“Philippine cuisine, buffet style”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cabalen

Cabalen
Ranked #1,221 of 1,780 Restaurants in Quezon City
Cuisines: Philippine, Asian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
qc
“Philippine cuisine, buffet style”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

Our balikbayan relatives would usually try the various dishes mostly made from local ingredients. They can eat everything they want because it's eat all you can. Our guests would also like to try the different flavors of the many dishes that they can offer. Don't rush though and eat slowly.

1 Thank raaQc

Sydney Australia
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

I was looking forward to a buffet of my favourite Filo food after years living overseas. My BFF recommended this place. Dishes were served and replenished sparingly. My companions were too shy and timid to say anything, but I could see from their empty plates that they could not refill these. I stood up and approached the manager to draw her attention to the missing dishes. What is lechon without the sauce? At least six dishes were left unrefilled in ten minutes (I timed it). There was no shortage of staff, just food shortage. I promised her I would make sure that everyone knew what a scam this buffet is. Not worth your money, should get a refund for all the missing food. If you bring guests to this place you will be embarrassed.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank VivG
Makati, Philippines
“Eat all you can!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

The eat all you can at their Market! Market! branch is okay if you want to eat a lot if you're on a budget. The variety is just okay for the price of Php 300/pax. You got to try the crispy kangkong and the halo-halo for dessert.

Visited December 2012
5 Thank rickyemerald
Manila
“Filipino Food Trip”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

I had high expectations considering the roots of Cabalen. Because I missed Filipino cuisine, I vouched the resto. We arrived with just a handful of customers and yet the service was slow. I am usually excited with Sinigang but it was rather disappointing. The Kare-kare, on the other hand, was better.

Visited February 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Bring back the glory to that name Cabalen”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

We held our daughter’s christening reception at Cabalen (Fiesta Market Market, Taguig City) last 10 Feb 2013. We opted for a restaurant with buffet for this particular event because we didn’t want to go through the nitty-gritty details of organizing such event since I work overseas and we’re only in Manila for 2 weeks for the event. Contacting and booking went smoothly, the reservation was for 2 only which is good because we want to keep it simple and we just want our guests to be well-fed and satisfied. We got there 20 mins earlier than scheduled but since the area that we booked is empty, they were able to accommodate us early (and we appreciate that).

What really surprised me was the food in general. We used to dine in Cabalen (years back) because we enjoy the variety of food they serve for their buffet, but I guess over the years - instead of them improving their business - it deteriorated (at least in my opinion). It really wasn’t what I was expecting, not to mention the fact that this branch in Fiesta Market Market is quite new (they just recently opened). And the worst part is that, I got one of the guests complaining after the party, about how one staff practically asked her NOT TO get the Litsong Balat (which is MALUTONG) but to get the meat part of the (roasted pork) Litson instead, and didn’t give any reason WHY they couldn’t put that on their plate. That I don’t appreciate.

I would still want to hold parties, buffet style. But prolly not in Cabalen anymore. The place itself is too small. But I have to give it to them, the staff in general are helpful, approachable and very attentive to everyone’s needs. But if you’re looking for good, palatable and acceptable food to eat, I wouldn’t recommend Cabalen, at least for now.

• Visited February 2013