“Orange place, not necessarily a red alert”
Review of The Hostel Co

The Hostel Co
The Hostel Co
Ranked #14 of 37 Quezon City B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Orange place, not necessarily a red alert”
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I 've chosen the hotel because of its proximity to where my friends/family live. I shall stay here again as this is 'best' hotel within walking distance. I have a funny feeling that the hotel pics of the rooms were taken when the hotel was very new, and therefore came to me as a surprise when I saw it. There are no lifts and the menu is a bit limited if one's vegetarian. Again I had to remind myself that it aint a 5 star hotel. Staff are very friendly and helpful from day 1, upon knowing that I'd be staying there for a week, they made the effort to find out my preferred breakfast(s). There is hot water shower, the pressure's pretty average so prepare to 'take' a long one. If one's after a hotel with no frills in Quezon City around Kamias, I think this is the only choice with bare 'western' standards, unless one's prepared to pay more around Timog Avenue - a good 15 minute away where the nightlife is.

Room Tip: if free wi-fi access is top of your needs choose rooms on the first floor (second floor in American...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank captaintradeway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Whenever summer approaches, the first question that comes to my mind is where can I cool down? Much as I want to go to a resort, sometimes time and budget aren't there to support you. So, I go to the net and look for decent hotels that are within your budget to stay just for a night. To enjoy unlimited service of their air con without calculating your electric bill for the next month and enjoy cable T.V. with no outside disturbances.

When I looked up Orange Place Hotel, I was surprised to know that they relocated already from Katipunan to Kamias. Well, it is somehow a good thing for me because Kamias is nearer than Katipunan to where I stay.

I didn't expect too much because I have already tried their branch in Katipunan decades ago and it was just a simple room with air con and television.

When I got inside their Standard room, I was shocked to see that their room became smaller compared before. The bed was big and comfortable but their television was awfully small. The bathroom was small also but it was still usable.

One night costs more than 1,500 with complimentary breakfast. I felt that it costs much based on the appearance of the room that I stayed in. My room was near the highway so even if it was like one in the morning, I could still hear all sorts of vehicles.

The food was good maybe because the place was affiliated with Cravings but nothing special. I have checked their rates now and it costs almost 2,000 a night.

In my opinion, the price is too steep. There are other better places that you can try with the similar rate or much cheaper.

Room Tip: Pick the room opposite the highway because it can be too noisy even early in the morning.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank tuffy0706
justphoebe
Reviewed 8 January 2012

The Orange Place is okay, if you're on a budget, not too fussy about location. I got their regular room, which was okay, rather small, but it seemed well-kept, and clean. The same could be said about the tiny toilet and shower. If you stay at the Orange Place, make sure you bring your own toiletries, as what they provide is the bare minimum, and very poor quality. DO NOT attempt to use the toothbrush in their clean up kit, unless you are into swallowing plastic bristles.
Pros : very cheap, clean, and staff are very polite and accommodating.
Cons: poor location, in a rather shabby part of town, doors have no peepholes, chains, or double locks.
I paid for 2 nights, but decided to check out after spending a sleepless night, concerned for my safety, as I was travelling alone.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We stayed here as a couple on a holiday vacation from the United Kingdom. Since this was planned to be a long vacation of three weeks I had a budget to stick to but also wanted a place that offered quality. I am glad to say that the Orange Place hotel meets these criterias.

Having not been on holiday to the Philippines for over 4 years, this was an important trip back home. We were a bit cautious at first due to the first room we were shown however we were given options and shown alternative rooms.

The room was adequate for the stay. There are many positive points to the hotel such as the location, free wifi, 24hour security, strong air-conditioning and a cafe downstairs! As a person that works in the hospitality sector, I cannot help but be critical of other businesses, but overall I was impressed with how accommodating the hotel is.

The staff in general deserve a special mention for there strong customer focus and generally welcoming presence. Thank you kindly for looking after us, in particular to Alex for his constant hard work and the manager Paul for being so accommodating.

Mark Tobias

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Mark T
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2011

The staff at Orange Place made us feel very welcome. During our two week stay, it seemed like we were home away from home. The staff are the friendliest we have ever met. The hotel was central to transport and the malls. All in all, we were very happy with our stay and would recommend them to all our family & friends.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family