went out of his way to help me with internet search (I had no laptop). They do not get upset if you keep changing your guests in the rooms.. We had 2 rooms and some 8 people in all staying overnight. (But never more than 2 in room on any night).. They looked sort of amused as different members of family/friends came and went each morning.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Donald A
Hi there, it was a pleasure to have helped you with your internet search. Thanks for the feedback regarding our breakfast. I will be working on improving the breakfast that we currently serve. Hope to see you again soon.
toronto
Reviewed 17 February 2013

i had a great stay at my favourite malate hotel , i stayed here so many times i lost count , great location near the mall , i really love the fact i have so many options for food only a 5 min walk . i would like to say the girls at front desk do a great job , if your looking for a nice hotel in the heart of malate this is a great choice for under 60$

Room Tip: try and get room at back of hotel , street noise is loud
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
On behalf of the front desk reception staff, thanks for your kind words.