“an average place”

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“an average place”
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

manila zoo is good if you have kids with you. the place is not that huge but in fairness it is clean. you can see not too many animals but it is okay for us coz their animals cannot be seen from our place like tigers, lion and specially mali the elephant. they have also playground for kids and canteen if you became hungry in your visit.

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Manila, Philippines
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nostalgia, Surprise and Encouraged”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have not been to Manila Zoo for well over 30 years, if memory serves me right. After an invitation of a church friend to me and my family to visit it once again a few months ago, it was an invitation that I now gladly have accepted. Seeing the environs brings me back to memories of a school field trip way back in Kindergarten. Seeing the new displays, the improvements and additions made and are still being made, the zeal of the staff and volunteers in maintaining and improving the Manila Zoo and their care and love for the animals cared for there, its a place I would gladly invite friends to visit more often. Looking forward to future opportunities in helping out the Manila Zoo.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Carl Y
Marawi, Philippines
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 261 helpful votes
“Child Again”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I know it’s interesting but way back when I was a kid, I asked my parents to take me to Manila and hit the zoo when we get here. Now that I’m an adult and earning on my own, I was a little bit curios of what’s inside Manila Zoo. Though I've been to different zoos across the country, I’m still wondering what it looks like in the Asia’s oldest zoo. How does it feel to be there for the first time now that I’m already an adult? Will I still feel the same excitement that I felt when I was a kid seeing wild animals in captivity for the first time? Those were the questions that kept creeping in my mind. How does it feel to be a child again? It was a short notice by some of my friends here in Manila for a zoo visit and so we hastily went to the Manila Zoological and Botanical Garden. The zoo's most popular resident is Mali, an Asian elephant who arrived at the zoo as an orphaned calf donated from Sri Lanka. Mali is the only Elephant in the Manila zoo, and in fact the only Elephant in the Philippines. When I look at Mali, the elephant, I could see some loneliness on her face. As seen in the wild, elephants travel in close knit herds, constantly surrounded by family and friends. I notice that she repeatedly walk up to the edge of her enclosure and stretch her foot out over the empty space, hoping to go further. After taking pictures with her, we went our way to other animals; I notice that some of the enclosures (crocodiles’ den for example) were dirty and full of litter. I notice one boy shouting at the immobile croc asking it to move and with all his might he threw a half filled plastic water bottle at the croc. I scolded the kid, and the poor fellow was startled and ran to his mom looking at me scared. The croc was still immobile though. Ostriches and cassowaries were fed by visitors with peanuts and chips. There were a lot of peddlers around selling goods and souvenirs around the zoo making the surroundings crowded and look ugly. Worst case that I notice was that there was an enclosure full of monkeys and it seems that the visitors enjoyed throwing food and junk at them. Monkeys on the other hand fight over the things that were thrown to them. The visitors were delighted to watch and they were clapping at those crazy monkeys fighting over the food. On the other side, there were a number of enclosed tigers as well, they were 2-3 tigers locked up on each enclosure. For what I’ve known tigers are solitary animals, it seems that the tigers lost its territorial mentality in this situation. Visitors were not oriented not to feed the animals and not to throw litter anywhere. The zoo attendants didn’t mind about it at all. I got the attention of one of the attendants telling them what I noticed and just smirked at me of the fact that we were just paying fifty pesos for the entrance fee. It sends a message that the cheap fees justify the lack of maintenance and ordinance implementation in the zoo. Well, I was disgusted of the fact that the zoo looked like a slum, like that of a shanty neighborhood downtown. And Manila Zoo by the way is a public entity; for sure at least a part of our taxes may go for the improvement of the zoo. There were some amenities that will let you “unwind” like boating, rock climbing and food stalls that were all sore to the garden’s edifice. Well it’s totally different if you’re well traveled and seen a lot of things. You will always know the difference and learn a lot from it as well. I enjoyed cam whoring with some birds and reptiles which at first I was hesitant to do so, but these barkers know how to run their businesses. A hundred pesos for 3 pictures with those cute animals wasn't that bad at all, though some animals looked harassed already. But I think that’s enough already to tell us humans sometimes we should be sensitive to the creatures that couldn't talk and react like us. I always remember my biology professor in college said, a countrymen’s cultural intellectuality can be determined on how they will take care of their biodiversity. I wish I was a child again so that I won’t notice these things up.

Visited June 2013
6 Thank Joseph Bernard A
London, United Kingdom
172 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“enjoyable morning”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This cost P100 to get in .You then pay another P100 pesos if you want to visit a section where you can have your photo holding a bid,snake or monkey.There are also other people selling photos at P100 pesos a time with similar animals.We enjoyed our walk around the small zoo and got to mingle with the local people.The zoo is only a five minute tricycle ride (P50 pesos ) from the train station Qutirino and a five minute taxi ride (p100 pesos...make sure you insist taxi puts meter on) to th Harrison Plaz if you fancy shopping/meal after.Some of the animals such as the lions were in small cages which was upsetting but overall a pleasant visit.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank queencharlie
Florida, USA
159 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 191 helpful votes
“Needs a lot of work”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I was simply appalled walking through this zoo. The place absolutely reeked upon entry. I don't know where the last reviewer visited, but this zoo is anything but neat and clean. Take a look at the pictures I posted and see for yourself if you would consider this place neat and clean. The animal enclosures for a lot of the animals are very small, and dirty. I saw lots of employees standing around talking, but no one addressing the pressing maintenance issues that are all through the zoo. I understand that Manila is a poor city, but that is not an excuse for the terrible state that the zoo is in. If the workers that I saw standing around were actually working the zoo could at least be clean. 100 peso's entry fee for Non-manila residents. (around $2 US.)

Visited March 2014