“Questionable Service - Fly The Bus”

Swagman RPL Hotel Manila
Ranked #90 of 111 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I am reporting on a rather unpleasant incident regarding the Swagman Fly the Bus March 24-27, 2013.

I have used this service from manila to Angeles several times over the years. On March 24th we arrived at the Ermita Swagman at 11:00 am expecting to take the 11:30 bus to Angeles. When attempting to pay for 2 one way seats the girl at the desk told me that there was no air conditioning on the bus as it was broken. "Is that OK" she asked. as it was already about 90 degrees I assured her that it was not OK and I told her ewe would find another way to AC.

I called one of my very reliable taxi drivers and we were on our way in about 15 minuets for 2500 PHP. Oh Well!!

On Tuesday evening March 26 I telephoned the Swagman Fly The Bus Angeles office. I specifically asked if all the air conditioning problems were solves as I wanted to leave Angeles the following day for Manila. I was assured that the necessary repairs were made and that the air conditioning was working perfectly. I made the reservation for the following morning and their van picked up at our hotel before noon and took us to the Brass Knob where the bus was waiting. From there we stopped at the swagman for a few minuets and then proceeded towards the expressway.

It soon became apparent the the air conditioning was not on. I asked the attendant if there was a problem with the air conditioning and was told that it was broken. She also told me that the bus was experiencing overheating problems. I was again an extremely hot day. Physically, it could have been dangerous for me to be stuck in the hot bus for 2 hours. The attendant suggested that the passengers just open the windows and everything would be fine. After some additional discussion she even offered a 100 peso discount for the lack of air conditioning. Are you kidding.

At that point I told her that I would be unable to take the trip. There was much discussion between her and the driver and the driver by phone with their office. According to my girlfriend who was interpreting, the driver did not want to drive all the way to Manila with no Air.

We stopped at the Expressway entrance and was told a van was coming to return anyone who, wanted to go to their hotel. I demanded and received a full refund.

About 30 minuets later a van came. We had them drop us at the Brass Knob. When we arrived there we almost immediately boarded a very comfortable Southern Cross van to the Southern Cross in Ermita.

Traffic was very heavy this afternoon and I am sure that the Bus would have taken about 3 hours.

I will be using Southern Cross transport in the future. They have much nicer and better maintained vehicles that Swagman Fly The Bus.

Room Tip: There are much nicer hotels in Ermita.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
17  Thank 324432443jp

Reviewed 8 March 2013

This is a hugely important and historic hotel most known for the quantities of booze and babes (that is likely a stretch) consumed by its residents. Any randy Aussie north of the 50 year mark and visiting Manila has shagged here at least once--Bedbugs be damned!! The rooms aren't the attraction, it's the residents. Think of Crocodile Dundee, but missing a few teeth, smelling extraordinarily gamy, having a case of the crabs and a bit of a drip--but smiling and ready to tackle any lass within the city of Manila and that about sums up the charm of this place. What's not to like?

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank B F
Reviewed 6 February 2013 via mobile

I stay here everytime i come to Manila !
Reasonably priced and safe area with alot of security ! The staff are great and are very helpful !
It's a good place to bring your family !
Food is really nice !

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank Craboo1972
Reviewed 14 January 2013

The Swagman in Ermita, Manila has had it's day I'm afraid. First stayed there about fifteen years ago and thought it was overrated, over priced and old then - nothing has changed except it is more overrated, over priced and run down! The only good point is the Fly-the-Bus transport system that runs through the Swagman organisation.
I stayed in a deluxe room this stay and the room could only be described as a "dump" - dark, musky and mouldy- a shock to the system really. I knew it wasn't going to be "five star" but have stayed in far better rooms around the Philippines for a lot less,
The restaurant has also declined in quality of food over the years also.
To be honest, I couldn't recommend this place except for the Flu-the-Bus system.

Room Tip: The top rooms are far better but for value, look for surrounding hotels.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
10  Thank AlanJH1945
Reviewed 27 December 2012

I have stayed at this hotel regularly over the past few years and sadly seen both the condition of the hotel and the service decline. I was to be picked up from my Qantas flight at 7 pm on 21 December and was left behind. If you travel to the Philippines or for that matter any place I would suggest having a list of useful numbers noted down for such an emergency. I bought a sim card at the airport and contacted the hotel they informed me that they thought I was not coming. My bag was one of the last off but I thought they would have waited. Two hours later I finally arrived at the hotel. Having experienced problems with air con before at the hotel I asked for a room with good air con. The room I was given had an air con that worked intermittently. If I was staying longer than one night I would have asked for a change of room.

Room was old, faded and peeling paint, 2 cockroaches on the bathroom floor, with a hard bed. The decor of the room would be generously described as tired.

One indication of it being a hotel being run into the ground was the automatic assembly line type toaster had broken down and been replaced with a 2 toast popup toaster and less staff on at breakfast .Those that were on though were very pleasant and polite.

On the positive side it is near a range of activities. I would highly recommend a visit to the Cowboy Grill. A classy large restaurant with fantastic bands and moderately priced meals. My top restaurant in Manila.

Biggest appeal is the free shuttle to the hotel from the airport.

In summary, regretfully, I will end my 7 yr relationship with this hotel. The airport service, the condition of the rooms, the lack of WORKING air con, AND THE EVER INCREASING PRICES means it is not just poor value for money but an experience I wish to forget.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with working air con. If you do not get it ask to move. I asked for good air con and...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
13  Thank Zeus C
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I have stayed Swagman Manila many times.Really only the location is favourable.They have a free airport pick up and drop off but this is covered by the above average fees they charge for rooms.The rooms are small,cleanliness is questionable and even their food is over priced but adequate. Their saving grace is they know the meaning of COLD beer!.
Swagman is close to Ermita nite life, USA Embassy and Roxas Blvd but the area is a haven for addicts, drop outs and beggars but their are some quite nice upscale restaurants and several large Shopping Malls.

Room Tip: The higher up you go the more expensive but a rickety lift and hard to find fire escapes are a downe...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank tagabukid
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We were offered a room at the last minute due to our ferry to Sabang being cancelled. Although grateful for the room, we could not spend more than a night there (and we have backpacked the world over). The room was depressing and dangerous. The aircon ran (not dripped) like a tap. And when we turned it off so that the room wouldnt flood, sparks flew and it made a very unhealthy sound before shutting down. The mini-bar was not working, there were dirty marks on the pillows and the room had a mouldy odour.
It has the seedy feel of a hotel you would book for an hour or so, for a bit of ummm, business!
The service they provide, however, getting to Sabang or Puerto Galera is very good and takes a lot of hassle out of trying to get there yourself

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple