“nice hotel but too much beggars outside”

Riviera Mansion Hotel
Ranked #19 of 111 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We like this hotel because the room is big and clean..safety deposit box are provided for free , wifi is free for lobby and caffe but expensive and slow in the room..
Foods are great with a lot of variations,,griendly staff as well and attentive to the guest..
Bad side of this hotel location too much beggars and prostitutes running around the area and its annoying..
Every body is friendly from guards to house keepers..

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dianne_tjm
Emmerich L, Manager at Riviera Mansion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Hi Dianne, I'm glad you enjoyed our room and our staff's hospitality. I understand your concern regarding the beggars in the area. The business owners are working with the city government to implement programs to help beggars leave this way of life. At the same time, we strongly urge tourists to refrain from giving alms to the beggars. Please give to the Department of Social Welfare instead of giving directly to the beggars. Giving directly to beggars encourages them to stay on the streets and use the money for drugs or gambling.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed two nights here when an out-of-town friend came to visit. A bit pricier than other hotels in the same street but sleep quality and service is better. Ordered room service, and the food is bigger in serving and tasted great too, not too expensive as well.

What I like about this hotel is that they call you up first when there is a visitor.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors have very bad (close to none) signal. Choose higher rooms instead.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank cookingmasterboy
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Nice hotel, clean and large rooms, staff pretty nice, food good and cant beat the free breakfast(if you purchased it or otherwise kinda expensive).Just remember here in the Philippines you only get one beverage so drink slowly as they are small and expensive.. However, please beware that on Mabini St. where hotel is located....pick pockets run rampant!!!! I was pickpocketed within 30 feet of the hotel entrance by street beggars. They are little kids...Popped my secured pocket open with just one bump and had my passport, cash and credit cards stolen in one second..This hotel is located cross from a casino so perfect place to lose your items. I talked with another American at the US Embassy and he was robbed as well there last year. Then your trip is spent at the US Embassy getting a replacement passport!!! Staff offered no help and in fact had to stay over another nite there waiting on my passport and hotel charged me more per night than the original rate and new all my money had been stolen!!!!Be prepared to have more money wired!!! Very apologetic but nevered offered ANYTHING....Staff didnt seem concerned cause they just blew off what had happened...Only one who cared was the officer in charge!!! But still nothing...Will not stay there again.....Being a traveler here with no id, no creditcards, and no cash....and noone seems to care..Plus should get free wifi for what you pay!!!!! Near mall just dont get robbed going there!!!.I will never stay here again and make sure none of my acquaintances stay there either...

Room Tip: Rooms on front can be loud on lower levels due to casino traffic. We were on 7th floor and still he...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank J B
Emmerich L, Manager at Riviera Mansion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

I am sorry to hear that you were robbed while walking the streets. The hotel owners in the area are continuously working with the local police to make the area safe for tourists. We have safety deposit boxes at the front office for your valuables and we also have safety deposit boxes in the rooms all at no charge. Guests are encouraged to leave their important items especially passports in the safety deposit boxes to prevent incidents like yours.
Please note that our staff did care. Our staff worked with the local police department and were succesful in tracking down the suspects. We were able to recover your passport and IDs. Unfortunately, this was after you had departed.
You had mentioned, "Nice hotel, clean and large rooms, staff pretty nice, food good and cant beat the free breakfast." Thank you for that, we hope that because of that you would come back and stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

location was very very bad- this part of malate (and also pretty much the rest of malate as well) is just disgusting- full of teenage prostitution, lots if homeless kids sleeping in the streets and an unsafe feeling at night.

rooms was ok but had an industrial air conditioner in the room which freezes you to death at its lowest level, impossible to sleep.

Staff was nice and we even got upgraded to a "suite" - still doesn't worse it...

trust me, makati is a completely different world and is much more safe and modern plus it's take less time to get there because traffic to malate bad all day and night

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Stavsh
Emmerich L, Manager at Riviera Mansion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

I am glad that you liked our rooms and our service. Regardless, I am sorry to hear that you did not like Malate and prefer Makati. Malate and Makati are 2 very different places. Makati with its modern tall buildings and wide streets. Malate, on the other hand, has its own old world charm being one of the oldest cities in Manila. It is near historic places like Intramuros, the walled city with old houses and churches. Rizal Park and Manila Bay are also nearby. A casino across our hotel and a huge mall a few steps away. All these places are within walking distance and there is no need to take a cab (except for Intramuros). Bars are also in abundance. Yes, there are beggars on the streets ( but the police are cracking down on this and the city mayor is in full support). All these contribute to a lively scene all day and all night. If you need peace and quiet from the hustle and bustle outside, stay in one of our VIP rooms and soak in the bathtub. It's definitely not a place for everyone but for sure you won't get bored.

Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights last week for an exhibition in Diamond hotel. Situated in front of a busy road and casino, we find it very noisy at night till about 5 a.m. in the morning.
Our room was upgraded from deluxe to superior which was good as we brought in large boxes and luggages.
Elevator was slow so we used the staircase whenever going down. Robinson Place mall was just a 5-7 mins walk and we had our dinners here.
The hotel do not provide iron and ironing board or even ironing service so bring your own iron..we had a bad experience wearing crumpled clothes for the exhibition!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I have stayed here many times, I enjoy my stay but I must say , no free wifi is a problem for me, the free wifi in lobby is hit and miss and its too crowded with others wanting the same . the rooms are nice and quiet. and in area close to mall

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed there for 2 days and i have really no complaints except the room service and the cafe. First morning, i was the first at the cafe and ordered my breakfast. The lady asked me what i wanted and i said bacon and the eggs scrambled. After about 10 minutes breakfast arrived but it was ham and the eggs were sunny side up. I told the waiter and he talked to the lady. After another wait they gave me the bacon but the eggs still not scrambled.i just ate as its just a small matter. Then also had room service for lunch. I ordered a shake as well. As i was eating, found out there was no straw! The funny thing is the shake looks more like shaved ice dumped into the juice so did not call for the straw anymore. Take note that the shake arrived less than 5 mintues and its already like that.

Anyhow for dinner ordered korean noodles with egg and blt. When it arrived, i thought the egg was in the noodles but not there so i told them. 5 minutes passed and someone came and just checked there was really no egg! Then he left and after about 10-15 minutes, someone called and asked if i wantes a boiled or fried egg! Why ask just now instead of when i first ordered is beyond me. Anyway after almost 10 minutes the egg came and all was good except im done eating. the only excuse they gave me was the cooks were busy. Not even a valid excuse and what about the bacon-ham n egg mistake when i was the first in the cafe? Their cooks are still sleepy? Haha

The food service aside, i find it funny that the front desk called me on the second day just to tell me that the room i was in is an upgrade they made when i checked in the other day. Why not tell me the time i checked in?

Other than that my stay was ok.not sure about the complaints on the elevator being slow but it is a typical elevator found throughout the philippines.

• Stayed: October 2013