“Worth to visit”

Ranked #2 of 141 things to do in Manila
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Intramuros, "The Walled City," is the oldest district in Manila. This is what remains of the fortified city, which was the seat of power during Spanish Colonial times (1521-1898).
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I was lucky had free old manila tours, we were visited intramous area, I had good experience I love all about this place, lot of historical place, old buildings with great architecture, ruins, it must be really beautiful place back then..
We also visited fort Santiago and rizal's last step before he was executed, it is great historical sites, worth to visit.
Fyi our melting pot hostels have free old manila tours. I recommended this place so you can get free tours also free information about old manila.

1  Thank rani a

Reviewed 27 April 2014

as the Intramuros serves as the oldest district in Manila.We can thinked and say that this is one of the soul history of the Philippines.Strolling the area can reflect of the significance of our culture.Very dim,quiet and magical things to experience the travel time of Spanish colonial times of it.

1  Thank enjoyfunlovetravels
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Probably one of my favorite places, we would always go here right after school and just hang out. Quite a nice place for a quick stroll then have lunch after. It's not advisable to go here at night since usually the street lights are very dim and doesn't even seem to helping at all to remove darkness sometimes.

1  Thank Jv S
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall, a Confucian line I remembered when i entered this famous walled city in Manila. Indeed it is like a magical thing to experience as if you time traveled back to the Spanish Colonial times. I remember this is one of the places I always wish to go. I'm glad that I was able to visit Intramuros like I always planned since the 5th grade. The entrance fees for Fort Santiago were quite reasonable. We also have a great time roaming around on board a horse-pulled coach. Though the fare for the coach was expensive, I thought it was worth trying. The walled city was really a picturesque of our rich culture. You can definitely see the devastation, you can still feel a strong sense of history and mystery on a visit. It tells about how Filipinos love patriotism and freedom. The walls, gates and bulwarks are accessible, although they are weedy and a bit bumpy. It is possible to walk on the 4.5km-long rampart. I’m not pretty sure if there were actual tourist guides around the Fort. But I think each person paying the ticket should be entitled of a walking tourist guide for them to be educated about the Fort. I find it awkward that even the tourist guides, have this trait called Colonial Mentality. They don't even take care of you especially if you are a local. I thought I was left out of place and to think you are still a tourist who is so eager to check around and learn something about the place. Nevertheless the tourist guides are rather eager to entertain foreigner tourists thinking that they will get a tip or something from them. I heard one tourist guide saying, "Puchaks walang tip, sana yung isa na lang kinuha ko!" (Damn i got no tips at all, I should have got the other group of tourists instead). The Admin should get some tourist guides that are hardworking at the same time engaged and not expecting something in return when they are doing their jobs. Honestly, it breaks my heart to hear that. Though we are hardworking bunch of people, it hurts when I find a Filipino so materialistic. Thinking that I'm paying the same entrance fee with those foreign tourists. Even the guards wearing the costume are not so happy to show you around and help you get some pictures for souvenir. Gruesome truth about tourism here in the Philippines.

1  Thank Joseph Bernard A
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Walking to Intramuros from the Manila Hotel it's sad to see the poverty and decay of corruption along the main road. Once inside the walls you feel absorbed by the history and it's good to see that the local tourist operators recognise the ability to generate income from people who aren't just here for the less desirable side of Manila. The various churches, buildings and gardens are seeped in history and well worth spending half a day exploring. Definitely opt for a horse/cart or one of the bicycle powered carts to take you around as it's very humid and there is (obviously) no air conditioning. Try to go in the early morning or evening to avoid the heat of the day - we went on a Saturday and it was very quiet (maybe this was because it was Easter weekend though).

1  Thank warrencammack