“A must see”

Ranked #4 of 140 things to do in Manila
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum and public park was built as a stone fortress at the turn of the 17th century and marked the beginning of the walled city's riverside barricades.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 5 May 2014

For first time travellers to Manila, it will be good to visit Fort Santiago. It has a lot of history in it. You will understand the Philippines better, if you are aware of its past. You can go there on your own, and explore the place or join the tour of Fort Santiago and Intramuros by Carlos Celdran. He is the best.... he can give you a tour and history lessons in a very passionate and dramatic matter which I truly appreciate. Even if I learned Philippine history in the classroom, I learned more interesting information of out history from Carlos Celdran.

2  Thank Char I
There are newer reviews for Fort Santiago

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Been to Manila a couple of times and didn't know this existed. There car parking near the entrance, cant miss it, lots of people there trying to sell stuff.
Entrance is 50 peso (around 70p) its very clean and peaceful, which makes a change from Manila. There are toilets at the entrance and beautiful garden in front.
It was nice to walk around, although not that informative but nice to get away from the hussle and bustle of Manila.

2  Thank citygirl850
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I worked near Fort Santiago when I lived in Manila but I never visited this place. I wanted my kids(teens) to experience a taste of filipino history hence a Fort Santiago. To fully appreciate FS take the guided tour. Ask for Georgie who is both knowledgable and entertaining. He will take you around the sights with commentary and on board a calesa. It ends with a sing a long on Victoria building.

1  Thank adelemow
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I been here twice since during student's field trip,Fort Santiago is a must included attraction to visit.But now that I'm old enough when I came back,I can say that this place had really walked the history of our country.Quiet place.

1  Thank enjoyfunlovetravels
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I was lucky that I had a local friend who was accompanying me... He walked me through the history of Manila while we walked through old Manila
If you are not interested in historical monuments, forts and talk about how cities were lost and won, you may not find it fun... The walk could be really long and tiring... You can hire a guide with a a'zipny (kind of a tri-cycle)... I will highly recommend you to either read a book before you get there or hire a guide...
The history of Colonisation, Spanish, American, Japanese, and then freedom, Authoritarian government all is so much to keep you occupied while you walk along... There are a few souvenir shops from where you can buy some stuff to take back...