“Eat all you can!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cabalen
Ranked #1,218 of 1,761 Restaurants in Quezon City
Cuisines: Philippine, Asian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Makati, Philippines
“Eat all you can!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

The eat all you can at their Market! Market! branch is okay if you want to eat a lot if you're on a budget. The variety is just okay for the price of Php 300/pax. You got to try the crispy kangkong and the halo-halo for dessert.

Visited December 2012
5 Thank rickyemerald

Manila
“Filipino Food Trip”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

I had high expectations considering the roots of Cabalen. Because I missed Filipino cuisine, I vouched the resto. We arrived with just a handful of customers and yet the service was slow. I am usually excited with Sinigang but it was rather disappointing. The Kare-kare, on the other hand, was better.

Visited February 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Bring back the glory to that name Cabalen”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

We held our daughter’s christening reception at Cabalen (Fiesta Market Market, Taguig City) last 10 Feb 2013. We opted for a restaurant with buffet for this particular event because we didn’t want to go through the nitty-gritty details of organizing such event since I work overseas and we’re only in Manila for 2 weeks for the event. Contacting and booking went smoothly, the reservation was for 2 only which is good because we want to keep it simple and we just want our guests to be well-fed and satisfied. We got there 20 mins earlier than scheduled but since the area that we booked is empty, they were able to accommodate us early (and we appreciate that).

What really surprised me was the food in general. We used to dine in Cabalen (years back) because we enjoy the variety of food they serve for their buffet, but I guess over the years - instead of them improving their business - it deteriorated (at least in my opinion). It really wasn’t what I was expecting, not to mention the fact that this branch in Fiesta Market Market is quite new (they just recently opened). And the worst part is that, I got one of the guests complaining after the party, about how one staff practically asked her NOT TO get the Litsong Balat (which is MALUTONG) but to get the meat part of the (roasted pork) Litson instead, and didn’t give any reason WHY they couldn’t put that on their plate. That I don’t appreciate.

I would still want to hold parties, buffet style. But prolly not in Cabalen anymore. The place itself is too small. But I have to give it to them, the staff in general are helpful, approachable and very attentive to everyone’s needs. But if you’re looking for good, palatable and acceptable food to eat, I wouldn’t recommend Cabalen, at least for now.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank DesTamps
Quezon City, Philippines
“Buffet food that is served on and on and on and on....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

The affordable eat-all-you-can rate enticed us to dine in Cabalen...but I would like to note a few--I have dined in various Cabalen restos but one thing is consistent. The quality of food is poor. Since it is a buffet, I had the impression that food from the past day is recycled until it is no longer okay to serve. Meat is dry and bland. Veggies are soggy. I swear not to go back again.

4 Thank AileenDLV
Manila, Philippines
“A shadow of what it used to be”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

I recently tried the Cabalen buffet again after more than a decade, and sadly, it no longer offers the same variety of food items that it used to, particularly the more exotic items. You now have standard Filipino fare of varied quality, ranging from good to mediocre. Nothing excellent or worth mentioning, other than the fact that the dirt-cheap price includes lechon de leche.

They're sacrificed quality and variety for affordability, and it's a shame. But their strategy seemed to work, as the place was packed.

Not bad food, but not good, either. Perhaps if I didn't know what this restaurant was like in its heyday, I might have been more forgiving with my review.

• Visited December 2012